997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Street & Track Tire Advice Please!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 07:01 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
If you do not want to change wheels out in the street to r-comps then I would run either the new Michelin Super Sports or Bridgestone RE11. These are right at approaching r-comp grip but livable as a street tire.

Also when you go to a real r-comp tire you really need to change out brake pads to handle the extra braking grip. Running r-comp tires will destroy brake pads very fast.

So the way I see it is that I would not want to work on my car on a city street so I would just enjoy DE's for what they are, relax and drive the car on either Michelin Super Sports or the B'stone RE11.

Forget Toyo RA1's they are no longer being made in our sizes and Toyo R888 are worse than a droning exhaust on the street and you'll heat cycle them out quickly on the street and they will be no better than the tires I mentioned above. Also you now have more choices in 19" than 18" so forget 18" wheels too.

Last edited by mdrums; 07-09-2011 at 07:06 AM.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:27 AM
monojohn is just really nicemonojohn is just really nicemonojohn is just really nicemonojohn is just really nice
Originally Posted by mdrums
If you do not want to change wheels out in the street to r-comps then I would run either the new Michelin Super Sports or Bridgestone RE11. These are right at approaching r-comp grip but livable as a street tire.

Also when you go to a real r-comp tire you really need to change out brake pads to handle the extra braking grip. Running r-comp tires will destroy brake pads very fast.

So the way I see it is that I would not want to work on my car on a city street so I would just enjoy DE's for what they are, relax and drive the car on either Michelin Super Sports or the B'stone RE11.

Forget Toyo RA1's they are no longer being made in our sizes and Toyo R888 are worse than a droning exhaust on the street and you'll heat cycle them out quickly on the street and they will be no better than the tires I mentioned above. Also you now have more choices in 19" than 18" so forget 18" wheels too.

mdrums,
I recall that you've run RA1 and R888 on the track in the past. What are you running now?

Old 07-09-2011, 12:22 PM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute

You mean these babies??? I just got a set mounted on the 19 inch OZs to match my OZ track setup.

Originally Posted by monojohn
mdrums,

I recall that you've run RA1 and R888 on the track in the past. What are you running now?
If I recall he is using the R888s now since the RA1s are no longer available.

I use the Toyo R888s in 235/295 19 inch and 245/305 19 inch MPSCs. The R888s get a bad rap but after one event they lose the squirm and are much better.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:31 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Thx again for the responses guys.

MDrums -- you bring up a good point on upgrading pads down the line. Re changing wheels on the street, sure it's a pain, but in a neighborhood where being able to fix a neighbor's leaky makes you bob villa, I bet my love life would gain a few tens by wrenching my ride on the city street

I'm going to think it over, talk to Damon, and probably go with either the MSS or Re-11's. Though honestly, the Kooks are very tempting given Recalcitrant's feedback!

Old 07-10-2011, 02:53 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Do you know how the new Potenza S-04 Pole Positions compare to the RE11?

Old 07-10-2011, 03:29 PM
Recalcitrant is just really niceRecalcitrant is just really niceRecalcitrant is just really niceRecalcitrant is just really nice
Originally Posted by KonaKai
Thx again for the responses guys.

MDrums -- you bring up a good point on upgrading pads down the line. Re changing wheels on the street, sure it's a pain, but in a neighborhood where being able to fix a neighbor's leaky makes you bob villa, I bet my love life would gain a few tens by wrenching my ride on the city street

I'm going to think it over, talk to Damon, and probably go with either the MSS or Re-11's. Though honestly, the Kooks are very tempting given Recalcitrant's feedback!
Like I said, take it for what it's worth. You know about opinions and A$$h0l3$! I don't get to the track as much as some of the other guys here, so their opinion may be better for your application. But for a guy who is on the public roads 98% of the time the Kooks make sense. They are a bit squirmy at first, but I've noticed they keep getting better and better each day. The Kooks are just so cheap, it was hard for me not to try them. Discounttiredirect.com out the door for about $700. Good luck.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:25 AM
monojohn is just really nicemonojohn is just really nicemonojohn is just really nicemonojohn is just really nice
Originally Posted by Doc GTO
You mean these babies??? I just got a set mounted on the 19 inch OZs to match my OZ track setup.

