997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Do I need to move to a GT3?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 03:46 PM
The Greek is a splendid one to beholdThe Greek is a splendid one to beholdThe Greek is a splendid one to beholdThe Greek is a splendid one to beholdThe Greek is a splendid one to beholdThe Greek is a splendid one to beholdThe Greek is a splendid one to behold
I am in the same exact boat, as I own a 2009 C2S. I plan on upgrading to a .1 GT3, or if I find a good deal, a .2 GT3.

Here is my take: I loved driving the C2S on the track, but ultimately I was bothered by the fact that the car is not made for the track as a GT3 is. Not to say it wasnt fast or competent, but after riding in my buddy's 2007 GT3, riding in my car was a little depressing. Cant describe it. Its just the feeling you get driving that car. The redline, the brakes, the sharp handing. It all just comes together harmoniously on the track....

Now of course you can buy a spec track car, but thats not for me. I want a car that I can enjoy on the street, maybe swap brakes/wheels at most, and boom, I have a toy on the track that makes me smile from ear to ear. The engine isnt bulletproof, but your not doomed for failure like some people are hinting at. Its the law of averages really. Personally, dont push it, enjoy the car to "your" limit, and I think you will be fine. Sure, you can get a track Miata, beat the **** out of it, not break the bank, and I am sure you will have lots of fun. But one single lap, braking hard, exiting a turn and shooting for 8000 rpm on a flat six in the GT3 will that track car a afterthought....

My mantra: You only live once, and more importantly, your only young once. Enjoy it the way you want to.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:40 PM
boochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond repute
NOW YOU'VE PEAKED MY INTEREST IN THIS DISCUSSION....I was going the route of the 7GT3, but the only thing that deterred me was that I wanted my wife and 22 month old to travel with me sometimes on road trips, etc. I took a look at my friend's 2010 GT3 over the weekend and saw the anchor points for the belts back there also, so to be honest, it would be a perfect SNUG fit for a Toddler Seat or Booster Seat. BTW - I strongly recommend the Recaro ProSport which is what I have for my 22 month old since it has a 5 point harness.

GLW the Search!!!! Hope you get the GT3 and HOPE you figure out how to get the belt on.

Berk

Originally Posted by Cattman
OK, I may begin to look for a GT3.

I may be the first out there to retro-fit a rear shoulder belt in one, but that should be easily done as the anchor points are there. It's for my son's car seat, also likely a first in a GT3. If I go this route, I'll of course keep you updated with pics.

For now, my focus remains on figuring out what to do with my limping 997SC.
CATTMAN

Old 07-06-2011, 10:52 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
I wouldn't have any problem DD'ing a GT3. In fact, I'm considering trading my cab for a 2011. My current car (and my GT) is very, um edgy and I always enjoy it.
But I worry about putting a baby seat in one. My kids are grown (they drive my cars now!) but if they were baby-seat age, I'd wait. Rough, loud, questionable safety in the back of the car. Just my two cents....

Old 07-07-2011, 07:31 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NorthVan
I think you have said that more times then anything else. Must be the GT3 LCA.
nah, i`m not going to continue this rat racing. car is fine as it is now, more than enough for DE fun, it handles perfectly. and it is not just gt3 lcas, it is $15K dumped into full suspension rebuild, only stock parts left there are stock C2 uprights and stock brakes. of course if I get gt3 i can just move this suspension into it, but, well, i really just like stuff i already own more than something i do not. too much hassle. and 500hp gt3 rs is just too expensive, i would never have guts to take it to a track with risk to wreck it.

Last edited by utkinpol; 07-07-2011 at 07:34 AM.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:08 PM
Not4off is infamous around these parts
Mdrums...

I have an '09 Carrera S with GT3 LCAs and run 2.5 degrees neg camber in the front and 2.0 degrees negative in the rear. This setup seems to work well both on the street and on track, but have given some thought to running say 2.25 all around. What has your experience been?

...Richard

Old 07-09-2011, 09:59 AM
turbosonoma is infamous around these parts
My 996 GT3 get dd and seems to do just a fine job, the only things that get a little tiresome is
-lots more road noise
-folding your self into the recaro around the cage and steering wheel

Otherwise, It is a little stiff and all, but it sure does handle nice.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:21 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Not4off
Mdrums...

I have an '09 Carrera S with GT3 LCAs and run 2.5 degrees neg camber in the front and 2.0 degrees negative in the rear. This setup seems to work well both on the street and on track, but have given some thought to running say 2.25 all around. What has your experience been?

