997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

C2S vs. C4S PROS & CONS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 08:14 AM
texas355 has a spectacular aura abouttexas355 has a spectacular aura abouttexas355 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Rodolfo
Now I am leaning toward the 2S,

PROS

Lower price

More 2S in the market, than 4S

Weights less

People say it is more fun to drive, or faster than the 4S in most situations

CONS:

DOESN`T HAVE THE WIDE *** LOOK THAT I LOVE, SH::::::::T

Does anyone have pics form behind of a 2S and a 4S
Drive both of them. Then pick the one that feels better. You cant go wrong. I never drove a C4. I am kind of curious now.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:10 AM
mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !
Old 07-15-2011, 09:34 AM
dailydriver is infamous around these parts
To me... performance being close to the same between the two, I take the C4 every day of the week. That big fat back side says it all in my opinion, but to each his own.

As many others have suggested, drive both (a couple of each if you can) and pick the car that feels best to you.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:35 AM
D-squared is infamous around these partsD-squared is infamous around these parts
And of course, all of us think we have the driving skills of the Stig. Note, too, those are non-S models. The added horsepower really does make a difference.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:13 AM
ScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really nice
I owned a C4S and now own a GT3, so I have a little to compare to.....The C4S to me was a more stable platform and I like the big a$$ look. Drive both and draw your own conclusions, but make sure you are happy with your decision. That, in the end, is what really matters. I do think there is an advantage in a 4S in handling having driven both rear wheel and all wheel drives (and driven them hard). If you are a track superstar, then I say a rear wheel is good to go, but most people are not track superstars. A 4S may get you out of trouble when you really need it.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:23 AM
Gibbo205 is a jewel in the roughGibbo205 is a jewel in the roughGibbo205 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by D-squared
To the polite fellow who called my thoughts on the 4S "rubbish":

A. opinions are like ****oles -- have one, don't be one.

B. I'm not alone.

Car and Driver: The 3.8-liter C4S, in particular, now has so much torque at low revs that it pulls away like a Detroit V-8.

Car and Driver: Although the new four-wheel-drive system does not take away any of the 911’s agility, its superior ability to pull you out of a slide is noticeable.

CNET: Each turn we took, the car followed the direction we pointed it, with no squealing or complaining, and not a hint of slide. We eventually found some tight corners where we got a little sound from the tires, but overall the 911 4S handles incredibly well.

CNET: The Porsche 911 Carrera 4S Cabriolet drives like a dream, handles corners with near perfection, and offers efficient power from its flat six-cylinder engine.

The Sunday Times: Four time Monte Carlo rally winner Walter Röhrl says the four-wheel-drive system takes him about his business quicker than he’d travel in a Carrera S.

Autoblog: Enjoyed on the same mountain roads as the Porsche Cayman S and the Nissan GT-R, the Carrera C4S eagerly dances from corner to corner with aplomb. Sophisticated electronics divided the available traction to effectively blot out nearly all full-throttle wheel spin.

It is rubbish, you say the C4S is vastly faster through corners than a C2S, that is rubbish, its not an oppinion its factual.

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evoc...4s_review.html
The purity of the 2wd set up means that on a warm summer day it would still be more fun and the lap time gap between the two would be considerably smaller. A car which is vastly faster through turns will be lapping several seconds faster, 2s ni the wet and that gap, well what gap in the dry!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWy1A...eature=related
911 C2 1/4 Mile - 12,179s
911 C4 1/4 Mile - 12,166s

911 C2S 1/4 Mile 1st attempt - 11,772s
911 C4S 1/4 Mile 1st attempt - 11,833s

911 C2S 1/4 Mile 2nd attempt - 12,058s
911 C4S 1/4 Mile 2nd attempt - 12,053s

FASTEST LAPS DATA

http://www.fastestlaps.com/cars/pors...carrera_s.html - 997.1 C2S

http://www.fastestlaps.com/cars/pors...arrera_4s.html - 997.1 C4S

You will see the C2S is faster on some tracks, the C4S on others, this could be down to driver, fact cars were not driven on same day etc.

http://www.fastestlaps.com/cars/pors..._facelift.html - 997.2 C2S

http://www.fastestlaps.com/cars/pors..._facelift.html - 997.2 C4S

NordSchleife (Nurdburgring Lap Times)

997.1 C2S - 7:59
997.2 C2S - 7:50
997.2 C4S - 8:04

Look at that, even the older 997.1 C2S is quicker than the newer more powerful C4S on a track that has every type of corner imaginable. Surely if as you say the C4S can take corners with such greater speeds then how come the C2S is quicker on track and how come GT3 and GT2 don't use 4WD drive, yet are Porsche best handling and quickest cars?

Again comparing the laptimes above the C2S wins some and the C4S wins some, this is certainly not evidence of the C4S been able to corner considerably quicker as you state.

Infact all the lap times out there clearly indicate both cars can corner incredibly fast and the real result is that its too close to call, which certainly does not make one particular faster than the other.

The benefits the C4S has is better wet cornering ability and its more confidence inspiring with a more planted feeling, because yes I've driven several C4S.

The benefits of the C2S is it feels more alert, more like a wild horse, its more fun and more purer and that I preferre.

In the turns they both have a very similar turn of speed, one is certainly not considerably faster than the other like you state. What I do know is I get far more grins per mile in my C2S than I would a C4S and is hence why I purchased a C2S.

Last edited by Gibbo205; 07-15-2011 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:26 AM
Gibbo205 is a jewel in the roughGibbo205 is a jewel in the roughGibbo205 is a jewel in the rough
And of course, all of us think we have the driving skills of the Stig. Note, too, those are non-S models. The added horsepower really does make a difference.

How does added horsepower effect how these two cars take turns?

