997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Buying Advice 2008 c4S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 05:49 PM
Ginza Man is infamous around these parts
Of course 69K isn't going to get me anywhere. I have said, I would have to wait and save to buy a faster car. There is no doubt 911 is a beautiful car....esp when you watch the 911 commercial. I guess it's a good thing these cars don't depreciate like some other brands. This is another reason to buy a Porsche. I would have to wait and drive TT, GT3 and see. So I will have to be little bit more patient.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:19 PM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DoninDEN
I'm not a financial planner, but IMHO: That answer is a function of net worth in investments (only discretionary real estate should be included and they are only viewed as a source of cash net of costs), your income, not gross but net of federal, state and property taxes and fixed charges such as mortgage utilities, heath insurance, cable, etc. (gross income is misleading), as well as the stability of your income stream, the term until retirement and your target nest egg at retirement.

I'm in oil and gas and after the crash in the industry in the 1980's, there was a bumper sticker that read: "Dear God, Please Let There Be Another Oil Boom, I Promise I Won't **** It All Away This Time"

If you are new to the income, don't underestimate the fragility of good fortune.
OK, my 07 911 Targa 4S arrived today and I completely reject my comments last night. The car is so taught, fast and fun, that I think as long as you aren't putting yourself in the poorhouse, you should go for it. I got caught in a torrential down pour on the highway and the 4 wheel drive handled beautifully. I can really feel the difference with the S as well. So don't **** it all away, just enough to get your 911!

Old 07-26-2011, 09:53 PM
lol at DoninDen. I was little hurt after you said those comment. May be I should think twice about buying anything and be humble with my new X3. I have been thinking all day about it.

So how much is enough saving to buy anything good? In this case, Porsche. It's all relative, some people think 1 million should be enough to retire but others think 10 millions is a must. I think person who wants 10 millions in their saving acct would never enjoy what this life has to offer. How much is enough? To me, it's never enough...the more you save the more you want to save to attain certain goal. I would feel sorry for people who just save and never live a decent life by going out there and learn how to spend money. I think all the people who comes to forum would have to agree that they are all passionate about cars and want to know more about it. I can spend literally all day looking at youtube watching porsche and other exotics. Some people just don't care and numb about what it means to truly live. I think living a balanced and healthy life is every one's goal. If you have enough to pull the trigger, you should. In my case, I have enough to do it....just find a right one to pull. Questions is when and what is best for me. I believe we are in depression. If anybody here who is good enough to buy a car like 911...you are good enough to survive through ever harsher economy. Be a Survivor!!!

BTW: I have a employee who works for me for very little money but he rich and have retired....wears same clothes and shoes every single day and drive dirty and old suv... no joke. lol

DoninDen: Put your pic. Targa is a so beautiful car......it's a piece of art.

Last edited by Ginza Man; 07-26-2011 at 10:48 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:08 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
OK, my 07 911 Targa 4S arrived today and I completely reject my comments last night. The car is so taught, fast and fun, that I think as long as you aren't putting yourself in the poorhouse, you should go for it. I got caught in a torrential down pour on the highway and the 4 wheel drive handled beautifully. I can really feel the difference with the S as well. So don't **** it all away, just enough to get your 911!
That's great. We need a new thread with your comments and pixs of the new ride.

All the best.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:20 AM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Ginza Man
lol at DoninDen. I was little hurt after you said those comment. May be I should think twice about buying anything and be humble with my new X3. I have been thinking all day about it.

So how much is enough saving to buy anything good? In this case, Porsche. It's all relative, some people think 1 million should be enough to retire but others think 10 millions is a must. I think person who wants 10 millions in their saving acct would never enjoy what this life has to offer. How much is enough? To me, it's never enough...the more you save the more you want to save to attain certain goal. I would feel sorry for people who just save and never live a decent life by going out there and learn how to spend money. I think all the people who comes to forum would have to agree that they are all passionate about cars and want to know more about it. I can spend literally all day looking at youtube watching porsche and other exotics. Some people just don't care and numb about what it means to truly live. I think living a balanced and healthy life is every one's goal. If you have enough to pull the trigger, you should. In my case, I have enough to do it....just find a right one to pull. Questions is when and what is best for me. I believe we are in depression. If anybody here who is good enough to buy a car like 911...you are good enough to survive through ever harsher economy. Be a Survivor!!!

