997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

RS4 to 997.2 C4S Cab

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 04:25 AM
Lancia has a spectacular aura aboutLancia has a spectacular aura about
I sound like you, change cars every 3 years. I had my RS4 07 for 3 years and enjoyed every moment, thought what am I going to get to not miss this car. Got a Carrera S manual 2010 model and have thought about the RS4 maybe twice since owning it. Chalk and cheese, love my 911 and dont miss the Rs4...........at all. It had the DMS chip and Stasis Ohlins Motorsport suspension as well so was well setup but the 911 for the driver is just FUN!!!!!!

RS4 molar on here also did the change after my recommendation and hasnt looked back either.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:59 AM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Gasguzlr
I've considered an M3, but the power delivery is different from what I'm used to, although they are an amazing machine. The RS4 feels more torquey to me and has a more savage power delivery, which I love, and really handles well for what it is, with the engine hanging way out in front of the front axle. The 997 is almost the complete opposite, with the engine hanging out the rear. Both cars have dealt amazingly well with their diametrically opposed weight and balance distribution, and because they are somewhat more challenging to master, feel more rewarding when you begin to understand how to take advantage of their strengths. I think that's why I'm so drawn to the 911 as well.
We also considered the M3 vert, and I think it's a great car, especially relative to its cost, but it definitely lacks low to mid rev torque, and that's especially noticeable with a manual transmission. While its handling is good, the M3 has a more sedan-like feel than the 911, and it's quite heavy with the retractable hardtop. Of course, the 911 is no match for the torque of my C63 either (peak 443 ft-lb, with more than 360 ft-lb from 2000 to 6200 rpm) ...

I look at the 911 as being a more classic sports car, almost retro, and part of my motivation for getting one was indeed to learn to be a better driver. The limit of the car is very high, but it seems that you really have to know what you're doing to reach that limit and control the car at the limit. This is also why I got the manual transmission rather than PDK; while the PDK is faster, manual is more engaging and really makes you think. I use the manual mode a lot in my C63, but flipping paddles isn't quite the same.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:07 AM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PKing Fast
Any 4wd car is gonna have share some handling characteristics, such as a tendency to understeer, but a rear engine car driven by the rear wheels isn't going to be like anything else. I drove the 4s on the track at the World Roadshow and it didn't feel nearly as involving as the 2s. Could have been the tires, traffic, whatever, but I quickly came to the conclusion that there is no reason to buy a 4wd 911 unless you need it for the weather or to put some turbo power to the ground.

On another note, can anybody here who has driven a 4S PDK comment on the handling in 2wd mode?
I sort of feel the same way, and wondered if I was the only one. AWD cars certainly have a cornering benefit (if designed properly), but there's a "too easy" quality to it which doesn't fit what I look for in a sports car. I like knowing which wheels have power and which one's don't, rather than having the car make those decisions and trying to guess what it's deciding. Same reason for preferring manual transmission in a sports car.

Of course, these are all reasons NOT to get a Nissan GT-R, which appears to generate impressive track numbers via the help of a smart and highly involved computer co-pilot.

Last edited by Manifold; 07-13-2011 at 06:30 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:17 AM
Ptarded is a jewel in the roughPtarded is a jewel in the roughPtarded is a jewel in the rough
Man what a TERRIBLE PROBLEM to have! Haven't driven the rs4 so can't chime in on the. However, we do have a 997.2 C4S and that car is sooooo amazing to drive. Driven a few Audis and always wanted to like them more than we actually did. No offense to owners. Never feel like the c4s is lacking in involvement or fun when driving it. The car just squats down and gives you all it's power. PDK is a crafted artifact of the ancient gods. The thing slams shifts with lightning ferocity when pushed. Have driven in 2 wheel drive mode on a couple occasions and if you do enjoy power sliding and steering round corners with some flair it'll definitely do that. So it truly is a great car. The car really does have 2 personalities and we use ours as a DD. I don't think you can go wrong with either. The 911 does bring legendary performance that has be refined for almost 50 years. I think it is one of those cars that every driver must own at some point in their life along with a few others. Don't know how it is in Canada but around here you have 72 hours to return the car no questions ask if you truly feel like you've made a mistake. Good luck with your "problem"!

