997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Buying Advice 2008 c4S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 11:12 PM
Ginza Man is infamous around these parts
How about 997.1 vs 997.2? I did a search on this forum but there isn't much info. I would like to know for those who drove both can tell me if 997.2 is worth the wait. It has 30 hp on same displacement. My main questions is if 997.2 sound more raw, similar to GT3. 997.1 has some high pitch sound after 5.5k rpm and I want more of it. If it's worth the wait of 2009 911S, I think I can wait for it. There is difference of 15k on 2008 and 2009. May be waiting a year wouldn't be too bad. Is it?

Old 08-01-2011, 10:33 AM
stack24 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Ginza Man
How about 997.1 vs 997.2? I did a search on this forum but there isn't much info. I would like to know for those who drove both can tell me if 997.2 is worth the wait. It has 30 hp on same displacement. My main questions is if 997.2 sound more raw, similar to GT3. 997.1 has some high pitch sound after 5.5k rpm and I want more of it. If it's worth the wait of 2009 911S, I think I can wait for it. There is difference of 15k on 2008 and 2009. May be waiting a year wouldn't be too bad. Is it?
Speaking from experience since I am in the same boat as you. I am waiting a bit longer till end of the year and probably going to pick up a .2 because of what I have been reading on here.

I pulled out of a deal on the day of making it because I started doing the numbers. It was a 2007 and had everything I was looking for but didn't finish it after looking and see how expensive used cars are right now as well as the introduction of the 991 coming. I mean I had my loan and check read to go, that's how close I was to getting my dream car.

With that I knew that the .2 would probably drop enough in price and I could find something I want with warranty still left and a lot of the new features such as Bluetooth, ipod, better gas mileage, and more HP.

From what I have read on the board the 997.2 is a bit more tame than the .1 in terms of being raw. I hear that the .2 doesn't have the same raw exhaust & engine tones as the .1 so in some ways it's a bit of a trade off. Of course I think that can all be fixed with an aftermarket exhaust or even a PSE.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:45 PM
Thx for sharing stack24.

I did some more research and find 997.2 to be the one that is perfect. 0-60 is 4.0 and 12.4 qtr miles (PDK) is plenty impressive number. After than GT3 isn't that much of difference at all. Like you said, if the engine is too muted, I will get a after mkt version of it. Most important thing for me is, possibility of IMS failure is gone. That is always in back of my mind. I guess waiting for 6 month wouldn't hurt. In the mean time, I will invest in Ag, Au.

: )

Old 08-01-2011, 01:03 PM
Thx for sharing stack24.

I did some more research and find 997.2 to be the one that is perfect. 0-60 is 4.0 and 12.4 qtr miles (PDK) is plenty impressive number. After than GT3 isn't that much of difference at all. Like you said, if the engine is too muted, I will get a after mkt version of it. Most important thing for me is, possibility of IMS failure is gone. That is always in back of my mind. I guess waiting for 6 month wouldn't hurt. In the mean time, I will invest in Ag, Au.

: )
I think it's a good choice all the way around. Thanks to a lot of help on the board. And mainly a ton of going back and for with Larry who is a staple on here apparently, he made me see a lot of things. I was caught up in the moment of finally finding the type of car I wanted.

To me the Porsche has always been a goal and something I worked so hard to get to. I got to that point and wanted to jump the bones on any one that I saw. But I needed to remember that all that hard work has to be paid off with the best possible car for my money. I am going out of the county in September all the way till October so that will force me to wait until I get back and start searching again when the 991 is out.

As far as Ag, and Au. I'm right there with you. Thanks to my good friend who is a hedge fund manager and deals huge in commodities I have been doing investing in those for a good 3 years and it has helped me a lot I owe him big time lol.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:22 PM
Yeah... you are the smart one taking advise from right people. I have been spreading words to save these people I know from devaluation of dollar and I have to say almost everybody is totally oblivious to what's going on. It's going to be a sad day that is coming. I am still buying 997 irregardless.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:28 PM
Yeah... you are the smart one taking advise from right people. I have been spreading words to save these people I know from devaluation of dollar and I have to say almost everybody is totally oblivious to what's going on. It's going to be a sad day that is coming. I am still buying 997 irregardless.
Yup, regardless of my investments and how much more I push my work and consulting company. I will have the 997 after it's all said and done. I want to save and build for my future which I have since I am still young, but at the same time I want to enjoy the rewards of working so hard and reaching a goal I have always wanted no matter how materialistic it is to some people.

