997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

DME over revs Ranges 3, 4 and 5 reported. Is it OK?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 12:47 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DoninDEN
I'm having a 997 Targa 4S checked out at a dealer. Everything looks ok, but the DME came back with what appears to be a lot of over revs:

Range 1: 5,487
Range 2: 1,953
Range 3: 525
Range 4: 40
Range 5: 1
Range 6: 0

As the car redlines at 7,000 and the tach is buried at 8,000, is this a concern? How would you interpret these reading toward how the car has been driven?
Originally Posted by crazycarlitos
35.2 avg is high..

looking at the DME, it appears the car has been driven hard and fast..

i would keep looking.

2cents.
he asked a simple question.. and was given a simple answer.

the OP never specified the kind of deal he was working on, where he was buying at from, etc, in the original l post. Obviously, u can't base ur purchase purely on DME scan..

but given two Pcars with same options and price.. both in identical condition except one has over-revs and one doesn't.. i would def pick the one without the over revs.. (BTW, i had a DME ran b4 i bought mine and made sure it was a CPO)

and there is nothing wrong with wanting a 'clean' engine for me to over-rev myself..
that's prob why i would prob never buy northvan's car, even if its running great and i know he took care of it

OP, congrats on a beauty of a Targa !
but do ur homework on the warranty.. IMO after-market warrany = PITA

Also, it doesn't matter how u enjoy ur Pcar.. as long as u enjoy it.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:57 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by crazycarlitos
and there is nothing wrong with wanting a 'clean' engine for me to over-rev myself..
that's prob why i would prob never buy northvan's car, even if its running great and i know he took care of it
I know someone that can wipe the DME and replace it with whatever you want to see. Besides it might be finding a new home in the fall, and it has a really good third party warranty! I can meet you in Oregon and you can take it for a rip around the track before you buy it!

Old 07-25-2011, 01:10 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Can anyone prove that an engine with significant over revs has a higher failure rate? No.

Can anyone prove that a engine with no over revs will be trouble free? No.

Are significant over revs an indication of "abuse?" It depends on how you define "abuse."

Are significant over revs an indication that other parts of the vehicle have been put under higher stress or use? Potentially.

Are significant over revs a reason for PCNA to deny warranty or refuse CPO status? Yes.

I think this thread boils down to philosophy. There are many enthusiasts that believe that the 911 is an extremely durable car - and over revs are not a good indicator of "abuse" or over use. That being said - a PPI DME scan is not a very helpful measure of long term longevity of the engine.

There are many enthusiasts who believe given a choice between two similar vehicles that a car with few over revs detected is a better value than one with many. With so many vehicles on the market, a little patience will give a buyer an opportunity to find a "better" choice.

This is a fundamental difference in opinion - I know from personal experience that auto brokers have very different opinions about what is the "best" choice. Ultimately, the logical reasoning behind each of our decisions may seem a little illogical to others...but we are entitled to share our opinions when someone asks for them.

As this argument will never see a conclusion, I'm planning on closing the thread this evening. If anyone else has something constructive to post, please do so.

bob

Old 07-25-2011, 01:13 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bbywu
Can anyone prove that an engine with significant over revs has a higher failure rate? No.

Are significant over revs an indication of "abuse?" It depends on how you define "abuse."

Are significant over revs an indication that other parts of the vehicle have been put under higher stress or use? Potentially.

Are significant over revs a reason for PCNA to deny warranty or refuse CPO status? Yes.

I think this thread boils down to philosophy. There are many enthusiasts that believe that the 911 is an extremely durable car - and over revs are not a good indicator of "abuse" or over use. That being said - a PPI DME scan is not a very helpful measure of long term longevity of the engine.

There are many enthusiasts who believe given a choice between two similar vehicles that a car with few over revs detected is a better value than one with many. With so many vehicles on the market, a little patience will give a buyer an opportunity to find a "better" choice.

This is a fundamental difference in opinion - I know from personal experience that auto brokers have very different opinions about what is the "best" choice. Ultimately, the logical reasoning behind each of our decisions may seem a little illogical to others...but we are entitled to share our opinions when someone asks for them.

As this argument will never see a conclusion, I'm planning on closing the thread this evening. If anyone else has something constructive to post, please do so.

bob
Please close it...let's move on to something meaningful like TPMS accuracy.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:32 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !

bob
Thanks for the summation Bob, but does closing it really make a difference at this point? I think closing it is only needed if the BS part of the discussion continues. I have gone back to being a sleeping bear on this one, provoked and I will take a swipe or two of my own, left alone, it will be business as usual for me.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:44 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
We'll, the opinions seem to have set anchor and the thread seems to be swirling. We'll see.

b

Old 07-25-2011, 01:58 PM
We'll, the opinions seem to have set anchor and the thread seems to be swirling. We'll see.

b
I promise to sort of try to behave and not post stuff that is deemed to be a personal attack and stay on topic as long as others play nice and stay on topic too and don't accuse me of being mean and telling me I abuse my car and make fun of my friends. Hopefully!

Old 07-25-2011, 02:35 PM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NorthVan
I promise to sort of try to behave and not post stuff that is deemed to be a personal attack and stay on topic as long as others play nice and stay on topic too and don't accuse me of being mean and telling me I abuse my car and make fun of my friends. Hopefully!

I know Ed, and if he says he will do something, he will. His word is ALL good!

Old 07-25-2011, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by jjc4scab
I know Ed, and if he says he will do something, he will. His word is ALL good!
With your endorsement on me Jim, I guess it will get shut down for sure!