...Richard
I noticed ont he street with -2.7 front and -2.3 rear the car is twitchy, follows rain groves and so forth. With stock suspension (I have S PASM) and R-Comp tires that this much engitive camber is not needed. I am going back down to my old settings of -2.3 front and -1.9 rear

Old 07-09-2011, 02:52 PM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mdrums
I noticed ont he street with -2.7 front and -2.3 rear the car is twitchy, follows rain groves and so forth. With stock suspension (I have S PASM) and R-Comp tires that this much engitive camber is not needed. I am going back down to my old settings of -2.3 front and -1.9 rear
I found that -2.5 front and -2.0 rear works great. At highway speeds it can follow groves sometimes but nothing bad.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:26 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
Just wondering...
How do you achieve -2.3/-1.9 with stock suspension on an 'S'? Is it stock with added LCA's?
V

Originally Posted by mdrums

Old 08-29-2011, 09:52 PM
Not4off is infamous around these parts
More negative camber

I have a 2009 Carrera S. The only suspension mod is 996 GT3 LCAs (front only.) Negative camber is 2.44 in the front and 2.39 in the rear. Getting that amount of negative camber in the rear only requires adjustment of the stock suspension. I have run 4 track days with this setup and over 1000 street miles and am very happy with the handling and tire wear. (Bridgestone RE-11s and Michelin Sport Cups)

...Richard

Old 09-02-2011, 07:30 AM
Diablo79 is infamous around these parts
Similar situation...beware!!!!

Originally Posted by Cattman
I love(d) my '05 997S, you know that- shoot, I shared hundreds of posts here about that. With the SC it was wicked.

But after a few DE's that went south for one mechanical failure or another (non-SC related), I am fed up. I need/ want something I can rely on to drive daily AND take to the track. Something with a more adaptable suspension.

I have lost some faith in the Carrera/ Carrera S to be that car. As it has become an increasingly better daily drive I fear it may have lost some of it's track competence.

The GT3 is built for the track, and can run at redline for hours on end, but I am not sure it's livable as a DD.

Am I nuts here, or is there something to this?
CATTMAN
Cattman, I have an eye-opening story for you. Two weeks ago, during an advanced driving academy/scouting day for TRG racing at the BEAUTIFUL and COMPLEX Monticello "country club", my '05 C2S, which I have ALWAYS taken good care of, maintained, and drove HARD for only two years of ownership on many regional tracks, BLEW A MOTOR due to oil starvation!!! This was the most frustrating thing, and I am now left with an engine-less chassis!!!! I have spent two years setting up my car, getting to know it very well, and finally got to the level of driving where I outgrew the capabilities of the motor. Between the hoosier R6s, the BEAUTIFULLY calibrated track suspension, and all the other goodies, I have spent so much time, energy, and MONEY setting up this car only to learn the hard way the C2S motor, due to the oiling system, is NOT UP TO PAR with that level of driving...

PLEASE UPGRADE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE to avoid the same catastrophic engine failure I did....

this has been a public service message intended for the benefit of a fellow porsche-phile

Old 09-02-2011, 07:35 AM
Diablo79 is infamous around these parts
not the problem...

Originally Posted by buckwheat986
cattman,

i would go the GT3 route but let me ask...are any of your mods dedicated to improving the suspension. None in your lsit are familar to me in this area.

I did lower control arms and bilsteins and my car is vastly improved for the track.

A gt3 is a tough DD is you are going to worry and obsess about ever ding or chip or the rough ride in the city.

But if you can live with those things its a great car to own.
Buckwheat, notice in the original post he directed his frustration specifically to mechanical failures, none suspension-related

Old 09-02-2011, 10:20 AM
cibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the rough
^^I was just reading a back issue of GTPurely Porsche when they had a pre-launch story on the then new 997.1 series. There is a section on the motor where they said that the motor had been tested to 1.4g so there shouldn't be oil starvation issues on the track as, like written on that article, this was a level of roadholding like a competition car. I guess this is not the case if Diablo79's motor was ruined due to oil starvation. I thought this was resolved but it seems not to be the case.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:36 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
put x51 m96 oil pan on your m96/m97 - look at planet9 cayman forums for more details about accusump and other mods.
stock engine has to be slightly improved to remedy oiliong issues. from what i know x51 oil pan usually does the trick very well.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:57 AM
cibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the rough
^ For the 3.8L M97 motor for the 2006 onwards Carrera S there is no difference between the regular oil pan versus X51 oil pan; it is the same one for both cars but, again, at least for the 3.8L motor on the 2006 models onwards. If the one on the 2005 is different, then that allows me not to worry so much then. Is this the case, though?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Do I need to move to a GT3?