997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

RS4 to 997.2 C4S Cab

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 11:49 PM
Lancia has a spectacular aura aboutLancia has a spectacular aura about
Im in BRisbane Australia so dont get to see that white cold stuff you refer to but would agree 4wd would be the way to go but I am enjoying the lower weight and less friction the 4wd system adds.

I have launched the C2S in the wet a few times and with the weight over the back wheels have found no traction issues and would seriously be on par with the RS4 in wet grip off the line.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:09 AM
Gasguzlr is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Lancia
Im in BRisbane Australia so dont get to see that white cold stuff you refer to but would agree 4wd would be the way to go but I am enjoying the lower weight and less friction the 4wd system adds.

I have launched the C2S in the wet a few times and with the weight over the back wheels have found no traction issues and would seriously be on par with the RS4 in wet grip off the line.
I appreciate your comments. I've heard this before, with all the weight over the back axle, the grip should be phenomenal. I certainly have given this consideration. I guess I'm just really used to awd after several audi's, and all too aware of the way weather can change. This year we had our last snowfall in early June, and we usually get our first in Sept, or sometimes Oct. Usually this snow melts but by early Nov it is here for good and the roads are not clear until May. Having awd allows me to handle these conditions with no worries, as often a daytime shower can become sheets of ice by the time I'm off work. Most of my life I lived with 2WD... once you have AWD up here, you never want to go back. My motorcycle season is pathetically short!!

Cheers

Ross

Old 07-15-2011, 07:14 AM
D-squared is infamous around these partsD-squared is infamous around these parts
To the polite fellow who called my thoughts on the 4S "rubbish":

A. opinions are like ****oles -- have one, don't be one.

B. I'm not alone.

Car and Driver: The 3.8-liter C4S, in particular, now has so much torque at low revs that it pulls away like a Detroit V-8.

Car and Driver: Although the new four-wheel-drive system does not take away any of the 911’s agility, its superior ability to pull you out of a slide is noticeable.

CNET: Each turn we took, the car followed the direction we pointed it, with no squealing or complaining, and not a hint of slide. We eventually found some tight corners where we got a little sound from the tires, but overall the 911 4S handles incredibly well.

CNET: The Porsche 911 Carrera 4S Cabriolet drives like a dream, handles corners with near perfection, and offers efficient power from its flat six-cylinder engine.

The Sunday Times: Four time Monte Carlo rally winner Walter Röhrl says the four-wheel-drive system takes him about his business quicker than he’d travel in a Carrera S.

Autoblog: Enjoyed on the same mountain roads as the Porsche Cayman S and the Nissan GT-R, the Carrera C4S eagerly dances from corner to corner with aplomb. Sophisticated electronics divided the available traction to effectively blot out nearly all full-throttle wheel spin.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:28 AM
Originally Posted by D-squared
To the polite fellow who called my thoughts on the 4S "rubbish":

A. opinions are like ****oles -- have one, don't be one.

B. I'm not alone.

Car and Driver: The 3.8-liter C4S, in particular, now has so much torque at low revs that it pulls away like a Detroit V-8.

Car and Driver: Although the new four-wheel-drive system does not take away any of the 911’s agility, its superior ability to pull you out of a slide is noticeable.

CNET: Each turn we took, the car followed the direction we pointed it, with no squealing or complaining, and not a hint of slide. We eventually found some tight corners where we got a little sound from the tires, but overall the 911 4S handles incredibly well.

CNET: The Porsche 911 Carrera 4S Cabriolet drives like a dream, handles corners with near perfection, and offers efficient power from its flat six-cylinder engine.

The Sunday Times: Four time Monte Carlo rally winner Walter Röhrl says the four-wheel-drive system takes him about his business quicker than he’d travel in a Carrera S.

Autoblog: Enjoyed on the same mountain roads as the Porsche Cayman S and the Nissan GT-R, the Carrera C4S eagerly dances from corner to corner with aplomb. Sophisticated electronics divided the available traction to effectively blot out nearly all full-throttle wheel spin.
Hi D-Squared. I think your comment was meant for the C2S or C4S thread, but it's actually quite relevant here as well : ) Thanks for your input on the AWD, I appreciate it, as I had been considering both but decided on the C4S.

Cheers

Ross

Old 07-15-2011, 07:35 AM
Lancia has a spectacular aura aboutLancia has a spectacular aura about
Hey Ross,

No arguments with the 4wd system on ice. Ive also had an S3, S4 then the RS4 so know the brand well and the advantages.

If I lived where you did I reckon you would be crazy to go back to 2WD. The C4S lets you play from what Ive experienced driving one on the track.

That really sucks your motorcycle season is so short.

Enjoy, what are you waiting for!!!! Look forward to the photos.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by Lancia
Hey Ross,

No arguments with the 4wd system on ice. Ive also had an S3, S4 then the RS4 so know the brand well and the advantages.

If I lived where you did I reckon you would be crazy to go back to 2WD. The C4S lets you play from what Ive experienced driving one on the track.

That really sucks your motorcycle season is so short.

Enjoy, what are you waiting for!!!! Look forward to the photos.
Hi Matthew, yeah, AWD is great up here for us in the north and I just love the feeling of traction and control as well. It just locks the car down so well. And as you say, from what I've read and even somewhat experienced on test drives, it's fun in this car as well.

I'll get pics up just as quick as I can, when I (probably) bring the car home this weekend!

Cheers

Ross

Old 07-15-2011, 09:02 PM
Thanks everyone for your input. I spoke to my dealer today and the car won't be ready til the middle to end of next week, for whatever reason. So I'll be taking the plunge and becoming a porsche owner, putting the RS4 up for sale this weekend.

I have a question about a dealer installed short shifter I'm going to post on the main board.

Thanks again everyone. Will post pics when I get the car. I'm feeling pretty excited.

Cheers

Ross