997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Do I need to move to a GT3?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 09:28 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Do I need to move to a GT3?

I love(d) my '05 997S, you know that- shoot, I shared hundreds of posts here about that. With the SC it was wicked.

But after a few DE's that went south for one mechanical failure or another (non-SC related), I am fed up. I need/ want something I can rely on to drive daily AND take to the track. Something with a more adaptable suspension.

I have lost some faith in the Carrera/ Carrera S to be that car. As it has become an increasingly better daily drive I fear it may have lost some of it's track competence.

The GT3 is built for the track, and can run at redline for hours on end, but I am not sure it's livable as a DD.

Am I nuts here, or is there something to this?
CATTMAN

Old 07-04-2011, 10:25 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I wouldn't DD a Gt3 . It's just not practical . Drive a Gt3 to the supermarket ? Or better yet the movies or sports events ?

A big rainstorm on the streets might mean changing the tires .
I'm not saying taht it wouldn't be great to have one for special drives but just for every day use.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:37 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Do it Cattman! You have built your C2S to it's limits, and it will never be a GT3, I am hoping to make the move in the fall to one.

Old 07-05-2011, 06:56 AM
frankie997 is infamous around these parts
I went from a 09 C2S as my DD to a 11 GT3. I have never driven a finer automobile!
Point and it go, and bad ***!
However after 3800 miles I found myself looking to a more comfortable car for a DD. So I went back to my dealer and traded to a TTS Cab. Though faster, It does not handle anything like the GT3. The TTS or C2S will never be a GT3. That's a good thing. The GT3 is uniquely awesome. Two different animals.
Good luck with your decision.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:06 AM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
OK, I may begin to look for a GT3.

I may be the first out there to retro-fit a rear shoulder belt in one, but that should be easily done as the anchor points are there. It's for my son's car seat, also likely a first in a GT3. If I go this route, I'll of course keep you updated with pics.

For now, my focus remains on figuring out what to do with my limping 997SC.
CATTMAN

Old 07-05-2011, 07:44 AM
Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !
If you drive into the city frequently with a GT3 you will hate it. Have you had the chance to drive one? Even though you have an aftermarket clutch on your car I cannot imagine that it takes the same amount of pressure to engage. GT3 isn't a good daily driver, unless maybe you live in a rural area and don't go to the city.

You shouldn't loose faith in Carreras. Perhaps you can go for a 997.2 Carrera/S. I love mine as much as my GT3. But only take GT3 to the track.

You wouldn't be the first to retrofit a seatbelt in the back, but it reinforces that you could possibly be better off with a 997.2 Carrera. Your poor son will have headaches after every ride!

Old 07-05-2011, 08:34 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
A GT3 is a much better track car for sure but I would not go and say the Carrera S is not a reliable dual purpose street and track car. My Carrera S spends a lot of time at or near red line with zero issues. I left the engine totally stock except formthe Tubi mufflers. I added gt3 lower control,arms for suspension adjustment and the car is surprisingly fast and handles well on the street and track.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:39 AM
HATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of light
what's the status with with your engine replacement ?

depending on what PCNA does, why not consider keeping the car and upgrading the engine to the X51 kit (sans SC !! ) a few tweaks here and there and you're not far off the GT3 mark and won't take such a $$$ hit.....

Old 07-05-2011, 08:47 AM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mdrums
A GT3 is a much better track car for sure but I would not go and say the Carrera S is not a reliable dual purpose street and track car. My Carrera S spends a lot of time at or near red line with zero issues. I left the engine totally stock except formthe Tubi mufflers. I added gt3 lower control,arms for suspension adjustment and the car is surprisingly fast and handles well on the street and track.
Ditto,

I modded the suspension a bit and have the GT3 LCAs and it is a blast to DE. I have a drop-in filter, headers, mufflers, and a GIAC tune that was done prior to me and the car is rock solid on the street and track.

Maybe you can go in-between and get a Carrera GTS and put in the GT3 LCAs, adjust the camber and try that.

Good luck!

Old 07-05-2011, 08:50 AM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by HATTRICK
what's the status with with your engine replacement ?

depending on what PCNA does, why not consider keeping the car and upgrading the engine to the X51 kit (sans SC !! ) a few tweaks here and there and you're not far off the GT3 mark and won't take such a $$$ hit.....
Another option! He may be in a situation where he is making too much power for the current suspension setup.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:59 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
cattman,

i would go the GT3 route but let me ask...are any of your mods dedicated to improving the suspension. None in your lsit are familar to me in this area.

I did lower control arms and bilsteins and my car is vastly improved for the track.

A gt3 is a tough DD is you are going to worry and obsess about ever ding or chip or the rough ride in the city.

But if you can live with those things its a great car to own.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:23 AM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
Ever thought of a GTS with some reasonable mods (suspension, exhaust, etc)? Much better DD with a harder edge than C2S. Even though the back seat is optional, I haven't yet seen one equipped without it.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:45 AM
ScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really nice
I own a 997 GT3 and find no issues with it for DD use. I drive it to work, going out and to just get coffee in the morning - and I love it. Yes - it is a rougher ride and it is noisier, but I am into that. I will admit that I don't drive it every day, but I would not hesitate to do so if that was my only alternative. Mine will go to the track this fall at the next club event, so it serves both purposes for me.

Get the GT3.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:52 AM
Pb8
Pb8 is infamous around these parts
I'd vote for GT3. The front spoiler is low, stereo sucks, low front spoiler... so daily driver may be acceptable depending on your roads and incline of driveways, etc.

Personally, I do not DD gt3... Save that for when I'm in the mood...

Old 07-05-2011, 11:19 AM
Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mdrums

In my post I should of said I mostly take my GT3 to the track but I take all of mine to the track. I love my Carrera S with PDK It is a blast to drive and a very capable car.

Ok now putting that aside if I could only choose one I would go with Carrera S PDK, best of both worlds, so much fun!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Do I need to move to a GT3?