To me it's more than an object...it's just unexplainable.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:45 PM
To me, money is just a paper unless it's used. You just have to use it intelligently. My justification other than getting myself a rewarded for working my butt off. I need a car that can perform in a fast emergency maneuvering just in case a big rock falls down from the hill. It's for safety precaution.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:11 PM
To me, money is just a paper unless it's used. You just have to use it intelligently. My justification other than getting myself a rewarded for working my butt off. I need a car that can perform in a fast emergency maneuvering just in case a big rock falls down from the hill. It's for safety precaution.
Never thought of it that way. Time to use that line on the wife and see what she says...(Event thought she likes the car, she wanted me to wait a bit as well)

Old 08-03-2011, 01:11 AM
So I have narrowed down to 2 cars. 2008 C4S 20k and 2009 C2S 30k. I have very important question: Has anybody here heard anything about Sport Trends Auto dealer? It's located in S. California. I saw some bad yelp review on them. They sell a lot Porsche. I have ordered an ebay inspection on this car already. Sports Trend Auto 5901 Sepulveda Blvd Sherman Oaks CA 91411

Thx for all you help!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/09-PO...#ht_9822wt_722

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...2&aff=national

Old 08-03-2011, 03:02 PM
Max77 has a spectacular aura aboutMax77 has a spectacular aura about
So I have narrowed down to 2 cars. 2008 C4S 20k and 2009 C2S 30k. I have very important question: Has anybody here heard anything about Sport Trends Auto dealer? It's located in S. California. I saw some bad yelp review on them. They sell a lot Porsche. I have ordered an ebay inspection on this car already. Sports Trend Auto 5901 Sepulveda Blvd Sherman Oaks CA 91411

Thx for all you help!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/09-PORSCHE-CARRERA-S-/360382939649?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item53e87f4201 #ht_9822wt_722

The cars.com ad lists PDK transmission. The photo shows:

That looks more like a stick than PDK to me.

It's also listed as having AWD/4WD. Interesting for a car that isn't a 4 or 4S.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:41 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
When I checked, the Cars.com ad lists 6 speed manual, but then says PDK in the "Seller's notes" section for some reason. I didn't see any reference to AWD or 4WD in the ad until I expanded the features. I think these dealers often repeat information and miss some of the edits needed for each vehicle they're selling.
I know nothing about Sport Trends except that they had Porsches for sale when I was looking 2 years ago. They are likely similar to many other small independent dealers that buy higher mileage cars at auction and re-sell them.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:44 PM
Yeah I read that too. This company may be too small. May be 2 guys running it or something. Is this a good price? I am trying to gauge on this company's reputation. But I did some local Porsche dealer and it's not rated so highly either. It's hard to please customers especially if you are selling used luxury goods. I suppose it's not too bad after I get this inspection done.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:01 PM
At the end of it all you are going to have to do your due diligence. If you get a PPI done and DME check then you can be feel a bit better about the deal.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:07 PM
911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute
That car looks pretty stripped down for an 'S'. I don't see dynamic driving lights, seat heaters, any mention of Ipod or audio options/XM or bluetooth and without the PDK ($4K) option it seems priced too high. Also 'missing' Sports Chrono, multifunction steering wheel and nicer seats.

The mileage is high as well. If I learned one thing about P cars - it's that mileage is a HUGE factor in determining resale value

Remember a decently equipped 'S' listed for about $103K when new. Two years ago (Aug 2009) I was getting emails offering brand a new C2S with PDK and a $103 MSRP for $81K. We can't go back to those 1.9% finance or $10K off deals but just wanted to mention it for reference...

Good luck whatever you decide.

Thx for all you help!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/09-PO...#ht_9822wt_722

Old 08-03-2011, 05:10 PM
I only did Ebay inspection. Isn't that enough? They don't do DME. It's under warranty...I am not too worried. As long as car wasn't in some kind of accident, drive straight, no noise it will be fine. This doesn't have PASM, NAV, Leather but I am fine without it. It's 385HP I really care about.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Buying Advice 2008 c4S