997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

C2S vs. C4S PROS & CONS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 10:41 PM
Ptarded is a jewel in the roughPtarded is a jewel in the roughPtarded is a jewel in the rough
Exclamation

Originally Posted by buckwheat986
you have a great set up on your turbo....modded based on your track experience. (I'm sure if you wanted a gt3 you could have easily gone that route.

All this stuff about handling and lap times and getting fast out of the turn is nice...but for most of us and the driving talents we possess its just talk.

Any any 996 or newer 911 carrera is pretty easy to drive fast on the street and put a smile on your face.

To the Porsche potential owner...get what you like when YOU drive it...

cab or coupe, PDK or 6 speed, base or S, 2 or 4.

And once in your hands go have some fun.
+1 Please stop filling the threads with flame wars. he asked for personal opinions, no one person is wrong or right. He's just looking for some owner's insight. If he wanted track times or reviews he could research them himself. If he was a track demon he probably would already have his choice figured out w/o us.

That said, I prefer the look of the 4s and also as a daily driver I believe it is the better choice. Better handling in the rain also drivable in light snow. Also if you are no a track demon and are a real world driver who enjoys spirited driving it is MY OPINION that the 4s is EASIER NOT BETTER than the 2s to take into corners fast as the AWD system can pull you in any direction you point you wheels in with minimal effort. Cheers and good luck in finding your one true love. You will know when you drive it if it's for you.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:34 AM
seapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of light
Raining this morning in the pacific NW. So much for July weather. We run our track days here at Pacific Raceways rain or shine(had one three days ago). A C4S thrives in the rain ; at least I feel more confident in it than my wife's Boxster (and that's a mid engined car). But that's just me. More instruction in the rain by professionals and I would have fun in any weather. Depends on where you live and play IMO.

Old 07-16-2011, 06:57 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
I was originally looking for a C2S but could not find one with the options and I wanted. I wanted a 997 with an aerokit, I saw many C2 with it, but I wanted an 'S' and did not want to compromised. A C4S popped up with everything I wanted so I purchased it. No regrets. The C4S is 95% rear biased so it feels like a rear wheel drive car, I've learned to love the bigger rear. I don't think you'll regret getting either.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:33 PM
Plp39503 has a spectacular aura aboutPlp39503 has a spectacular aura about
Clearly, the right answer is to get a C6S - a C4S for the road and a C2S for the track LOL!

I've only driven a C4S on roads (my DD), and have only driven a C2S on tracks (borrowed or " rented") at PSDS. Both felt at home in their element.

I consider myself fairly new at this, bought the C4S because of wet, rainy Houston roads.

Look forward to tracking my 4S to gather more data for this debate!

Old 07-16-2011, 11:17 PM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
From Hurley Haywood:

"(Carrera 4) maintains it's performance over a longer period of time. On a race track, the Carrera 2 would be faster for one or two laps. But over a five lap period, the Carrera 4 would be quicker because it manages it's tires better and allows you to lay down power through all four wheels."

Old 07-16-2011, 11:23 PM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
Split the difference and go for the GTS. Widebody of the 4S and powerkit is standard.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:27 AM
gregporsche is infamous around these parts
Several years ago, I owned a 2003 996 Carrera, a 2004 996 C4S Convertible and a 2007 997 C4S at the same time. Each car was a pleasure to drive and I did not consider any one of these cars to be "better" than the other. Each car gave me a different driving experience. The 996 Carrera was nimble and light and the steering felt razor sharp to me. The 996 C4S convertible felt slower and heavier to me, but felt more secure and stable at high speeds with the 4 wheel drive. The 997 C4S simply improved on every aspect to me; speed, security, sound, but it did not have the light, nimble feeling of the 996 Carrera, at least to me. I now drive a 996 Turbo. All of these cars have great attributes. If I had to pick any car of the bunch, it would be the 997 C4S.....

Attached Images  
Old 07-17-2011, 01:50 AM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
Wow this turned into a manual/pdk thread.. guess you hit a nerve! I never owned a Porsche and wanted a Targa - only option was a 4/4S. I think in our Canadian winters it really helps - we could not drive my buddies C2 in heavy rain/snow.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:58 AM
unclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really nice
I owned a 997.1 C4S and now a GTS

Both cars are unique and not really comparable.

The C4S is an awesome all weather commute sports car. I had a TC Design Fab alignment and Bilsteins on it - handled like it was on rails, very little understeer, street, track (Laguna), and local AX, car was great.

