997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Winshield replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 04:02 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
brahimza is infamous around these parts
Winshield replacement

Hi,
I was taking a joy ride this afternoon on the highway and a piece of a metal hook flew into my windshield. At first I thought someone shot at me or something, that is how the noise was. I am looking at my options on how to get the repair done,

1) File a claim with my insurance company
2) Do the repair and pay out of pocket...

My concern with the first option is carfax. I am worried my car might get flagged a car with accident. No Damage was done to the body, and my car has been way too pampered to this point, so I hate to file a claim with insurance and end up getting a carfax report.... Anyone had any issues like mine?

IF it helps, my insurance company is Geico.

Bobby

Old 07-10-2011, 04:47 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
How old is tHe car and how long do you plan on keeping it?

Also, do you have a deductible?

Old 07-10-2011, 05:11 PM
speedphreek is a jewel in the roughspeedphreek is a jewel in the roughspeedphreek is a jewel in the rough
I had a similar situation on my s2k and I have geico. I reported it as a glass only claim, in fl there is no deductible for a windshield that is damaged. It was replaced and I didn't see anything regarding that incident on carfax when I traded the car. I may be wrong but I think glass only might be considered differently from a collision

Old 07-10-2011, 06:44 PM
VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !
I just had the same thing happen recently. Called State Farm and I have $1K deductible...I hate using insurance because every time you do, your rates go up!...nonetheless I thought I'd check.They gave me two numbers to call to get it replaced. One quoted me $645 with my State Farm reference and the other quoted me almost $1800. Think they wanted insurance cash. I haven't done anything yet.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:49 PM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
Whatever you do, make sure to inspect how 'deep' the new windshield is installed. I recently had to have my windshield replaced and the installer got the bottom section installed correctly (glass set below the a-pillar level), but used too much glue/sealant on the upper section, so the glass is sitting above the a-pillar/roofline. What this causes is a nearly 1-inch deep gap between the glass and internal headliner, resulting in a LOT of wind noise.

Needless to say, the installer is going to have another 'opportunity' to get this right this week.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:52 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I had a rock hit my widshield in my 993 back in 1995 or so and it was not a big issue at all with the insurance . I don't even remember if I had to pay the deductible because if i recall correctly a windshield damage is separated within the policy . Either way its a no fault issue . Even a full break is "comprehensive physical damage" and that's not the same thing as an "accident" (carfax).

The biggest issue I felt was the smell of glue in the car's cabin for about a month after it was fixed . That's what i recall the most and it was very unpleasant .

Last edited by yrralis1; 07-10-2011 at 09:55 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:44 AM
KK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud of
I'm on my second windshield (after a large rock chip) which was replaced by a mobile-glass repair last December.

I recently discovered this was a bad idea as temperatures warmed up, a trip to the car wash and jetting the outside revealed a solid spray inside! After removing A-pillar trim pieces I found a small but significant separation of the "glue".

Apparently this is a common problem from winter installs? Mine is getting replaced this week too.

My original price was $1300. Fortunately I had a $500 deductible and "glass" is under comprehensive.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:44 AM
Former Vendor
RubinInsurance is infamous around these parts
There are a few different ways "glass" coverage can be written. Either way it would not end up on the carfax as glass claims are not collision.

Full glass is an option that would provide coverage with no deductible.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:54 AM
Ttuned is infamous around these parts
When I looked into it state farm wouldn't cover oem stamped glass. You get unlabeled glass that's just as good, but not from the dealer. Problem is if u trade in car, places like Carmax knock u for it.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:01 AM
Former Vendor
RubinInsurance is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Ttuned
When I looked into it state farm wouldn't cover oem stamped glass. You get unlabeled glass that's just as good, but not from the dealer. Problem is if u trade in car, places like Carmax knock u for it.
Your experience is because your policy probably had "like kind and quality" language in lieu of the preferred OE coverage. Need to becareful what coverage you purchase. Need to review the language and make sure you are getting OE coverge. Not all insurance companies provide this. Sometimes you find out after it's too late. This does not apply to just glass. "Like kind and quality" applies to collision damage as well.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:11 AM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
After having the windshield on my 997.1 replaced the week after Memorial Day (the hotel payed the $1,800) I noticed appreciable wind noise at about 50 mph. I called the dealer and arranged for them to correct the install.

In the intervening week, some tool took a shot at my car with a BB while I was driving on the highway. So, I called State Farm. They gave me a bit if a hassle but I finally got them to 1) approve using an OEM windshield, 2) having the dealer do the install (they stated that the dealer was not in their "network") and 3) paying the dealer directly (State Farm wanted me to lay out the cash and then they would pay me back; ummmmm no!).

Finally got it all resolved and no more wind noise!

Old 07-11-2011, 05:07 PM
TomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the rough
No matter what you do with the insurance, watch the installer like a hawk. Every step. Make sure they don't hack into your paint inside the pillars when cutting put the old glass (VERY common). Check to be certain they clean the pillars properly. Be certain they wear gloves and clean the edges of the new glass with solvent immediately before installing it. Ask about the catalyst in the sealant as well.
The windshield is part of the load-bearing structure in a crash. If it's even slightly off, it's way more dangerous than you'd imagine.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:16 PM
VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !
Man, you guys are making me nervous now! My entire front dash is leather as well, all the way up to the glass....

Old 07-11-2011, 06:25 PM
jakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Ttuned

"SCREW CARFAX'