997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Question for PDK owners...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 12:16 AM
seapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of light
I use the shifter from 1st to 2nd sometimes turning 90 degrees like left or right turns and sometimes use the paddle shifter from 1st to 2nd keeping my hands at 9 and 3. Auto 60% paddle shift 35% gear shift 5% Sport 40% Eco mode 60%. Depends on traffic, the road,etc. New cars come with paddle shifters. Go test drive one and put it in sport mode, manual and paddle shift away. Supposedly the 991 will have an improved PDK or 7 speed manual.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:29 AM
doug2255 has a spectacular aura aboutdoug2255 has a spectacular aura about
I am 100% manual mode and also just use the shifter usually between 1st and 2nd when starting and turning at the the same time.

I was going to look into getting the paddles, but I am hooked on the buttons - the one handed shifting , to me, is definitely a one up on the paddles. - Just my opinion, but then just a few years ago, I used to laugh at anyone who drove a P-car that was not a 6-speed. Now for me, it the only way to go. (I do miss a real manual at times, but not enough to make next p-Car one - I think)

Old 07-18-2011, 05:52 AM
seapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of light
Wife has a manual 05 Boxster . I get to use my left foot when she let's drive her car. LOL. And she doesn't like my C4S with PDK which is OK with me.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:13 AM
K997 is infamous around these partsK997 is infamous around these parts
I'm almost always in auto-mode (with or w/o Sport on). I replaced my steering wheel with the paddle shift version - much nicer, sportier and easier to use IMO. I find the PDK can shift better than I can, so I'd rather let the software do the work.

I never really use the shift lever to change gears.

I quite often use the paddles to down shift as I'm trying to slow down for a couple of reasons - I enjoy the sound the engine makes on down shift (especially when it lets you drop it into 1st gear), and second it allows me to engine brake, rather than use my actual brakes. Of course I only do this when there isn't someone riding my a$$.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:09 AM
richard181 is infamous around these parts
90% in maunal mode with hand shifter. If I had paddles might use them more than the buttons. Weekend car. The buttons are annoying.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:47 AM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by hockeyguy4u
Question for PDK owners who use their car as daily drivers, not for the track...

Does anyone else drive primarily in manual mode,
yes - 95% manual/sport

but use the SHIFTER instead of the buttons/paddles?
rarely, except for 1/2 shift pulling into traffic when making a turn and car not warmed up - don't like to rev past 4K cold so I have to grab 2nd and the buttons aren't handy mid-turn - paddles would be same problem (or worse due to lack of symmetry)

I've thought about changing out my steering wheel to get the paddles, since I read how great they are, but will I waste my money?
Hard to say - "waste money" is sort of "too late" with these cars anyway - you're already well down the road of "do what you want, not what you need".

I had a paddle loaner for a couple of days - first day I though wow, cool - 2nd day - thrill was gone and I was back to preferring the symmetrical buttons. Plus I'd have to do the Champion paddles as there is no way I'm giving up the multi-function and heated wheel - two features PAGs paddle-wheel don't support.

So first get some service or a good test drive and a paddle-shift loaner and see how you like it.

My shift timing is still better with the stick - old habits, but I am getting better with the buttons with practice - in another 20 years, I think I'll have it down as tight as using the stick.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:14 PM
911JDB is infamous around these parts
Never touch the buttons. Always in Sport unless I'm half asleep. Half in manual and half in Auto. Rarely in Sport Plus. Have fun. Getting the paddles as this is like driving my shifter kart.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:46 AM
J.Seven is infamous around these parts
70% manual (30% Sport plus / 50% Sport mode / 20% normal setting-manely on highways at stable speed) always PASM normal
30% Auto mode ( 80% normal setting / 20 % Sport mode)

While in manual (80% Paddles / 20% gear lever)

You should get the paddles steering, it´s a world of difference and the driving becomes more invloving, you tend to use much more the manual mode. Still not as involving as a manual, but it has is on character too. I find myself missing a manual, but I´m sure if I buy a manual again, I will find myself missing the paddles My next car will be probably the 991, and I really don´t know if I go with manual or PDK, will have to test the new 7 speed gearbox to make my final decision, but if someone uses this car in a daily basis, PDK is a must have as the manual with time becomes tireing on city driving and the clucth pedal after some miles becomes like a truck clucth, very heavy. My friend has a 997.1 manual from 07 with 25.000Km and the clucth pedal is a rock .

J.Seven

Old 07-19-2011, 10:04 AM
LPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to behold
PDK Use

Originally Posted by hockeyguy4u
...still nobody has as voiced an opinion as to my original question, of whether or not to get a new steering wheels with paddles, especially in regards to my driving patterns...
I enjoy the four options the pdk offers, each for specific reasons:
manual shifter: when cruising w/ few driving 'events'.
manual w/ buttons: When aggressively driving, ie. mountain roads w/ great vertical travel and turns. The road is easier to focus on with hands at 3-9.
auto: when in the City or traffic barely moving. When others unfamiliar w/ the car are driving.
auto-override: learned this from my dsg Audi; you can take complete control over the trans at any point when in auto for emergency action. The auto mode re-connects only after a quiet level of activity. Docile to aggressive then I throw the shifter into play.

RE: pads versus buttons: the revision to pads would match my dsg and there is nothing wrong with that but I'll say this, the downshift buttons on the back of the steering wheel at 3-9 make for simplicity, on roads such as the Tail of the Dragon.

6speed versus pdk: I suggest one decide after running a serious twisty road.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:59 PM
ssc4s is infamous around these partsssc4s is infamous around these parts
not sure why you would want to do that.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:12 AM
unclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really nice
My GTS is a daily driver. In traffic and around town, or on the freeway I downshift and upshift as needed with the paddles only. On twisty canyon roads I do sport or sport plus and usually use the paddles often enough to override the car slipping back into auto. I dont use the shifter because I like having both hands on the wheel as much as possible. The paddles are perfectly positioned.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:27 AM
m5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nice
100% auto mode.... paddles or buttons are silly. Should have gone with a 6 speed manual..... oh well... next time.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:49 AM
CPB
CPB is infamous around these parts
95% manual mode. I use the stick and not the buttons. Would use paddles if I had them.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:57 PM
dsanto is infamous around these parts
I almost bought the paddle wheel to replace the buttons as I wanted it for track use. However I found out that on the track sport + in auto mode works just as well if not better than manual shifting so I saved my money and just learned to use the buttons if I feel like shifting. I'd use auto mode more if it didn't make me feel guilty for not shifting. If I want the best gas mileage auto is the way to go!!

Old 07-20-2011, 10:41 PM
neuneleven has a spectacular aura aboutneuneleven has a spectacular aura about
80% auto, 20% manual. Manual usually in sport mode unless quickly downshifting on a ramp or to surge past an annoyance in the normal mode. Rarely have run in sport plus as sport is adequate on public roads. Shift in manual 3/4 buttons, 1/4 stick. Flirted with paddles mod but dumped the idea, i can fully handle the bottons as they are. Whoever buys my car next change them if so desired