997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Mystery part

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 08:39 PM
w00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to behold
Mystery part

As i was under my rear bumper looking for a rattle i've been hearing i found these loose metal braided 'tubes'

I'm assuming this is my rattle, but i have one on each side loose & disconnected from whatever it connects to

Does anyone know what these are & where they go?

thanks!

Attached Images   
Old 07-15-2011, 09:57 PM
AP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud of
I think it's the vacuum line that goes to your PSE port actuator. It's the right side PSE muffler. Of course I'm assuming you have a PSE; If you don't I have no idea.

Oops . . Just looked at your signature and it states you have a Cargraphic Exhaust. If that system doesn't use vacuum then I assume your ride had a PSE prior to that system and whom ever installed it didn't bother to remove the PSE relics.

Last edited by AP 997S; 07-15-2011 at 10:02 PM.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:31 AM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
jp,

I think those r u wifes fishnet stockings....retracted of course....LOL

Old 07-16-2011, 05:06 AM
KK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud of
That's a fuel-exhaust tube for the optional flame-thrower.

I wanted that option. Lucky!

Old 07-16-2011, 06:58 AM
w00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by jjc4scab
jp,

I think those r u wifes fishnet stockings....retracted of course....LOL

Old 07-16-2011, 07:00 AM
Originally Posted by AP 997S
I think it's the vacuum line that goes to your PSE port actuator. It's the right side PSE muffler. Of course I'm assuming you have a PSE; If you don't I have no idea.

Oops . . Just looked at your signature and it states you have a Cargraphic Exhaust. If that system doesn't use vacuum then I assume your ride had a PSE prior to that system and whom ever installed it didn't bother to remove the PSE relics.
No PSE on the car.......i removed the stock ones & put the cargraphics on myself

Old 07-16-2011, 07:13 AM
Gator Skin is infamous around these parts
Common rattle is the o2 sensors on the cats. If they are loose they can rattle like crazy. Check and see if they are screwed in tight.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:50 AM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by KK Moto
That's a fuel-exhaust tube for the optional flame-thrower.

I wanted that option. Lucky!

Old 07-16-2011, 09:05 AM
AP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by w00zie
No PSE on the car.......i removed the stock ones & put the cargraphics on myself
If the car never had PSE then I have no idea. They certainly look like PSE vacuum lines. When you're looking in your motor compartment do you see those type of stainless steel wrapped vacuum lines going anywhere? See the 2 images attached.

Attached Images   
Old 07-16-2011, 03:04 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
Did the car have PSE originally? If so, that's your answer.

Old 07-16-2011, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by djantlive
Did the car have PSE originally? If so, that's your answer.
I asked 'w00zie' the same question. He implied no but really did state what type of muffler system he replaced. He simply said 'stock'.

Old 07-16-2011, 03:43 PM
I asked 'w00zie' the same question. He implied no but really did state what type of muffler system he replaced. He simply said 'stock'.

Car had oem cans when I bought it

I should check my vin to see what came with the car
I got the car around 14000 miles

But the line sure look like the pic above

Wouldn't my car have the pse button?

Old 07-16-2011, 08:07 PM
Well,,,,checked my VIN & my car came with Option code IXLF........Sports exhaust system!!!

Why in the world someone would take it off before 14,000 miles & replace it with oem standard cans is beyond me.....

I wonder if all the infrastructure is still there for the PSE, and would it be plug and play with a set of PSE cans,,,,not that i want to change my Cargraphics...just curious if they stripped the system (and left the vacuum lines of course)

Amazing,,,,i've had this car for over 4 years, i've been through MANY exhausts and never noticed those lines before,,let alone knew that my car came with PSE ...LOL

Old 07-16-2011, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by w00zie
well,,,,checked my vin & my car came with option code ixlf........sports exhaust system!!! thought so!

why in the world someone would take it off before 14,000 miles & replace it with oem standard cans is beyond me..... sold them $$$$

i wonder if all the infrastructure is still there for the pse, and would it be plug and play with a set of pse cans,,,,not that i want to change my cargraphics...just curious if they stripped the system (and left the vacuum lines of course) look to see if the pse solenoid is still there!

amazing,,,,i've had this car for over 4 years, i've been through many exhausts and never noticed those lines before,,let alone knew that my car came with pse ...lol
Make sure you don't have any open PSE vacuum lines. You might be losing vacuum if so. PSE uses tees to get the required vacuum from I think the power steering pump. If they're left open it's probably not a good thing.

Bottom line . . . mystery solved (w/o DNA)

Last edited by AP 997S; 07-16-2011 at 09:30 PM.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:52 AM
Make sure you don't have any open PSE vacuum lines. You might be losing vacuum if so. PSE uses tees to get the required vacuum from I think the power steering pump. If they're left open it's probably not a good thing.

Bottom line . . . mystery solved (w/o DNA)
Where would the PSE solenoid be?

I tried following the lines in but they get up in around some pretty tight areas

i'm going to get the car up on ramps today and take a peek

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mystery part