997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997 Stalls

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 10:32 AM
Alnoaimi is infamous around these parts
997 Stalls

Long story short..
I'm having a weird issue with the car, a 2006 C2S with 45k miles.
The problem started 5 months ago, i was cruising at normal speed, after stopping for a traffic light and taking off the car stalled. I turned it on again and it worked. Few minutes and it did it again. It did it every 5 minutes. At that time i took it to the dealer where they checked the fuel pump and replaced it. I stopped the car for 4 months as i was out of the country, Last night i took it out for a ride and it did it again; 45 minutes driving and then the problem came back, stalled for 5 times. i was shocked, the problem only comes when the car is hot and when i'm driving it normally. No issues when i drive it hard, no cell, no fault code. i took it today for the dealer again and they told me that the cable that goes from the alternator to the battery may need to be changed coz the voltage reading was 12.3v. i don't know gentlemen if i should go for it and change the cable not to mention the labor they'll charge me for changing it which is $714.
Any help? any thoughts?

Sry for the long thread

Old 07-08-2011, 01:29 PM
clif r is infamous around these parts
i had this with a boxster. they bench tested the ecu for 3 days. it has 250 maps in it and one was defective. i would be driving at 70mph and it would just die. they replaced the ecu, no more issues.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:03 PM
i had this with a boxster. they bench tested the ecu for 3 days. it has 250 maps in it and one was defective. i would be driving at 70mph and it would just die. they replaced the ecu, no more issues.
It doesn't stall when I'm driving, it only stalls on take off, they checked the ecu and they told me that it's fine, I'll try to double check on that

Old 07-09-2011, 09:53 AM
fgv1it has a spectacular aura aboutfgv1it has a spectacular aura about
I just had the alternator cable replaced on my '06 C2S. It is true that these cars can have a defective wire harness from the alternator to the starter, and that can cause the low-voltage reading that they reported to you, hard starting when hot, and rapid battery drain when the car sits for a few days. However, in my case it never caused the car to stall once it was running.I doubt that is the cause of your problem, although you may need to have the harness replaced anyway.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:23 PM
I just had the alternator cable replaced on my '06 C2S. It is true that these cars can have a defective wire harness from the alternator to the starter, and that can cause the low-voltage reading that they reported to you, hard starting when hot, and rapid battery drain when the car sits for a few days. However, in my case it never caused the car to stall once it was running.I doubt that is the cause of your problem, although you may need to have the harness replaced anyway.
I guess I'll have to replace the wire and them look for the problem, Is it really a big job to replace the wire? Does it need 10 hours of labor?

Old 07-11-2011, 01:19 PM
fgv1it has a spectacular aura aboutfgv1it has a spectacular aura about
Unfortunately, replacing the wire harness is a big job in terms of labor. To route it properly, all the ancillary equipment on top of the engine has to come off, and the engine itself needs to be lowered about an inch. So, yes, to replace a cable that costs less than $100, and that is connected with a couple of simple nuts at either end, you end up with a big bill.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:37 AM
Thanks for the info, Rep point to u

Old 07-12-2011, 08:59 AM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
I had an issue similar to what you are describing. I could charge the battery and go for a drive. If the drive was short, 10-15 minutes I never had a problem. On a longer driver, 30 minutes up the car would die. I could let it sit and it might start but not always. I finally figured it out and it was the alternator. It wasn't charging the battery. If you have a bad cable it would be the same end result.

Good luck with your repairs.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:17 AM
I had an issue similar to what you are describing. I could charge the battery and go for a drive. If the drive was short, 10-15 minutes I never had a problem. On a longer driver, 30 minutes up the car would die. I could let it sit and it might start but not always. I finally figured it out and it was the alternator. It wasn't charging the battery. If you have a bad cable it would be the same end result.

Good luck with your repairs.
I should get an answer by next week from the dealer, I'll let u know. Thank u so much sir

Old 08-13-2011, 09:57 AM
Just a follow up

I changed the alternator wire and I had the same problem, changed the fuel pump few days ago and the car back to normal couldn't be happier, thank u fellows for ur support

Old 08-13-2011, 10:25 AM
Vancouver-BC is a jewel in the roughVancouver-BC is a jewel in the roughVancouver-BC is a jewel in the rough
Thanks for the follow-up, glad to hear you got the problem resolved.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:22 PM
997BLIS is infamous around these parts
So the dealer replaced the fuel pump, then the alt wire, and then the fuel pump again???

Old 08-17-2011, 11:52 PM
Fuel pump been replaced twice, I don't know why hehehe I don't mind as long as it's running again