Last edited by Ptarded; 07-13-2011 at 06:18 AM. Reason: Spelling and grammar
Old 07-13-2011, 07:58 AM
Gasguzlr is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Lancia
I sound like you, change cars every 3 years. I had my RS4 07 for 3 years and enjoyed every moment, thought what am I going to get to not miss this car. Got a Carrera S manual 2010 model and have thought about the RS4 maybe twice since owning it. Chalk and cheese, love my 911 and dont miss the Rs4...........at all. It had the DMS chip and Stasis Ohlins Motorsport suspension as well so was well setup but the 911 for the driver is just FUN!!!!!!

RS4 molar on here also did the change after my recommendation and hasnt looked back either.
Thank you for replying. That you don't miss the RS4 at all is very telling to me. I know the handling is quite different, although your RS4 would have been superb with the Ohlins, it's great for me to hear that you didn't miss the power delivery either.

I'm looking for a manual as well... I know the PDK is quicker and more efficient on the track, but I really find a manual to be more involving, interactive and fun for real world driving. And the setup in the 911 is very nice. It is a fun car to shift.

Thanks again for your reply, hopefully RS4 molar will reply as well. These comments are like gold to me right now as I try to make up my mind.

Cheers

Ross

Old 07-13-2011, 08:00 AM
Any 4wd car is gonna have share some handling characteristics, such as a tendency to understeer, but a rear engine car driven by the rear wheels isn't going to be like anything else. I drove the 4s on the track at the World Roadshow and it didn't feel nearly as involving as the 2s. Could have been the tires, traffic, whatever, but I quickly came to the conclusion that there is no reason to buy a 4wd 911 unless you need it for the weather or to put some turbo power to the ground.

On another note, can anybody here who has driven a 4S PDK comment on the handling in 2wd mode?
Thanks for your reply. Yes, weather is a big deal up here in Alberta. I definitely will not drive it in the winter, but there are very long spring and fall seasons which can be unpredictable, and awd lengthens those seasons for me.

I didn't know you could utilize a 2wd mode in PDK cars!

Cheers

Ross

Old 07-13-2011, 08:04 AM
Originally Posted by IAA-C63
We also considered the M3 vert, and I think it's a great car, especially relative to its cost, but it definitely lacks low to mid rev torque, and that's especially noticeable with a manual transmission. While its handling is good, the M3 has a more sedan-like feel than the 911, and it's quite heavy with the retractable hardtop. Of course, the 911 is no match for the torque of my C63 either (peak 443 ft-lb, with more than 360 ft-lb from 2000 to 6200 rpm) ...

I look at the 911 as being a more classic sports car, almost retro, and part of my motivation for getting one was indeed to learn to be a better driver. The limit of the car is very high, but it seems that you really have to know what you're doing to reach that limit and control the car at the limit. This is also why I got the manual transmission rather than PDK; while the PDK is faster, manual is more engaging and really makes you think. I use the manual mode a lot in my C63, but flipping paddles isn't quite the same.
Agree with all your points, thanks. I also feel the 911 is much more of a driver's car, and I love the manual. The C63 must be a real beast do drive with all that torque, and I can see why you keep it around... there's much more of a difference between those two when it comes to power delivery, but it sounds like you enjoy the 911 for other reasons. That's great input for me to hear, thank you.

Cheers

Ross

Old 07-13-2011, 10:08 AM
Originally Posted by Ptarded
Man what a TERRIBLE PROBLEM to have! Haven't driven the rs4 so can't chime in on the. However, we do have a 997.2 C4S and that car is sooooo amazing to drive. Driven a few Audis and always wanted to like them more than we actually did. No offense to owners. Never feel like the c4s is lacking in involvement or fun when driving it. The car just squats down and gives you all it's power. PDK is a crafted artifact of the ancient gods. The thing slams shifts with lightning ferocity when pushed. Have driven in 2 wheel drive mode on a couple occasions and if you do enjoy power sliding and steering round corners with some flair it'll definitely do that. So it truly is a great car. The car really does have 2 personalities and we use ours as a DD. I don't think you can go wrong with either. The 911 does bring legendary performance that has be refined for almost 50 years. I think it is one of those cars that every driver must own at some point in their life along with a few others. Don't know how it is in Canada but around here you have 72 hours to return the car no questions ask if you truly feel like you've made a mistake. Good luck with your "problem"!
Indeed, we are all fortunate to be having this discussion. I love hearing how much you enjoy your C4S, and that tends to push me further in that direction.

