997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

New Clutch...OEM or Aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 08:15 AM
kouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant future
I would stick with the OEM even if I tracked the car.

Usually you would want an aftermarket clutch to increase your torque holding capacity.

If you are riding the clutch too much, slipping it too much, etc etc then probably the aftermarket will wear as fast as the oem one, if not aster because of the increased pressure plate strength and the different material. Plus almost no aftermarket clutch has the drivability of an oem one...

Track wise, launches kill the clutch more than anything... Unless you own a 997tt or similar I wouldnt even bother with aftermarket...

Maybe a gt3 unit if it fits...

Old 01-13-2012, 04:45 PM
GT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant future
For those that have done OEm clutches, whats the cost?

Old 01-13-2012, 06:15 PM
MLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by GT650-25
For those that have done OEm clutches, whats the cost?
I had mine done in October by an indy. The total job was $3500 but that included a new slave cylinder, clutch disk, pressure plate, release bearing, oil change and spark plug change. FWIW my clutch failed at 33K miles due to a defective part, not abuse. Once that happened it smoked the flywheel immediately. I went with a new OE clutch in hopes they've corrected a quality problem. I'm starting to see more and more failed clutches due to a fatigue fracture on the pressure plate.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:37 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
I just replaced mine, with new oem clutch and new oem flywheel.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:37 AM
BLKonBLK911C4S is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by utkinpol
I just replaced mine, with new oem clutch and new oem flywheel.
I believe mine was $1700 without a new flywheel. A new fly wheel would have added about $1K. I used a local indy who does great work. Dealership surprisingly was not that much more.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:40 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BLKonBLK911C4S
I believe mine was $1700 without a new flywheel. A new fly wheel would have added about $1K. I used a local indy who does great work. Dealership surprisingly was not that much more.
Correct. Also when you replace clutch (and optionally flywheel) - it is worth also to replace RMS and replace AOS - either with same stock or with motorsports version.

At same time you can install LSD or TBD if car is mostly used for street or ax.
If car is 2005 or earlier - another 'obligatory' job is to replace ims.

You get the idea - when tranny goes down you replace all you can access, aos is the most important item as it is recommended to swap it every 30k miles or so, and it is usually recommended to put in motorsports version.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:32 PM
MLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by utkinpol
Correct. Also when you replace clutch (and optionally flywheel) - it is worth also to replace RMS and replace AOS - either with same stock or with motorsports version.

At same time you can install LSD or TBD if car is mostly used for street or ax.
If car is 2005 or earlier - another 'obligatory' job is to replace ims.

You get the idea - when tranny goes down you replace all you can access, aos is the most important item as it is recommended to swap it every 30k miles or so, and it is usually recommended to put in motorsports version.
My car is an '05 but was a later build and has the newer style ims bearing. Otherwise I would have had that done as well. I did have the rms changed which was only about $20 while they already had the transmission out.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:59 PM
MYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really nice
Originally Posted by BLKonBLK911C4S
I have an 07 C4S with only 25k miles. My clutch is shot. I am not sure if I need a new flywheel yet , but since I do not track the car I am wondering if I should go aftermarket. I think 25k seems like low mileage for a clutch to go. Any suggestions?
Yep very much!Some one has thrashed it!

Old 01-16-2012, 10:04 AM
Tito_gsx is infamous around these parts
Does Porsche recommend to replace AOS at a specific maintenance interval?

Old 01-16-2012, 07:35 PM
MagnusB is infamous around these parts
I do not ride my clutch and I had the pressure plate crack! after 30k.
The quality might not be what it used to be.