997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Buying Advice 2008 c4S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 03:07 PM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by yrralis1
Don -

There have been many threads on the oil smell . a quick inspection might be to look at both tailpipes and see if the left side is darker than the right . also some newspapers under the rear of the car to check if anything is leaking.
This way when you go to the dealership you may go with some things to show them.

The Cosmoline is a burned rubber smell .. not oil . Different scent.
Will do! Thanks! What does the left tail pipe being darker thanthe right tailpipe indicate?

Old 07-28-2011, 09:22 PM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by yrralis1
Don -

There have been many threads on the oil smell . a quick inspection might be to look at both tailpipes and see if the left side is darker than the right . also some newspapers under the rear of the car to check if anything is leaking.
This way when you go to the dealership you may go with some things to show them.

The Cosmoline is a burned rubber smell .. not oil . Different scent.
Both tailpipes look the same. I don't see any leaks. All seems ok.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:19 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DoninDEN
Both tailpipes look the same. I don't see any leaks. All seems ok.
That's a good sign . At least you see no visible leaks but nonetheless the smell ought to be checked .

Old 07-29-2011, 04:54 PM
Ginza Man is infamous around these parts
I am looking at this car. Let me know what you guys think. I hope it's ok to put this link. Please let me know if this is against the rule on this forum. I called a sale rep and asked about is PPI is doable w/ local Porsche dealer (momemtum). Car looks nice from what I see on the picture. I wish I can get some background info...such as maintenance record. It would be nice if some member on this forum and literally go up and and test drive it. I don't trust car fax.... Does anybody have anything to add about this company? They seem reputable and sells tons of cars on Ebay. Any input would be appreciated.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...t_22168wt_1161

Old 07-29-2011, 06:29 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Ginza Man
I am looking at this car. Let me know what you guys think. I hope it's ok to put this link. Please let me know if this is against the rule on this forum. I called a sale rep and asked about is PPI is doable w/ local Porsche dealer (momemtum). Car looks nice from what I see on the picture. I wish I can get some background info...such as maintenance record. It would be nice if some member on this forum and literally go up and and test drive it. I don't trust car fax.... Does anybody have anything to add about this company? They seem reputable and sells tons of cars on Ebay. Any input would be appreciated.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.c0.m619&item= 190557899237&viewitem=&category=10156#ht_22168wt_1 161
Good luck on the car .

If it was me .. and I had to travel out of state to buy a 6 year old car with 40K miles .. I'd compare it to other cars .

In my opinion .. This is what I'd buy and I'd get it brand new (see below ..comes with 4 year 50K , free mainteance).
I love porsches .. not not enough to buy an older car with doubt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEvpnKRLDO4

Old 07-29-2011, 06:51 PM
Thx for your input. I got enough BMW as you can see.... how about this one?

http://inventory.foreigncarsitalia.c...C29977S792140/

Old 07-29-2011, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by Ginza Man
Thx for your input. I got enough BMW as you can see.... how about this one?

http://inventory.foreigncarsitalia.c...C29977S792140/

You just added $34,000 to the price of the other car and asked about a completely different model .. a Gt3.

Keep in mind that the gt3 market is very different . It's generally a track car and with that in mind inspections on a used car are crucial. The carfax says two owners and auctioned in multiple states .

84K buys a heck of a car . It can buy a nearly new 997S specd similar to the first car you placed on the list . Or if a Gt3 is "the one " why not look at the 2010 CPO cars priced just a tad above this ? Or of 84K is the limit .. why not at least get a Gt3 with lower miles and explore several cars to find one which was well cared for ?

Lastly .. if you are not sure .. why not just take time to really be sure ?

Old 07-29-2011, 07:18 PM
You are absolutely right on with GT3. It's really hard to consider buying a used one. It's most likely tracked and abused in some way. I am going to test drive a 2007 911 s Slate Grey tomorrow. It's 25k miles and 67k with CPO. I will add my experience afterwards. I am pretty open to all 911S. I hate to spend more than 65K since anything above will be crushed with depreciation. So I am trying to be smart about the money. Hope you can understand... Keep you posted.

Thx

Old 07-29-2011, 09:30 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Wow, $85K with 20K miles, prices really has gone up across the board, last year when I was searching for mine, GT3's were mid 70's to low 80's with less than 10K, some of the were practically brand new with 5 to 6K miles.

$65K can get you into a low mileage 07' C2/4S with CPO. Good luck.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:29 PM
I think that's right about price going up. I think it has some correlation w/ gold prices and stock mkt. GT3 price isn't coming down much at all... may be due to scarcity. Italian exotics aren't any different either. It's crazy.....economy is crumbling yet price isn't.

This is the car I will be driving tomorrow.

Old 07-30-2011, 01:00 PM
Just got back from test driving. This Porsche dealer was super busy... I had to wait 45 mins to see any sales rep. And there was a line of people looking at this car. I feel it's likely going to be sold in few days, if not today. Car runs beautifully. I esp like the sport exhaust button and sport seat. One thing I hate the most was color and when top is up. I wasn't feeling it's going to be my car as soon as I seen the car. Wasn't giving me any type of adrenaline going. Only thing that I was falling for was black GT3 and GT3RS (Wh/Red). May be I got spoiled. I guess I have to keep looking. I found this one just now.... let me know if this is a good buy.

GT3 aero kit but no Sport Chrono... Does this help?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CARRE...ht_2962wt_1161

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ht_8809wt_1161

Thx

Last edited by Ginza Man; 07-30-2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:21 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Option two, grey is a bit different than all the black cars. It's nicely optioned, lower miles, and more warranty.

Old 07-30-2011, 01:30 PM
henrysko is infamous around these partshenrysko is infamous around these parts
+1 on #2. Looks like a beautiful car from the pics.

Best of luck on your search.

Old 07-31-2011, 06:38 PM
I drove a 2001 911 Turbo today. Though I should share my experience. This is 4th car I drove and I wasn't too happy about the car. Car was probably the fastest I drove and also the least exciting. Is it just on this car or all the turbo engine just muted? I can barely hear the engine running yet I was already doing 125. There was a lot of pull but for the price, I would just buy a reg 997 instead. This drive narrowed my option on turbo. I probably won't enjoy the TT as well....as you can buy GT3 for that money. So I am still searching for the right one. This search of right used 911S isn't easier than I thought. I can see why local Porsche dealer is so busy. I think people would simply give up and go to dealer and get a new one. It's a lot of headache looking and there just isn't that many locally for a quick test drive. Also used 911 doesn't lose much depreciation.

This was the first car I test drove... I think it looks great. Only down side I found was Pirelli which was noisy. No GT3 look. Alignment was slightly off. I am seriously thinking about getting this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/911-C...t_11863wt_1166

Old 07-31-2011, 06:43 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
[quote=Ginza Man;3274287]Also used 911 doesn't lose much depreciation.

/quote]
This has never been my experience. Keep in mind that dealer prices are usually much higher than market, with plenty of room for negotiation. To know what the dealer likely paid for the car, check trade-in value on KBB.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Buying Advice 2008 c4S