The GTS feels planted but does not have the outright grip of the C4S. A different experience completely.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:31 AM
split is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Ptarded
That said, I prefer the look of the 4s and also as a daily driver I believe it is the better choice. Better handling in the rain also drivable in light snow.
There's no doubt that the widebody of the 4s looks better than the 2s, however you'd have to be driving extremely wreckless to even notice the benefit of AWD in the rain. As for snow, i drove my C2 through canadian winter last year with no problem at all. The engine sitting ontop of the rear tires gives you plenty of stability and grip, even on ice / snow. The only benefit AWD would have, would be to keep you from getting stuck in deep snow.

Originally Posted by unclejosh
Both cars are unique and not really comparable.

The C4S is an awesome all weather commute sports car. I had a TC Design Fab alignment and Bilsteins on it - handled like it was on rails, very little understeer, street, track (Laguna), and local AX, car was great.

The GTS feels planted but does not have the outright grip of the C4S. A different experience completely.
I'm seeing a lot of posts about the C4S having more grip. While this is technically true, it is easily mitigated by running wider and stickier tires in the rear of the C2S / GTS. Its funny that the C4s get the widebody when they dont need wider tires in the rear. Odd strategy porsche.

In a nutshell, running a GTS with some good tires in the rear is, IMO, the best solution -- but to each their own.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:14 AM
Waxer is a glorious beacon of lightWaxer is a glorious beacon of lightWaxer is a glorious beacon of lightWaxer is a glorious beacon of lightWaxer is a glorious beacon of lightWaxer is a glorious beacon of light
Most prudent drivers slow down in the rain anyway unless your racing.

I loved my C4S. I love my GTS more!

Old 07-18-2011, 11:53 AM
qikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud of
I got my C4S because first the awesome wider body looks so good and 2nd the added confidence awd gives the driver. The 2 inch wider rear end on the C4S, in my opinion stands out more and looks awesome, and the wider rear wheels/tires (305 vs 295 tire size). The better balance with the front axle, psm different for awd, preloading brake cylinder feature is also different and nice upgrades on C4S over the 2S.

I have experienced greater confidence in handling (especially tight corners) in the dry in a C4S, so in the snow or rain I would only expect that confidence
to grow even greater with AWD. The 2wd Carrera's front end tends to get very light and push a lot more under hard accelleration during cornering then the AWD 4S in tight corners and accellerating hard through the exit. I found I had to be a lot more restrained in the 2S vs 4S during some spirited canyon driving with my friends 2S and then less
restrained and more confident jumping back into my 4S. This all being in dry weather! I can not comment on snow conditions, because I will not drive
my C4S in the snow, don't want her dirty plus living in Southern Cal, we don't get much snow out here. But rain conditions.... I love hearing and feeling all 4 wheels clawing for traction ;^)

My advice.... decide what it is you REALLY want... be very patient and search some more. It took me 6 months to find my C4S and it has every option I wanted,
fully loaded, beautiful interior options, exterior color, wheels, tires, LOW mileage, and great price. IT was the EXACT car I wanted and dreamed about. I have NO regrets whatsoever. God was looking out for me because out of frustration I almost purchased a different C4S at one point that I was going to "settle on". I got my cashiers check for the full amount, drove 2 hours to the dealership and when I got there some one had called 20 minutes before and put a deposit on the car over the phone. I was devastated because I had spent a lot of time "convincing" myself that one was the car for me and best I could find, but in my heart I knew I was settling. So my gut never felt right about it.. 2 months later I found my PERFECT 911 and I knew it the instant I saw her. I could not hand my check over fast enough I was so excited.... I hope you can find one like that.. that you know instantly , "this is the one for me" ;^)

In the mean time take a few more test drives in both automatic vs manual, 2wd vs awd and see if you can get a good feel for how they differ through the canyons.
Dry daily city driving they will feel the same. It is the extremes where the difference will stand out. All the Best on your search. Do what makes you happy, not what makes others happy when it comes to getting 4S or 2S and be realistic about your driving abilities. I think it will come down to looks and driving confidence in the end.
All the best, there are worst things to worry about or decisions to make
Bill

some one posted these best motoring drag races before, but watch the full lap race too
drag race
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWy1A...t=HL1311008129

Full Hot laps 4S vs 2S

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffGw_...E79A096C7FB24D

Old 07-26-2011, 07:22 AM
D-squared is infamous around these partsD-squared is infamous around these parts
Gibbo205:

Dude, you really need to calm down. This is a place where people who are passionate about their Porsches come to express ideas, give opinions, and seek advice. What has become clear in this particular thread is there is a large difference of opinion about which of these is a better vehicle for a typical driver - and no one is right or wrong; they're OPINIONS. For every statistic and anectdote touting one side, there is another touting the other.

But your posts read like you're frothing at the mouth and, IMHO, they border on trollish. So take a breath (or another Xanax) and take your lovely P-car out on some twisties.

Just be careful not to take the corners too fast -- you don't have AWD to save your *** if things get sloppy.