The S have wider rear tyres to handle the extra power and the joy of having the engine over the back means there is no issues in deploying that power.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:37 AM
Originally Posted by mattyf

Pretty much sums up my point completely.

My point is both cars get through the turns at pretty much identical speed, there is practically nothing in it.

The C2 did 1:12
The C4 did 1:11.5

So 1/2 a second faster yet D-squared claims the 4S is considerably quicker through the turns, wheras infact its hardly any quicker at all, in some turns its marginally quicker, in others its marginally slower.

Surely if the C4 is considerably quicker through turns as D-Squared claims then the C4 should be several seconds faster per lap.

So yes the S cars have another 30BHP, but they are also equipped with 295/305 rear section tyres compared to 265 section tyres found on the regular 911 to keep that extra power under control.

Fact is whether its RWD or AWD version of the 911 their ability in corners is amazing and both are very evenly matched. One is not considerably quicker than the other as D-squared claimed, to do so is rubbish.

The Stig also liked the RWD varient the most to drive!

Old 07-15-2011, 10:46 AM
I not only love the wide ***, but I found the 4's to be exhilerating to drive. I can take corners at a much faster rate than the 2 is capable of, and feeling the power being parsed out to all four wheels when I come off the apex is a joy. The grip these cars have is simply stunning. I completely disagree with those who say the 2's are more fun or faster to drive.

I am disagreeing with the bold points, you claim the 4S can take corners at a much faster rate than a 2S, this is untrue.

You also claim you disagree with those who claim the 2's are more fun to drive and faster to drive.

Facts are as outlined by track times, professional drivers and both the differences in corner ability of these cars is far too close to call.

The fact you say YOU CAN take corners quicker in a C4S than you could in a C2S, is not the ability of the car, but your own abilities as a driver.

You than say the 4S is just as much fun, did you not hear the bit where Stig said the C4 felt ponderous, thats a professional race driver and how he found the C2 was more alert, nimble, fun and would be his choice.

You've made claims, which to put quite simply are untrue.

Maybe you should have re-written your reply along the lines that the C4S is easier to drive quicker due to the more confidence it inspires from its AWD system and as such you can drive a C4S quicker than you could a C2S. This is down to drivers abilities, wheras both cars ability are very close, you imply the C4S can take corners much faster, if that was the case the C4S would not only be faster at every track it would be considerably faster. Fact is the two are so evenly matched they both have victories.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:46 AM
Dr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of light
Let's see, a race car driver like The Stig prefers the C2.
A rally car driver like Röhrl prefers the C4.

Makes perfect sense. I doubt anyone without their abilities and experience would notice a significant difference. Seriously.

Some prefer a sleek backside, some prefer a lard butt. Get the one you prefer and don't listen to what others think. There really is no wrong answer. Either one is far more capable than the vast majority of people driving them.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:29 AM
seapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of light
Drive them both; Price them both. Attend some DE events or talk to other PCA members. See what mods the track guys/gals have done and why. And have fun; it's all about self improvement and enjoyment IMO

Old 07-15-2011, 11:38 AM
Truble10 is infamous around these parts
I prefer the look of the wide body but do not like the AWD. The turbo has enough HP to make up for the AWD but for me the non turbo does not. The non turbo AWD cars feel heavy and sluggish to me.

Drive both and get what fits you best.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:40 AM
split is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these parts
the only advantage AWD gives you is the ability to accelerate out of the corner sooner. if you just put wider tires / stickier tires on the 2S, you will be able to do the same. These are 6cyl non-turbo cars we're driving, they're not going to break 305's loose easily.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:00 PM
Waxer is a glorious beacon of lightWaxer is a glorious beacon of lightWaxer is a glorious beacon of lightWaxer is a glorious beacon of lightWaxer is a glorious beacon of lightWaxer is a glorious beacon of light
I have owned both. They are different. The C4S is a little heavier in feel and in steering. You will even get front diff lock on turning in to sharp just like in any 4 wheel drive car ala' Jeep. I love the wide rear on the C4S.

You can definitely feel the front end clawing and pulling as you accelerate around turns.

The Carrera 2 feels "lighter" in feel and in steering. Feels more nimble. Classic 911.

As someone posted. Look at the GTS. Its a C2 with the big butt and more power to boot and they have been produced in limited numbers. Thats the ticket!

I love both the C2S and C4S.. Its kinda like deciding between a hot blonde or red head. They are both a great ride but most mortals can only have one at a time. You have to choose.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:54 PM
docfink is infamous around these parts
To the polite fellow who called my thoughts on the 4S "rubbish":

A. opinions are like ****oles -- have one, don't be one.

B. I'm not alone.

Car and Driver: The 3.8-liter C4S, in particular, now has so much torque at low revs that it pulls away like a Detroit V-8.

Car and Driver: Although the new four-wheel-drive system does not take away any of the 911’s agility, its superior ability to pull you out of a slide is noticeable.

CNET: Each turn we took, the car followed the direction we pointed it, with no squealing or complaining, and not a hint of slide. We eventually found some tight corners where we got a little sound from the tires, but overall the 911 4S handles incredibly well.

CNET: The Porsche 911 Carrera 4S Cabriolet drives like a dream, handles corners with near perfection, and offers efficient power from its flat six-cylinder engine.

The Sunday Times: Four time Monte Carlo rally winner Walter Röhrl says the four-wheel-drive system takes him about his business quicker than he’d travel in a Carrera S.

Autoblog: Enjoyed on the same mountain roads as the Porsche Cayman S and the Nissan GT-R, the Carrera C4S eagerly dances from corner to corner with aplomb. Sophisticated electronics divided the available traction to effectively blot out nearly all full-throttle wheel spin.

+1...sometimes the truth hurts.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C2S vs. C4S PROS & CONS