997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Buying Advice 2008 c4S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 11:05 PM
Ginza Man is infamous around these parts
Buying Advice 2008 c4S

Hi All,

I have been searching for right car for last few months and I think I found one. As I learned 997.2 S is def a car to get but my budget is around 60's I see there is nothing around that price for 911S 2009. So I am looking at 2008 C4S Bk/Grey with 19k, Turbo wheel, Nav, Bose, Heated seat, Sport Chrono with 1 more year factor warranty left to go. Priced 69K. Is this fair market price for it? I plan to keep it for at least 3 years until 991 price comes down a little.

My main concern is that how does people who own C4S which is all wheel drive compare to C2S as far as drive-ability, high-speed cornering, and fun factor ? I personally like the wider rear and fact that I can drive fast in corners with confidence. I previously owned Audi Quattro for many years and I miss going side ways... I guess I am type of driver who likes drifting than trying to beat the clock on the track.

Oh BTW...dealer won't let anybody drive the car after sitting in the lot for 75 days. ; )

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by Ginza Man; 07-20-2011 at 11:15 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:47 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
you can't test drive a car you may spend 69K on?

let me guess... a PPI out?

Old 07-21-2011, 11:51 AM
Max77 has a spectacular aura aboutMax77 has a spectacular aura about
I would recommend driving it yourself as we all have different opinions. I owned a Cayman for 2.5 years, driven a few C2s and now have owned a C4S for about a month. They all have their own handling characteristics and there will be as many opinions on this as there will be replies. The C4 will understeer a little more than a C2, but at the same time feels more planted in the corners to me. Some consider that a bad thing, some consider it a good thing. Of course this will vary based on driver experience, daily driving vs track, etc. Fun factor is entirely up to the driver, I had fun taking corners at high speed in my Cayman S, but there is an entirely different fun factor in the C4S. And living in Chicago, I'm looking forward to even more fun in the winter with some great tires.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:04 PM
steph280 has a spectacular aura aboutsteph280 has a spectacular aura about
I achieve my fun factor just getting inside the cabin of my Porsche.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:08 PM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
Is this car located at a Porsche dealership?

Originally Posted by Ginza Man
Oh BTW...dealer won't let anybody drive the car after sitting in the lot for 75 days. ; )

Old 07-21-2011, 06:53 PM
This car was at BMW dealer for long time and they auctioned it off about a week ago. Now local private dealer has it and he is going to let me drive it this Monday. After looking at JoeShark's Cab, I ask myself why I am buying regular a car. After coming from Boxster, I am surely going to miss convertible. How do I get PPI? Do I just ask this dealer if I can take it to Porsche dealer for a check up? I am not sure how this would normally work. How much does PPI costs?

Thx for the input!

Old 07-21-2011, 07:23 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
This car was at BMW dealer for long time and they auctioned it off about a week ago. Now local private dealer has it and he is going to let me drive it this Monday. After looking at JoeShark's Cab, I ask myself why I am buying regular a car. After coming from Boxster, I am surely going to miss convertible. How do I get PPI? Do I just ask this dealer if I can take it to Porsche dealer for a check up? I am not sure how this would normally work. How much does PPI costs?

Thx for the input!
It depends, they might let you drive it to a Porsche dealer or they might drive it there themselves but will give you the PPI results. PPI price ranges from $200 to $300. After the PPI, I would call the dealer and talk to the mechanic regarding the car. Asked them if they would buy it if they were in the market. I had a nice 15 minute conversation with the mechanic that did my PPI. I felt a lot better after speaking with him.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:35 PM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
congrats on your new upgrade, let me know the difference all around from a boxster to a carrera when you finally purchase it.... GL

Old 07-21-2011, 08:13 PM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
To the OP, Ynot has got you answered on the PPI. Really a must and be sure the PPI includes a DME scan (do a search on these forums if you need an answer on that one).

Thanks of your compliments on my cab. I would say if the car is a weekend toy, Cab is the way to go especially if you are coming from a Boxster. Nothing beats driving with the top down and wind all around. However, if this would have been my only car, I would have gone with a coupe. Also if you plan on tracking your car, gotta go hardtop. To each their own however.

Good luck in whatever decision you make.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:26 PM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
I just paid $170 for a PPI today.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:33 PM
ssc4s is infamous around these partsssc4s is infamous around these parts
I paid $350 for a ppi not too long ago. This was after being quoted $250..didn't have it in me that day to argue.

Old 07-22-2011, 05:54 AM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DoninDEN
I should elaborate on the price I paid. The local dealership where the car was being sold quoted me $260. The used car car dealer that was selling the car had a discount rate with one of the service advisers of $170. If you are buying a from a dealer ask if they can get you a better rate. I think this guy has a lower rate because he runs cars he is buying for his used car dealership through the Porsche dealer on a regular basis.

Pay attention to any leaks by the rear main seal. I looked at the over revs from the DME and posted all of that in a topic about the DME over revs. A lot of people said it was very serious, I took it as not excessive; I hope I'm right! Please post your DME over rev results.

Consider an extended warranty. A number of service places I spoke to that were not selling the plan, but had to deal with plans on the cars they work on said go with a bumper to bumper to save from fighting about what is covered and what is not. Depending on the state you are in, believe I or not, Costco is offering extended warranties on Porsches.

That's about what I learned. I wish us both good luck and lots of fun!

Old 07-22-2011, 08:19 AM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DoninDEN
I was quoted about $200 but paid $0, the dealer I brought it from decided to pay for it after I sent the deposit w/o looking at the car. But I did have them send me a letter stating that I can get my deposit back regardless of the PPI results. They said no problem as they have a 30 day money back guarantee, if I don't like the car I can spend it back at my expense. The sales guy I worked with said, majority of their cars are sold out of state.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:11 PM
Thx all for the PPI info. I will call Henessy Porsche and get an estimate.

Going back to how much this car is worth. This small dealer bought it thru auction after BMW had it for over 75 days in the lot. It's on sale for 69k. What do you think owner paid for the car from the auction? I am trying to find out how much room there is to negotiate. I am guessing around low 60k but I really have no idea. What would be a good offering price?

Thx

Old 07-22-2011, 08:41 PM
stack24 is infamous around these parts
Thx all for the PPI info. I will call Henessy Porsche and get an estimate.

Going back to how much this car is worth. This small dealer bought it thru auction after BMW had it for over 75 days in the lot. It's on sale for 69k. What do you think owner paid for the car from the auction? I am trying to find out how much room there is to negotiate. I am guessing around low 60k but I really have no idea. What would be a good offering price?

Thx
Based on Auction prices that recently sold here is the info. Of course I can't see what options that these unit's had but they are C4S. I would guess they must have got it somewhere in the mid 60's unless they got a hell of a deal.

Code:
06/16/11	RIVRSIDE	Regular	$50,000	57,989	Below	RED	
06/22/11	ATLANTA	Regular	$60,400	26,720	Avg	        BLACK	
06/24/11	PA	        Regular	$66,000	13,203	Avg	        BLACK	
07/07/11	PA	        Regular	$65,000	24,808	Avg	        BLACK	
07/14/11	RIVRSIDE	Lease 	$71,500	6,193	        Above	SILVER		
07/21/11	PA	        Regular	$67,000	25,595	Avg	        GREY

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Buying Advice 2008 c4S