997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Question for PDK owners...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 03:45 PM
hockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant future
Question for PDK owners...

Question for PDK owners who use their car as daily drivers, not for the track...

Does anyone else drive primarily in manual mode, but use the SHIFTER instead of the buttons/paddles? I find myself doing this, driving the car like a manual... I have the buttons (2009), not the paddles, but I always seem to go back to manual shifting by the gear shifter the vast majority of the time. (Btw, I am competent in using the buttons, which are particularly good for one-handed use...)

I've thought about changing out my steering wheel to get the paddles, since I read how great they are, but will I waste my money? I mean, will I, in the end, revert back to my current pattern anyway? Or, alternatively, would I perhaps develop a preference for using the paddles, one that I didn't with the buttons?

Just curious if anyone else like me still shifts his pdk car like a manual....

Last edited by hockeyguy4u; 07-17-2011 at 03:49 PM.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:50 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Not to hijack the thread, but while we're at it, can the PDK guys also specify how often they do any kind of shifting at all vs. drive using a full auto mode?

Old 07-17-2011, 03:54 PM
hockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant future
ok..
for me it's about 90% manual, 10% auto.
I only use Auto mode if I'm really tired, or if multi-tasking (drinking coffee, fiddling with stereo or something)

Old 07-17-2011, 04:31 PM
Dr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of light
I almost exclusively use the automatic modes. I figure the computer is smarter than I am. Most often 'sport' mode, but with PASM set to 'normal'.

On the track, it's 'sport plus' and hang on!

Old 07-17-2011, 05:39 PM
JohnAMG is infamous around these parts
90% manual mode, and shift with "buttons" majority of the time.

John

Old 07-17-2011, 06:07 PM
porshanut is infamous around these parts
90% auto in the sport mode. Only off sport mode in heavy traffic.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:18 PM
DMoore is a jewel in the roughDMoore is a jewel in the roughDMoore is a jewel in the roughDMoore is a jewel in the rough
Virtually 100% in auto. I have SPASM and chrono plus in my GTS. Car is in non-sport and "regular" suspension setting 100% of the time on the street - 100% "sport plus" and "sport" suspension on the track. On AX course I tend to run it in non-sport since "sport" makes the throttle too sensitive to modulate. SPASM at AX is non-sport or sport, depending on how bumpy the track is.

My first exposure to PDK was at PSDS in 2009. The instructors there said "try it in manual, try it in automatic. You'll see how good the PDK is and you'll end up just leaving it in automatic all the time, like we do." They were right.

About the only time I leave automatic is on a two lane road, when I'm anticipating a pass, and downshift manually to be ready.

DMoore
'11 GTS with PDK
'10 Panamera 4S (With PDK, natch)

Old 07-17-2011, 06:28 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
I drive 100% in manual mode. I mostly use the redundant shift buttons, either one, and occasionally the gear lever.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:35 PM
...still nobody has as voiced an opinion as to my original question, of whether or not to get a new steering wheels with paddles, especially in regards to my driving patterns...

Old 07-17-2011, 06:43 PM
DMoore is a jewel in the roughDMoore is a jewel in the roughDMoore is a jewel in the roughDMoore is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by hockeyguy4u
...still nobody has as voiced an opinion as to my original question, of whether or not to get a new steering wheels with paddles, especially in regards to my driving patterns...
Hard to answer - how will having paddles affect your driving? Only you can answer that. My suggestion would be to grab a ride in a paddle car. Con your dealer into a test ride, or show up at a local PCA meeting and ask around until you find someone with a paddle car. I'm sure someone would be more than happy to let you take a test drive.

DMoore
'11 GTS
'10 Panamera 4S

Old 07-17-2011, 08:31 PM
Dr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by hockeyguy4u
I think you answered your own question. You tend to use the shift lever in manual. How would paddles change that?

With both of my PDK-equipped cars, the first thing I did was to replace the button wheel with a paddle wheel. Much more intuitive, the steering wheel looks better to me, and is a bit thicker. Also the same configuration as my Audi, so it's less confusing for this old guy.

Only one thing to remember - right for up, left for down - no matter which car I'm in.

The old confusing button thing:

The new and improved paddle version:

Old 07-17-2011, 08:58 PM
Plp39503 has a spectacular aura aboutPlp39503 has a spectacular aura about
I drive in auto mode, and override manual mostly to downshift when setting up for a pass...every once in a while I'll have days when I decide to drive manual just for kicks. Change to Sport mode on highways and toll roads.

Tried using the shifter for a while, but after PSDS I prefer to drive with both hands on the wheel, so why not use the buttons at that point.

Wish there was an OEM paddle wheel that was also multi-function...I find myself liking the m/f for phone use.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:39 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I had the buttons , prefer the paddles , and I do use the lever especially if shifting 1st to 2nd making a turn off a stop sign in slow driving . Wheher paddles or buttons a turning steering wheel is moving whereas the lever is stationary and i find that shift easier for those times.

I rarely if ever use auto mode . I can't stand it.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:20 PM
PKing Fast has a spectacular aura aboutPKing Fast has a spectacular aura aboutPKing Fast has a spectacular aura about
----

Last edited by PKing Fast; 10-09-2020 at 08:33 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:14 AM
911 S is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by PKing Fast
Totally hijacked! You should add a poll!

I use the lever. It's bad enough that my left foot isn't resting on a clutch, so at least my right hand can be where it should be - feels a tad more involved I guess?

I've got the multi function with buttons, but even if I had the paddles I'd still be using the lever. The thing I like about the button is that you can drive single handed and upshift/downshift without having to move your hands at all.
Same here.. and i mainly drive the car in manual mode..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Question for PDK owners...