997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

RS4 to 997.2 C4S Cab

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 05:04 PM
Gasguzlr is infamous around these parts
RS4 to 997.2 C4S Cab

My first post on 6speedonline. Looks like a great community. Like my title says, I have a 2008 Audi RS4 and while I love the crap out of the car, I tend to get a little bored after 3 years. My wife recently picked up a Boxster Spyder and I've been oogling the 911 C4S Cabrio. Since I've had the RS4 sedan, I've sort of missed having a drop top.

I've driving the C4S a few times, but not the Cab, and I like it. It feels a little down on power compared to my RS4 but its style and handling are nice. However, I left feeling even more impressed with the RS4 as the 911 didn't exactly blow it out of the water, handling-wise.

I guess I'd really have to drive a 997.2 for a couple of days to really get a feel for the thing, or take it to the track, but since neither of those things are currently an option, I thought I'd ask the members if anyone has made this transition and how they feel about it. Do they miss the power, or anything else? I'm a little worried that I'll miss the RS4 terribly when I let it go... it really is a fabulous car and I fall in love with it every time I drive it, but the 911 is calling my name in a big way.

Thanks for reading.

Cheers

Ross

Old 07-12-2011, 05:18 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Gasguzlr
My first post on 6speedonline. Looks like a great community. Like my title says, I have a 2008 Audi RS4 and while I love the crap out of the car, I tend to get a little bored after 3 years. My wife recently picked up a Boxster Spyder and I've been oogling the 911 C4S Cabrio. Since I've had the RS4 sedan, I've sort of missed having a drop top.

I've driving the C4S a few times, but not the Cab, and I like it. It feels a little down on power compared to my RS4 but its style and handling are nice. However, I left feeling even more impressed with the RS4 as the 911 didn't exactly blow it out of the water, handling-wise.

I guess I'd really have to drive a 997.2 for a couple of days to really get a feel for the thing, or take it to the track, but since neither of those things are currently an option, I thought I'd ask the members if anyone has made this transition and how they feel about it. Do they miss the power, or anything else? I'm a little worried that I'll miss the RS4 terribly when I let it go... it really is a fabulous car and I fall in love with it every time I drive it, but the 911 is calling my name in a big way.

Thanks for reading.

Cheers

Ross
I totally understand where you're coming from. We just got a 911S cab, to add to our C63 (which we're keeping). Both cars have different strengths. The C63 is clearly more powerful, and I'm blown away every time I hit the throttle, but the 911 is more of a pure sports car with better handling (on top of being a cab).

Since you have a Spyder, I think it wouldn't be unreasonable to just keep the RS4, but I obviously understand the appeal of getting a 911 too.

Good luck deciding!

Old 07-12-2011, 05:19 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
For a couple of years I had a MBZ C55amg as well as a 997 S. While very different cars, I loved each car for what it was. I ultimately sold the C55, as I never seemed to tire of the Porsche (cab). I do sometimes miss the comfort, space, and torque of the C55, but I love the Porsche every time I climb in, despite the compromises in space etc. When you think of it, we're pretty lucky to have such decisions to make.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:24 PM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
I know what u mean, Im thinking about getting a Rs4 '09, for my everyday car, and trade in the lexus gs, by the way the gas must go quick in that car? but i guess who cares when you hear that sick exhaust on that baby......luv it

Old 07-12-2011, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by IAA-C63
I totally understand where you're coming from. We just got a 911S cab, to add to our C63 (which we're keeping). Both cars have different strengths. The C63 is clearly more powerful, and I'm blown away every time I hit the throttle, but the 911 is more of a pure sports car with better handling (on top of being a cab).

Since you have a Spyder, I think it wouldn't be unreasonable to just keep the RS4, but I obviously understand the appeal of getting a 911 too.

Good luck deciding!
Thanks, yeah, it's been fun so far. I'm loving the idea of getting the 911 Cab. The RS4 and Spyder make great garage mates, for sure, and of course the RS4 is much more practical, but my wife and I already each have a more "practical" vehicle for winters, hauling things and people, etc so that's not really it.