Cheers

Ross

Old 07-13-2011, 11:00 AM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
I have not driven a RS4 but I can say that the reviews do not show anything better then a low 4 second 0-60. I recently got 3.8 seconds to 60 and 9.2 seconds to 100 in my 997.2 using the VBOX for results. I do have some advantages over the c4s cab; like coupe, 2wd, pdk, some mods. But per the mods I have listed below in my sig you can be running 440hp instead of the 385hp for around 5k total in costs. Having recently driven a stock 997.2pdk I can say that my car feels night and day difference in power in all rpm ranges. Thus you will not miss the power of your RS4 anymore, I figure.
As Larry said you can find a 997 TT cab for around 100 to 110k usd.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:15 AM
Originally Posted by zzzspeed
I have not driven a RS4 but I can say that the reviews do not show anything better then a low 4 second 0-60. I recently got 3.8 seconds to 60 and 9.2 seconds to 100 in my 997.2 using the VBOX for results. I do have some advantages over the c4s cab; like coupe, 2wd, pdk, some mods. But per the mods I have listed below in my sig you can be running 440hp instead of the 385hp for around 5k total in costs. Having recently driven a stock 997.2pdk I can say that my car feels night and day difference in power in all rpm ranges. Thus you will not miss the power of your RS4 anymore, I figure.
As Larry said you can find a 997 TT cab for around 100 to 110k usd.
Ah, this is excellent info, thank you. Very impressive machine you're running there, too. Thank you so much for you reply, I'm taking all this in and leaning strongly towards the 997.

Cheer

Ross

Old 07-13-2011, 11:25 AM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
btw, have u considered the GT-R ?

Old 07-14-2011, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by crazycarlitos
btw, have u considered the GT-R ?
While I find the GT-R a really amazing piece of machinery, at this time I am really stuck on keeping a manual tranny. If they offered the GT-R in a 6-speed I would give it more consideration... otherwise, it's off the table for me.

Ross

Old 07-14-2011, 11:28 PM
Good call, you don't have to worry about 'I kinda wish I got a manual' crossing your mind. It crosses mine every other time I get into the GTS, still love it though.

Yeah there's a "trick" that involves pulling the hand-brake up 1 notch to disengage the front drive, but only in PDK 4wd cars.

Are you only considering 4wd?
Yeah, pretty much. For two reasons... I live up in Alberta, Canada, and the summers are short enough. AWD really extends the driving season. Second, I love the fat rear end of the 4's... I know there's the GTS, but after much consideration I decided to stick with AWD. In addition, the only GTS locally is PDK. My criteria is manual, ragtop, S-series, AWD.

Very cool trick with the PDK though... thanks for sharing that. I am a die-hard manual driver, though I find the idea of a super-fast dual clutch shifting mechanism pretty fascinating. At this point in time, however, I'm just not willing to give up that stick and third pedal. It is such a big part of driving pleasure for me.

Thanks for the reply.

Ross

Old 07-14-2011, 11:36 PM
Lancia has a spectacular aura aboutLancia has a spectacular aura about
Sounds like youve made up your mind. trust me you WILL NOT MISS THE RS4.

Just get the factory Short Shift Kit as well. ENJOY!

Old 07-14-2011, 11:46 PM
Originally Posted by Lancia
Sounds like youve made up your mind. trust me you WILL NOT MISS THE RS4.

Just get the factory Short Shift Kit as well. ENJOY!
Thank you, your comments are especially appreciated as a former RS4 owner. And you're right... I pretty much have made up my mind. There's a good chance I could be heading into the weekend with a new car in the garage. This forum has been a great help... I really appreciate each and every person who has commented, and still look forward to more input until I make my decision and then I'll get some pics posted.

My wife's Spyder has the short shifter and the Sport Exhaust... love it, love it.

Cheers

Ross

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: RS4 to 997.2 C4S Cab