997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Taken delivery of a 2011 GTS...quirks!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 03:46 PM
gasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by PKing Fast
The Porsche Alarm. Any way to add a distinguishable beep or something? Do I really have to look in the window/at the window/pull the door lever to check?
You could also just watch the emergency lights flash. A double flash means the doors were locked. And if you walk away and hear the horn beep, it means one of your doors wasn't closed.

I kind of agree though, it would be nice to have an audible signal to confirm locking.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:14 PM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
When I lock and unlock the car my turn signals flash to let me know. Does this not happen on the +09?

PDK, use the paddles, the rest of the issues, suck it up! You are in a Carrera GTS!

Old 07-12-2011, 05:16 PM
Ptarded is a jewel in the roughPtarded is a jewel in the roughPtarded is a jewel in the rough
Congrats. Dont even think about quirks like that when driving. The driving experience alone should create a lasting euphoric experience that greatly outweighs any quirks you might find. If it doesnt you may be in the wrong car. That or you dont have a soul.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:28 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Doc GTO
When I lock and unlock the car my turn signals flash to let me know. Does this not happen on the +09?
Also, even if you don't have a beep or notice the flashing lights, you can't lose if you just "lock" it again. If it was locked already, the second signal would unlock it, but it will automatically re-lock if the doors aren't opened within a short time frame. I like the SmarTop module for the beep feature, and it won't void the warranty as you can disable it to make it invisible whenever service work is performed.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:06 PM
lig
lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !
Amusing thread. You guys are being pretty hard on the OP though. It's not as if he said he was ready to trade the car in.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:28 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
I hope the Porsche Internet Crawler finds these threads and sends them to the Fatherland for thorough engineering Untersuch!!

Old 07-12-2011, 06:36 PM
jakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the rough

PDK shift lever. I am very used to SMG and still have a tendency to accidentally downshift in the Porsche. It only makes sense to reverse the buttons - on acceleration, you get pushed back, so it's more natural to pull the lever back. On braking, you lurch forward, etc. Any way to remap the buttons?ng about getting the aerokit wing (is this same as GT3 wing?) I've seen AeroKit Cup as a factory option for about $3500, while Suncoast sells the kit for about $3900. Anyone can point me to where I can find it with Porsche/other sellers?
I swear it seems correct the way the shifter is set up....Very intuitive set up...
I'd have to have it reversed if it was the way you suggest...

Old 07-12-2011, 07:03 PM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
First of all, congrats on the GTS. It's a fantastic car and I enjoy every mile I'm in mine.

As for the other 'quirks' about the car, those are just how Porsche decided this car should be built, and I'm pretty sure each of those items has had engineers working numerous hours to create the best possible design for that given function.

Alarm? Yes, a reminder beep of the locking mechanism would be nice, especially if it was programmable to let the driver choose a preference. But to start counting the time spent to check over the course of a year might be a little too ****.

PDK Shifting? It sounds like you need to remember that this is a Porsche and not the BMW, simple as that. While your comment about downshifting/pushing paddle forward makes some sense, there are probably many more drivers that would complain if it were designed that way.

Spoiler Button? Who cares...just let the thing do it's magic without manual interruption. The only time I ever mess with the spoiler is when I pull into the garage on a hot day and pop the spoiler up to provide a little additional ventilation.

Brake Dust? It happens...and it happens a LOT on any car with high-performance in it's design. Just a part of life. Look at it this way: it gives you extra motivation to keep it clean.

Filling the Gas Tank? I've never had this problem. But doesn't seem like anything worth thinking twice about.

Honestly, reading through your comments, I DO see the logic behind them, but also think each of those items aren't spending any time losing a moment of thought over, and I can be a high-maintenance type of jacka$$ when it comes to my Porsche.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:22 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !

The PDK shift up/down orientation is probably the biggest annoyance to me. All the cars will race boxes function with the proper pattern - pull to upshift, push to downshift.

I saw rode shotgun in an aerokit GTS at the World Roadshow. Didn't feel any faster
#1...use the steering wheel paddles to shift manually...just like a race car pull the right paddle to upshuft pull the left paddle to down shift...that ought to make you feel better.

#2 why would you think the Aero kit would make the car faster?

Old 07-12-2011, 09:39 PM
LPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to behold
GTS w/ pdk

The earliest double clutch: the BorgWarner DCT for the Volkswagen Group DQ250six-speed dual clutch transmission w/ dual concentric wet multi-plate clutches. The 2003 VW r32 used this setup and the pattern was established. Audi followed w/ their TT. BMW reversed the pattern to match their really bad Steptronic auto patterns.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:46 PM
Dr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of light
With regard to manual operation of the spoiler, the term RTFM applies. (read the full manual)
If you are going fast enough, you don't have to press and hold the button.
And there is no reason to ever be driving between 0 and 20 MPH.

Retracting a manually extended rear spoiler at speeds between 0 and 20 mph:

Press and hold button until the rear spoiler has
reached its final position.
The light-emitting diode in the button goes out.
The rear spoiler changes to automatic mode.

at speeds between 20 and 60 mph:

Press button briefly.
The rear spoiler retracts, the light-emitting
diode in the button goes out.

at speeds over 60 mph:

Press button briefly.
The rear spoiler remains extended, the light emitting
diode in the button goes out.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:07 PM
Bill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud of
I love how everyone says "live with it" on the brake dust...answer is simple: change to kevlar/ceramic pads. Easy to do (I did all 4 wheels on my GT3 in ~an hour). Many brands out there; I used Carbotech Bobcat and I would estimate dust is reduced by ~75-80%. Hope this helps.

Bill

Old 07-13-2011, 05:35 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Cool kevlar/ceramic pads = less brake dust

Well something is going to wear out= brake dust. It's either going to be the the pads or the rotors I predict :-). And if these suckers run very hot they might also warp the rotors = $$$$

Old 07-13-2011, 07:56 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
T
I've got the wheel with buttons
How can you have the wheel with the buttons...(push pull buttons) when you said you have a GTS????

The GTS comes with paddles....right side pull upsifts...left side pull downshifts.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:46 PM
Dr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by mdrums
How can you have the wheel with the buttons...(push pull buttons) when you said you have a GTS????

The GTS comes with paddles....right side pull upsifts...left side pull downshifts.
Unless it's the multi-function steering wheel - those have the goofy buttons.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Taken delivery of a 2011 GTS...quirks!