997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Do I need to move to a GT3?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 12:38 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cibergypsy
^ For the 3.8L M97 motor for the 2006 onwards Carrera S there is no difference between the regular oil pan versus X51 oil pan; it is the same one for both cars but, again, at least for the 3.8L motor on the 2006 models onwards. If the one on the 2005 is different, then that allows me not to worry so much then. Is this the case, though?
it is 996 x51 M96 oil pan.
997 x51 kit had nothing to do with oil pans. google up this stuff a bit - you`ll see what it is about.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:16 PM
cibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the rough
I have the X51 on my 997S so I don't need to google it to know what it is about. What I meant was that I didn't know if the oil pan for the 3.8L 2005 Carrera S is or isn't like the one on the 2006 onwards. If it isn't like the one on the 2006 onwards, then there is a difference between them and my car wouldn't suffer as Diablo79's did, who has a 2005 Carrera S, if his failure was due to oil pan design. It seems like the oil pan on the 2006 and onwards Carrera S is already as good as Porsche made it so that it needed not change for its Powerkit option on these cars. I wouldn't put a 996 X51 oil pan on my car unless there is evidence that its design is superior at preventing oil starvation on a car like mine, which already has a pan deemed by Porsche to be good enough for its 997 version of the X51.

Since you have a 3.6 Carrera, you may benefit from the 996 X51 oil pan as your motor has differences that don't allow retrofitting of the 997 X51 to it and, though I don't know the details, you stock pan may not be of the same design as the one on the 3.8.

Last edited by cibergypsy; 09-02-2011 at 01:31 PM.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:24 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
google: accusump, x51 oil pan, oil pan spacer.

there are ton of people out there racing and DEing M96/M97 powered cars, those engines all do have oiling issues, as there are several different aproaches on how to partially remedy them.
If you sure your engine design is as good as Porsche made it - keep running it as it is, it`s your choice just like as anything else. I do not think one can get a 'real evidence' for anything related to those issues, usually only evidence you get is a blown motor but it may happen due to various reasons. that is why i say - google it and make your own opinion.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:26 PM
dinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond repute
a friend just tanked the engine on his 05 S. He was at the track and was pushing serious G's ended up with oil starvation according to some experts. Get a dry sump engine and enjoy the track

Old 09-02-2011, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by dinorocz
a friend just tanked the engine on his 05 S. He was at the track and was pushing serious G's ended up with oil starvation according to some experts. Get a dry sump engine and enjoy the track
you must be aware of racing '996 spec' class, right? they run pretty serious G`s in M96 powered cars. As well as plenty other people who still own and track 996 cars out there. 997 cars are quite same in that regard, in fact quite a bit better.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:35 PM
dinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by utkinpol
you must be aware of racing '996 spec' class, right? they run pretty serious G`s in M96 powered cars. As well as plenty other people who still own and track 996 cars out there. 997 cars are quite same in that regard, in fact quite a bit better.
say what you want but there is a reason why a dry sump is installed in all "track oriented" Pcars

I had an S before my turbo and I loved that car, I was just shedding some light on the subject, no need to get defensive

Old 09-02-2011, 01:40 PM
nope, i agree with you that M96/M97 is not a mezger and will never be. that is why porsche now has 9a1 engine.
i just do not think it is fair to say that any m96/m97 that sees track is doomed by definition. Inevitable may be delayed and existance of whole racing class based on those cars is the proof of it - one just need to do a bit of research and invest some $ into this problem. as pretending that problem does not exist may/will likely end up with a blown motor.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:48 PM
cibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by utkinpol
If you sure your engine design is as good as Porsche made it - keep running it as it is, it`s your choice just like as anything else. I do not think one can get a 'real evidence' for anything related to those issues, usually only evidence you get is a blown motor but it may happen due to various reasons. that is why i say - google it and make your own opinion.
I understand your point; when writing on a forum, not everything is readily clear. By no means am I of the school of thought that just because Porsche says something, it is so. My oil pan may be good enough for its 997 Powerkit but I never meant it to be ideal for full track duty.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:46 PM
MileHigh911 is a jewel in the roughMileHigh911 is a jewel in the roughMileHigh911 is a jewel in the roughMileHigh911 is a jewel in the rough
GTS--with aero ....... can't go wrong

Old 09-03-2011, 08:56 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
It's impossible to base the reliability and daily driveability of a car on your experience with one model.

I'm a 15 year Porsche guy and bought a 996 Turbo a few years ago because they're the most reliable Porsche ever made, but mine turned out to be a lemon. If I didn't have so much Porsche experience I'd probably have walked away long ago. I bought a M-B G550 a couple of years ago and traded it in for a $10k hit because it spent a month plus of the first year I owned it in the shop for various issues, including a total failure/shutdown at 70 mph on a freeway with no shoulders or exits nearby.

Go with your gut and your passion is my advice. Personally, I got rid of the G550 for another STI, which is only the second car I've ever repeat-bought, other than a 911. And I'm incredibly happy with the Subaru again. Today I pulled my neighbor's Jeep out of the ditch after their 16 year old got it stuck there without any trouble, and this is a performance car.