997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

DME over revs Ranges 3, 4 and 5 reported. Is it OK?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 06:35 PM
jakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the rough
500 unknown miles???

My friend bought an 09 911 S coupe as a new car from the dealer that had 15 miles showing on the title but noticed at delivery it was showing 500 miles on the odometer.... He took delivery because it was such a good deal at the time but over the past 18 months it has been making him crazy not knowing how the car was driven over those 500 miles.... He didn't know about DME searches at the time and because the car ran perfectly it didn't seem to be a problem....
I know it's eating away at him but he doesn't want to open up a can of worms.
In this case... ignorance is bliss....

Old 07-21-2011, 08:10 PM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
Just don't let the Porsche dust cloud your vision. There are lots and lots of cars out there.
I would recommend buying a CPOed car or extended warranty on any of these cars.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:30 PM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
Thank you everyone for your replies. I've come to the conclusion that I will step up and buy the vehicle. Yes 35 mph is a high average. The negative interpretation could be ridden hard, the positive interpretation could be highway miles.

I am buying the car from a out of state non Porsche dealer and had the dealer in the same area perform a prepurchase inspection. The dealer feels it is a clean car and could not find any issues. I plan on pitting a warranty on it and enjoying the car.

The car has 1,037 hours and the high rev occured at roughly 500, 600 and lastly 800 hours. My thought is that the car has added an additional 25% more miles since the last high rev incident and still checks out ok.

The warranty period ended this December and had only three warranty issues, a deformed piece of body plastic on the front bumper area, an issue with the horn and a fuse. I would assume an owner who is looking at the expiration of the warranty would fix any problems before the warranty expires (just an assumption of reasonableness). No additional warranty work done, points in the direction that there was nothing wrong with the car. Even if the owner's plans were to dump it after the warranty, they would have fixed everything they could for free to make it sell for more. Assuming the warranty was not voided.

My thought on the PCNA warranty being voided, is a dealer will take as much warranty work as they can. As such they aren't going to flap their arms too much to point out things that might take incremental revenue from them.

I also spoke with my local dealer's service department. They said a short high rev incident can be a quick slip. He said he had never heard of a warranty being voided over this and was not concerned with the read out.

I do appreciate all the thoughts and comments and it did help me weigh my opinion. I tend to be thorough in my decisions, my money doesn't come easy and I always listen to other's opinions. Wish me luck! I hope I love the car and I plan to drive and meticulously baby her!

Last edited by DoninDEN; 07-21-2011 at 10:36 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:53 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Eeesh !!!

Old 07-21-2011, 11:19 PM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by yrralis1
Eeesh !!!
Is Eeesh a word?

Old 07-21-2011, 11:22 PM
Originally Posted by DoninDEN
Is Eeesh a word?
To answer my own question:

Eesh is a greek term from mythologists during the 10th century. It is a verbal illustration of distress or exclamation in a negative light.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:54 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I wish my DME looked like that. Most of the people on this forum are preserving their cars for the next owner. I would read to much into the DME scan, I would be more conserned with a car that has limited use. Buy it, drive it the way you want to, and sell it for what ever the next guy is willing to pay. Along the way you will have a lot more enjoyment out of your car then most of the people that spend their time telling people to run from a perfectly good car.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:57 AM
spiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud of
My assumptions here: The over rev is a reading of ignition clicks and there is one ignition click per revolution.
i thought it was 3 ignitions per revolution. (or am i reading your assumption wrong...?)

Originally Posted by NorthVan
I wish my DME looked like that. Most of the people on this forum are preserving their cars for the next owner. I would read to much into the DME scan, I would be more conserned with a car that has limited use. Buy it, drive it the way you want to, and sell it for what ever the next guy is willing to pay. Along the way you will have a lot more enjoyment out of your car then most of the people that spend their time telling people to run from a perfectly good car.
northvan, you and i will always agree on this issue due to obvious reasons. i would LOVE to see a DME compilation from all the "failed" engines that have been talked about, polled, mentioned here and on rennlist, etc, etc. i betcha there's far fewer overrevs than you think. these cars were made to be driven. hard. i have had 3 (well respected) indy shops telling me basically "eh, dont worry about the overrevs - car is still running great, right!?" and techs at 2 diff dealers saying "yes it could be a possible concern, but these engines are built solid and can spin up just fine". look - could mean problems? sure. does it definitely mean there will be a problem? absolutely NOT. i'm just saying - i think too many out there are drinking from the fear-of-overrevs koolaid. your bigger fears should be the a**hole who didnt change oil for 4 yrs, or the d-bag who raced off from every light when the engine was still cold, or the cheapskate who consistenly put in 87 octane. no DME can show you those yet they all have the potential to be much worse than simply having overrevs.

my .02.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:01 AM
Originally Posted by spiffyjiff
i thought it was 3 ignitions per revolution. (or am i reading your assumption wrong...?)

my .02.
Wow, if it is 3 ignition clicks per revolution, then my numbers are off. the amount of time would be 1/3 as much. Is it 3 per revolution?

That would make me feel 66% happier!

Thanks!

Old 07-22-2011, 08:55 AM
K997 is infamous around these partsK997 is infamous around these parts
Enjoy it in good health and have a blast, man. I'm sure the car is fine, these cars are built "ford" tough!

Old 07-22-2011, 09:19 AM
CarGuy21 is infamous around these partsCarGuy21 is infamous around these parts
I curious on the calculation and its meaning. My assumptions here: The over rev is a reading of ignition clicks and there is one ignition click per revolution.
On a 4 cycle engine there is one ignition event per cylinder every other rev. So on a 6 cylinder engine there are 3 ignition events per rev, not just one. So you would take the number of ignitions and divide by 3 to get the number of revs in the ranges of concern.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:27 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Wow, if it is 3 ignition clicks per revolution, then my numbers are off. the amount of time would be 1/3 as much. Is it 3 per revolution?

That would make me feel 66% happier!

Thanks!
Here's the way it works:

7,400 rpm = 123.33 rps = 370 ignitions per second (7400 / 60 x 3)
so if DME reading was 5487 ignitions then the overrev grand total time was 14.83 seconds (5487 / 370)
Unfortunately from the DME readings the hour of occurrence indicated just tells you the last time an over rev occurred. So you could have had 100 ignitions at hour 1 and 5387 ignitions at hour 1,000 - unlikely but the DME doesn't provide all the info.

Last edited by jhbrennan; 07-22-2011 at 09:47 AM.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:14 AM
saeyedoc is infamous around these partssaeyedoc is infamous around these parts
Isn't it highly improbable that there was 1 ignition in range 5, more likely an error?

Old 07-22-2011, 10:27 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by saeyedoc
Isn't it highly improbable that there was 1 ignition in range 5, more likely an error?
nope, most likely on a downshift that just touched in the zone on the way down.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:58 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NorthVan
nope, most likely on a downshift that just touched in the zone on the way down.
I've never understood how that could happen either - 1 ignition registers for a third of a revolution??

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DME over revs Ranges 3, 4 and 5 reported. Is it OK?