997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Is there an area in the firewall......

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 04:17 PM
JPSJR is infamous around these parts
Is there an area in the firewall......

To run a iPod wire? I had my Mobridge installed in the trunk, which I love, but I would like to have the line inside instead of the trunk but I don't want to move the Mobridge unit? Anyone? Beuller? Beuller.........

Old 07-09-2011, 05:26 PM
JPSJR is infamous around these parts
Why not in the trunk? It sits on top of the Nav Unit, bluetooth is working awesome, the Porsche Dealership in Delaware does there install there all the time and have had great success. The down fall I see right now is the I leave the iPod hooked up there all the time and work everything off the head unit, sometimes I like to charge my iPhone if I could. Btw you guys really rock! Thanks again for jumping in an recommending the Mobridge System.

Old 07-09-2011, 05:45 PM
sizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Cartronics
You can go through one of the rubber grommets, near the steering column. However, we do not recommend trunk installation for bluetooth reception (assuming you have the bluetooth unit with ipod function), and environmental conditions in the trunk too. It should be installed behind the PCM, passenger footwell kick panel area.
This is where my installer thought it should go as well. He wasn't too keen in putting it in the CDC area... don't exactly remember why.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:02 AM
rye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the rough
To answer the original question, there are two places where you'll need to go through the firewall. It's actually quite simple, but you'll need do do a few things to get to the rubber grommets that you'll use to pass through.

First, remove all of the plastic pieces in the frunk:
1. There are two velcro strips of plastic trim that run along the sides of the frunk. Pull those off (no fasteners)
2. There are a number of screws close to where the plastic cover over your mobridge butts up against the rubber weatherstripping. Remove all of the screws and the plastic will start to come free. You'll have to work it out from underneath the weatherstripping, but that's straightforward.
3. Disconnect the connector on the drive side of the frunk that powers the light.
4. Plastic should now come free.
5. Remove the plastic that covers the battery area as well. Not just the center piece, but also the side pieces. No fasteners if I recall correctly.

Now you can access what you need:
1. To get through the first firewall at the front of the car, you'll remove the plastic bracket on top of the charcoal filter box (passenger side). It's just two bolts. You'll have to use a little force to work it free as it sort of "clips" into place. You'll see what I mean... it's strong plastic so you won't break it. DON"T remove the charcoal filter box - you can move it forward and inch or so if you need to, but you won't have to move it more than that.
2. Now you should see the rubber grommet where the bracket was. Just cut a slot in that for the wire to fit through and work the grommet back into its spot.
3. Remove the battery - disconnect the negative cable first and tuck it away, then the positive. There's just one bolt that clamps the battery down.
4. Now you'll see a grommet on the driver's side, where the battery was. That grommet leads into the footwell area, up above where the brake assembly comes through the firewall. There's some material with a stick backing covering the grommet on the inside of the footwell - just pull that away for now and you can stick it back up / cut a notch in it when you put everything back together.

That's about it. Take your time, but it's very easy, and you'll never know the wires are there when you're done. I just installed a stereo/amp/speakers in my car, and am planning to writeup a full report when I can get to it. That's where the attached pictures came from. You can see my preamp and speaker wire cables coming through both grommets.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have questions. I think I've heard of people mounting the Mobridge up there - if it works, go with it. The only potential issue is that there can be a lot of interference in the dashboard, as the main power cable running back to the starter motor runs right through the middle. Hopefully your cable won't pickup and of that RF noise but it's possible.

Attached Images   
Old 10-07-2011, 09:29 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
I have mobridge inthe trunk. by blackberry gets connection only if I put it into glove compartment or into box under PCM which works fine for me. when I keep it on my belt or in the pocket it usually cannot connect. a phone i had before had no issues connecting to mobridge from any spot in the car.

i wonder if anybody here knows if you can move bluetooth antenna out of mobridge unit and move it closer into the car? i do not want to remount whole unit and do not want to experiment with it much. trunk location is perfect in any other way, it was done in 2009 and works fine since.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:01 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
where exactly is this chip located? does it matter how mobridge unit it rotated? will it make anything better if i cut a hole for it? or is that lid above it made from plastic and does not prevent signal to get in?

Old 10-07-2011, 10:12 AM
where exactly this sticker should have been? related to memory card slot?
i do not have any stickers on my unit.