BTW: I have a employee who works for me for very little money but he rich and have retired....wears same clothes and shoes every single day and drive dirty and old suv... no joke. lol

DoninDen: Put your pic. Targa is a so beautiful car......it's a piece of art.
I apologize. Sorry about that! Definately get the car, balance fun and work! Here is a picture of my new car sitting in my office garage. I had to run a meeting, sure was nice to see her sitting there!

Attached Images  
Old 07-27-2011, 09:52 AM
henrysko is infamous around these partshenrysko is infamous around these parts
After reading this thread I fully agree.

We all have only one life while here and it will pass by quickly if you don't learn to enjoy all it offers.

To Doninden...Congrats!

Old 07-27-2011, 11:05 AM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !

My wife works at a bank and she tells me this all the time, you can't tell who has or has no money. This old man that comes in all the time in a beat-up pickup truck, dress really down but has 10 of millions in his account. And vice versa, old guy in all brand name clothing, brand new BMW, has a couple of hundred in his account and complains about overdraft fees.

My opinion, you live life to the fullest w/o stressing yourself out financially. The old man that has 10's of millions, you are going to die soon, you can't bury all that money with you. I hope you have more than just that beat-up pickup truck in your garage.

DoinDen: Great targa, beautiful looking car, maybe I'll see you driving around.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:11 PM
steph280 has a spectacular aura aboutsteph280 has a spectacular aura about
Having couple hundred in the bank doesn't necessarily mean the old man is poor. He may have 10 million working for him in stock/bonds, or in a foreign CD with 8% return compared to our lousy 1.5%. It's all about being smart with your money. Having $10mil sitting in a bank is a waste.

Nice Targa Don!!

Old 07-27-2011, 12:26 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by steph280
Having couple hundred in the bank doesn't necessarily mean the old man is poor. He may have 10 million working for him in stock/bonds, or in a foreign CD with 8% return compared to our lousy 1.5%. It's all about being smart with your money. Having $10mil sitting in a bank is a waste.

Nice Targa Don!!
I agree, but highly doubt he has any money besides what he has in the bank, people with 10 mil in stock/bonds or any other investment will have a couple of hundreds and overdrafts every month. 10 million in the bank is safe but not the best investment, I agree.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:28 PM
That Red Targa is so lovely...we need more pics ASAP. I am going to Ebay and try to find one for myself.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:32 AM
That Red Targa is so lovely...we need more pics ASAP. I am going to Ebay and try to find one for myself.

Thanks! Here is one I took this morning when I got to work. A little blurry, but she looks good. There were more dings on her than the seller described and I am smelling some oil and I don't know i that is normal. I had the local Porsche Dealer do a PPI and they didn't say anything.

Is an engine smell normal in a 911? It's pretty pronounced. I read the posts about what Porsche coats the engine with, but the car has 36,000 and is 6 years old.

Also when I am driving the oil pressure is peg at the top at 5 and at idle it drops to 3.5. Is that a normal operating range?

Fun as hell to drive. Ginza Man get one, they are amazing!

Attached Images  
Old 07-28-2011, 12:38 PM
This one is not as blurry. You can see the head light of a 2011 Carerra just above my car and there is a GT3 that parks in the garage as well! How do I post full sized images as opposed to thumbnails?

Attached Images  
Old 07-28-2011, 01:53 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
When you finally posted photos of your car, I was surprised that up to that point (I think) you had only referred to it as a C4S, and never mentioned it was a Targa 4S (T4S). Wonderful car IMO, as I had one for a couple of years. I only changed back to a cab because the weather is so fantastic here in So Cal. Good luck with your car.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:49 PM
I love it. Man is it fast! Any thoughts on the oil smell?

Old 07-28-2011, 02:55 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I love it. Man is it fast! Any thoughts on the oil smell?
Don -

There have been many threads on the oil smell . a quick inspection might be to look at both tailpipes and see if the left side is darker than the right . also some newspapers under the rear of the car to check if anything is leaking.
This way when you go to the dealership you may go with some things to show them.

The Cosmoline is a burned rubber smell .. not oil . Different scent.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Buying Advice 2008 c4S