997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

DME over revs Ranges 3, 4 and 5 reported. Is it OK?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 11:12 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
I've never understood how that could happen either - 1 ignition registers for a third of a revolution??
Only hitting the zone for a split second, it is all drive by wire so it is accurate. Computer has a fairly easy job, just count...wait that is all they really do anyway.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:39 AM
steph280 has a spectacular aura aboutsteph280 has a spectacular aura about
This may sound like a dumb question, but I thought the throttle will cut off when you past the redline? Wouldn't that prevent overrev?

Old 07-22-2011, 12:08 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by steph280
This may sound like a dumb question, but I thought the throttle will cut off when you past the redline? Wouldn't that prevent overrev?
Not a level one, and the higher ones are on a down shift

Old 07-22-2011, 01:06 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NorthVan
Only hitting the zone for a split second, it is all drive by wire so it is accurate. Computer has a fairly easy job, just count...wait that is all they really do anyway.
Van - what about a situation where range 3 increments by 1 ignition and ranges 4 and 5 also by 1 ignition, all 3 ranges registered at the same hour - I've had this happen. You would think if it triggered 1 in range 5 then you would have more than 1 in ranges 4 and 3??

Old 07-22-2011, 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Van - what about a situation where range 3 increments by 1 ignition and ranges 4 and 5 also by 1 ignition, all 3 ranges registered at the same hour - I've had this happen. You would think if it triggered 1 in range 5 then you would have more than 1 in ranges 4 and 3??
yes, it looks like it only just hit up in that high range, and then dropped down. It would have added to the level 3 and 4 during that downshift. IMO it looks like one bad downshift (and a set of soiled underwear). The other overrevs are no big deal. BTW the overrev's stop counting at approx 65,000 in each level, so any after that are all unrecorded and freebees

Old 07-22-2011, 07:12 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
The way the over revs are probably counted, correct me if I'm wrong, is the computer just times the interval from one ignition to the next. If the time is short enough to be in the appropriate level (for the time between ignitions... the shorter the higher the level), then it counts at that level. The rate of decrease of the engine speed determines where the next interval ends up... I could imagine an big engine breaking event may slow down through the revs over several spark events and get low before the engine has gone through a full rotation or two. It doesn't require the engine to rotate fully around in the range to be considered to have been in the range.

As was mentioned, when you miss a downshift, say drop it from 5th into 2nd at highway speeds, the momentum of the car and drive-train will then push the engine to rev at whatever speed that is (wheel rotational rate through transmission ratio converts wheel rotations to engine rotations). The engine braking effect will then massively push against the rotation and slow things down (as you brown yourself)... but the engine could decelerate quickly through the ranges.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:22 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
telling people to run from a perfectly good car.
1) I always thought a "perfectly" good car was a new car with no over rev history .

2) When Porsche developed PDK to ignore over rev commands and even cut off the fuel (or shift if kickdown was tapped ) they were trying to build imperfection ?

Lastly --He wants the car . It didn't matter that the first page of this thread gave multiple opinions (which he requested BTW ) where those forum members would pass .

All one can say at this point is good luck to him but that doesn't make the car "perfect" .

Last edited by yrralis1; 07-22-2011 at 10:30 PM.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:26 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
i think too many out there are drinking from the fear-of-overrevs koolaid. your bigger fears should be the a**hole who didnt change oil for 4 yrs, or the d-bag who raced off from every light when the engine was still cold,
Presenting other issues claiming they arev in any way relevant to the topic is a red herring argument. http://www.nizkor.org/features/falla...d-herring.html

Old 07-22-2011, 11:02 PM
Originally Posted by yrralis1
1) I always thought a "perfectly" good car was a new car with no over rev history .

2) When Porsche developed PDK to ignore over rev commands and even cut off the fuel (or shift if kickdown was tapped ) they were trying to build imperfection ?

Lastly --He wants the car . It didn't matter that the first page of this thread gave multiple opinions (which he requested BTW ) where those forum members would pass .