If I recall he is using the R888s now since the RA1s are no longer available.

I use the Toyo R888s in 235/295 19 inch and 245/305 19 inch MPSCs. The R888s get a bad rap but after one event they lose the squirm and are much better.
I've been using the R888 on track too and have been very happy with them. I figure I have about one more event of rubber on my current set. Just wondering what to get next. I may just get 4 more. I wish there was something like the RA1 that wasn't as loud on the street as the R888.
Thanks.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:49 PM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
I've been using the R888 on track too and have been very happy with them. I figure I have about one more event of rubber on my current set. Just wondering what to get next. I may just get 4 more. I wish there was something like the RA1 that wasn't as loud on the street as the R888.
Thanks.
Not a lot of choices for DOT rubber out there. I use the MPSCs or Toyo R888s.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:57 PM
LarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to all
Thanks.
My NT1's are almost worn,My next set is going to be Hoosiers r6. By the way I use the v12's on the street and there great can't beat them for the price.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:25 PM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by keninirvine
Do you know how the new Potenza S-04 Pole Positions compare to the RE11?
The S-04 is a harder compound (280 vs 180) so they probably would last longer, they have a deeper tread so are probably better in the wet, but most likely would not have the softer compound dry grip of the RE-11 which would compromise its track performance. My guess is the S-04 is the better street tire and the RE11 the better track tire although both work well enough for the other application too.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:45 PM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
I wanted to get the most out of my De's so I decided on 2 sets of wheels. I originally went from Sumi HTR Z III (300) & came on the car) to PS'2 (220). I was limited with the PS2's at the track cornering but was really happy with how many overall DE's they lasted, great rain tire. I bought a set of MPSC's (100), however I found a set of Kumho's V710 (30) so I mounted them on my old stock rims and thought I'd give them a try this weekend and keep the PS'2 on F14's for DD, BTW I may sell the set 18" MPSC or replace the PS'2s when there gone as DD.

Last edited by 2muchtime; 07-11-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by 2muchtime
I wanted to get the most out of my De's so I decided on 2 sets of wheels. I originally went from Sumi HTR Z III (300) & came on the car) to PS'2 (220). I was limited with the PS2's at the track cornering but was really happy with how many overall DE's they lasted, great rain tire. I bought a set of MPSC's (100), however I found a set of Kumho's V710 (30) so I mounted them on my old stock rims and thought I'd give them a try this weekend and keep the PS'2 on F14's for DD, BTW I may sell the set 18" MPSC or replace the PS'2s when there gone as DD.
With the amount of rain we get here, especially lately with these monster downpours I wouldn't get caught with the Cups on . . . Could be tricky!

Old 07-11-2011, 03:16 PM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Doc GTO
With the amount of rain we get here, especially lately with these monster downpours I wouldn't get caught with the Cups on . . . Could be tricky!
agree.. that's why I plan having the other set (PS'2) as a back up rain set now if I can only find a tire trailer...

Old 07-17-2011, 02:11 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Update from OP:

Well guys, spoke to Damon at Tirerack last week to decide between the Michelin Super Sports and Re-11's. He was super-jazzed about the SS's both in terms of performance and longevity. With a $70 rebate and the Mich Promise, I bought a set. They went on the T4S yesterday.

Just got back from doing 300 miles -- combination of city, highway, and a couple hrs on my favorite twisties.

Guys, I'm beside myself on how good these tires are!! I haven't driven Yokos, Toyos, etc. so can't compare them to anything other than a new set of PZeros i had on previously, but wow the SS's are much plusher and way stickier. Without them even broken-in, I find myself totally re-evaluating what the car is capable of in terms of performance. In terms of comfort, I always thought that road noise and a harsh ride over bumps were the trade-off for great handling, but with the SS's I'd say the ride softness is 50% better than before.

To those of you who are using Pirelli's -- if your budget allows, I highly recommend swapping them out ASAP. You will thank me for it.