Thing is, my wife is loving the Spyder so much, it's never around. She's always off in it, and while I love her enthusiasm, I have only had a chance to drive it a grand total of twice in the last 3 weeks. So having it and getting to drive it are not coincidental, unfortunately. And it's pushing me to get a ragtop of my own.

I appreciate the feedback, and while I love the RS4, I just feel it's time for a change. I just hesitate when I think about losing that gorgeous V8.

Cheers

Ross

Old 07-12-2011, 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by keninirvine
For a couple of years I had a MBZ C55amg as well as a 997 S. While very different cars, I loved each car for what it was. I ultimately sold the C55, as I never seemed to tire of the Porsche (cab). I do sometimes miss the comfort, space, and torque of the C55, but I love the Porsche every time I climb in, despite the compromises in space etc. When you think of it, we're pretty lucky to have such decisions to make.
Thanks, yes, I agree, we are lucky indeed.

I really get the feel I'll never tire of a porsche either, just hope I don't miss the RS4. That fact that you ended up not driving your C55 is an interesting point.

Cheers

Ross

Old 07-12-2011, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by rvhpno80
I know what u mean, Im thinking about getting a Rs4 '09, for my everyday car, and trade in the lexus gs, by the way the gas must go quick in that car? but i guess who cares when you hear that sick exhaust on that baby......luv it
It actually isn't that bad on gas... my S4 Cab previously was much worse. This thing seems to get better mileage the faster you go, which is cool. Or maybe it's just me. And I find it hard not to toe that peddle to hear the motor... mind you, the 911 has a pretty cool sound too.

Cheers

Ross

Old 07-12-2011, 05:55 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
there was an article in recent road & track where they compare the 2011 Spyder with 2011 S4..

http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/co....-2011-audi-s4

one thing i remember was that everyone agreed that those two cars would be great to have in one garage.. granted urs is the 08 RS4 .. but why mess with the great combo ?

i would keep things as-is and see what the 991 brings to the table next year.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:16 PM
surfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond repute
OP are you considering the TTRS? IDK if it comes in cabriolet but for the price $57K you get a lot of bang for your buck. Specs look impressive although it doesn't have the grunt of the V8.

C4S cabriolet will cost $50K than the TTRS more so make sure the Porsche is what you really want. I love my 911 and I'm sure you will too if that's the route you go.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:18 PM
aproo is infamous around these partsaproo is infamous around these parts
I say keep the RS4, its an amazing car. The sound and power of that V8. IMO, I find it easier to drive than the 911 though. You should have an everyday car really. Even though i have my 997 Cab, i still keep my E92 335. Just a thought.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:58 PM
Originally Posted by crazycarlitos
there was an article in recent road & track where they compare the 2011 Spyder with 2011 S4..

http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/co....-2011-audi-s4

one thing i remember was that everyone agreed that those two cars would be great to have in one garage.. granted urs is the 08 RS4 .. but why mess with the great combo ?

i would keep things as-is and see what the 991 brings to the table next year.
Thanks, yes I read that article and thought the same thing when they wrapped it up with that line about having both in the garage... gave me pause. I really do love the RS4, more than the new S4. It's such a raw, angry but composed machine that always wants to run hard. I just wish I didn't have this thing where I have to swap cars every few years, or that my garage had more bays...

Cheers

Ross

Old 07-12-2011, 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by surfah
OP are you considering the TTRS? IDK if it comes in cabriolet but for the price $57K you get a lot of bang for your buck. Specs look impressive although it doesn't have the grunt of the V8.

C4S cabriolet will cost $50K than the TTRS more so make sure the Porsche is what you really want. I love my 911 and I'm sure you will too if that's the route you go.
Thanks, yes I have been considering it somewhat. It looks like it's going to be an amazing machine, although I'm not really fond of the looks, not meaning to offend anyone. Along the lines of alternatives, I have also considered a Boxster Black Edition... my dealer has one spec'd out really well here for a great price and it's ready to go, I just can't see owning two Boxsters, especially when the wife has the Spyder, which I think in some ways is superior to the S. I've considered an M3, but the power delivery is different from what I'm used to, although they are an amazing machine. The RS4 feels more torquey to me and has a more savage power delivery, which I love, and really handles well for what it is, with the engine hanging way out in front of the front axle. The 997 is almost the complete opposite, with the engine hanging out the rear. Both cars have dealt amazingly well with their diametrically opposed weight and balance distribution, and because they are somewhat more challenging to master, feel more rewarding when you begin to understand how to take advantage of their strengths. I think that's why I'm so drawn to the 911 as well.

Cheers

Ross

Old 07-12-2011, 10:19 PM
Originally Posted by aproo
I say keep the RS4, its an amazing car. The sound and power of that V8. IMO, I find it easier to drive than the 911 though. You should have an everyday car really. Even though i have my 997 Cab, i still keep my E92 335. Just a thought.
Thank you for your thoughts... believe me, I may do just that. After three years with this car, every time I drive it I fall in love all over again... I love the sound of that engine, and the way it attacks the road. It corners like it has no business doing. I still find myself getting up and 5am on weekends to rip up the local roads in the summertime. And you're right, it is easy to drive in that it is just dead stable through sweepers requiring very little correction but handling any midturn input without concern. I learned quickly about the 911's "slow in, fast out" rule, which really doesn't have to be THAT slow, just a little slower than the RS4 or it'll push wide. The RS4 loads up the outer front wheel in fast corners with all that weight over the front axle and quattro yanks it through the turn beautifully with gobs of traction, but on the other hand the 911 squats and drives out even better than the Audi once you're past the initial dive in. THAT is fun. And the 911 is just so beautiful, with that legendary profile.

I'm really enjoying reading all the opinions... thank you for the replies... hopefully they keep coming.

Cheers

Ross

Old 07-12-2011, 11:10 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I've driven an RS4 , have an M3 , also have a 997 Turbo and my vote is to get the Turbo Cab .

First off the M3 is a greatly improved car in 2011 with features like the competition package and sport exhaust but we can't even begin to discuss raw power unless the Turbo is at least mentioned .

A C4S Cab is not a cheap car . It's in that price league that places it close enough . By the time one adds on things like full leather and a few other goodies its even closer in price .

The Turbo will have
1) The AWD
2) An extra 100 Hp
3)The cab top
4) The perfect blance between the nimble agility of a Boxster Spyder contrasted to the sledgehammer performance of a Turbo
5) all the luxury ... all the power .. all that one needs.

It sounds like you are almost there ... with a c4S Cab.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I've driven an RS4 , have an M3 , also have a 997 Turbo and my vote is to get the Turbo Cab .

First off the M3 is a greatly improved car in 2011 with features like the competition package and sport exhaust but we can't even begin to discuss raw power unless the Turbo is at least mentioned .

A C4S Cab is not a cheap car . It's in that price league that places it close enough . By the time one adds on things like full leather and a few other goodies its even closer in price .

The Turbo will have
1) The AWD
2) An extra 100 Hp
3)The cab top
4) The perfect blance between the nimble agility of a Boxster Spyder contrasted to the sledgehammer performance of a Turbo
5) all the luxury ... all the power .. all that one needs.

It sounds like you are almost there ... with a c4S Cab.
Indeed... the turbo cab is formidable. I have been up and down that dollar ladder more than once when considering Audi's... I was thinking about an R8, but then why stop at the R8 V8 when there's a V10 available. And now in a Cab, so how can you not get that? And then you have to consider the 911 Turbo Cab. On and on. The price threshold climbs rapidly in your mind, but I just can't justify spending that much money on a car I'd only drive half the year up here. So I've restrained myself to keep the cost under $140,000 Canadian. I would consider a good CPO TT if I came across one.

Cheers, and thanks for the response.

Ross

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: RS4 to 997.2 C4S Cab