All one can say at this point is good luck to him but that doesn't make the car "perfect" .
What opinion can you provide on perfection of a car with an over rev? You would need to drive/own one that has over revs. I won't waste my time sharing my over rev numbers with you or anyone else on this forum that I don't personally know, but I can tell you that the number of over revs on this car is nothing compared to what I have on my car. Your response is based on your opinion which is derived from information that someone else has posted in another thread, my opinion is based on a rolling model that has been driven hard, and performs well everytime I get in it. If you want a second opinion as to which cars have less issues, the one driven hard and put away wet, or the garage queen that rarely sees the road and the redline is something of a forbidden land, go ask any service advisor what that think.

Larry instead of filling people on this forum with your baseless information, go drive your car, I dare you to take either one to the track and see what you and your car are made of. When you are there take a look at what many of these old 911's look like after years of your so called abuse.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:21 PM
What opinion can you provide on perfection of a car with an over rev? You would need to drive/own one that has over revs. I won't waste my time sharing my over rev numbers with you or anyone else on this forum that I don't personally know, but I can tell you that the number of over revs on this car is nothing compared to what I have on my car. Your response is based on your opinion which is derived from information that someone else has posted in another thread, my opinion is based on a rolling model that has been driven hard, and performs well everytime I get in it. If you want a second opinion as to which cars have less issues, the one driven hard and put away wet, or the garage queen that rarely sees the road and the redline is something of a forbidden land, go ask any service advisor what that think.

Larry instead of filling people on this forum with your baseless information, go drive your car, I dare you to take either one to the track and see what you and your car are made of. When you are there take a look at what many of these old 911's look like after years of your so called abuse.
1) These aren't ordinary over revs on that car and there are countless "rolling cars" which don't have them . In fact many of them have been purchased and driven on this forum by other members who posted inital threads just like the Op of this one . In fact .. mine was not the only opinion.

2) You cite one car as the example (yours), claim my aseertions are baseless , yet don't provide the DME scan of even that one car to serve as a counterpoint

3) I am tired of the judgement passed by a select few who claim that the way they drive a car is the only way to enjoy the car . It's the "I'm right therefore you must be wrong" ideology of a one track simplistic thought process . Each person enjoys his car in his own way . Some choose to drive it daily, others opt for the track and others prefer to use it sparingly but to claim one way is superior over another .. is nothing more tahna self imposed pedestal of self righteous drivel.

4) Maybe a track only ego driven zealot section might help because apparently it seems to bother some folks how others CHOOSE to enjoy their cars.

Old 07-23-2011, 12:00 AM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
Not a level one, and the higher ones are on a down shift
That's a very interesting point. Would a hard down shift indicate tracking?

Thanks!

Old 07-23-2011, 12:02 AM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
yes, it looks like it only just hit up in that high range, and then dropped down. It would have added to the level 3 and 4 during that downshift. IMO it looks like one bad downshift (and a set of soiled underwear). The other overrevs are no big deal. BTW the overrev's stop counting at approx 65,000 in each level, so any after that are all unrecorded and freebees
LOL! Your comfort with the subject is very comforting!

Old 07-23-2011, 12:10 AM
Originally Posted by DoninDEN
That's a very interesting point. Would a hard down shift indicate tracking?

Thanks!
It might, but it can happen purely by accident.

Old 07-23-2011, 12:13 AM
Originally Posted by DoninDEN
LOL! Your comfort with the subject is very comforting!
I am probably an extreme case of over revs, and the car that you are looking at has nothing compared to mine or others that I know. If you like it, buy it and drive it... and enjoy it.

Old 07-23-2011, 12:28 AM
Originally Posted by yrralis1

Thank you for the kind words with the car, i hope it turns out to be a great car!

You are entirely correct, I did want the car, that is why I was pursuing it. My rationale for buying the car and not following the advice to run, was not because I ignoring or not listening to the comments, but weighing them into my decision. I was listening for reasons, but hearing opinions.

I was also talking with dealer and independent service departments on the issue. I wanted to understand what the readings meant. Maybe the more info, the more I'm convinced, is how I'm wired and a short run for the hills with no basis of explanation causes me to discount those comments.

That does not make them incorrect, it just means there was nothing there for me to latch to. Having said that, I'm sure when the Titanic was sinking, there some good arguments to explain why not to panic, because she could not sink....

A third of a minute over 1,037 hours, with the most recent red line occurrence being ~200 hours (25%) of the total operating life earlier does not seem excessive. Are 997's that temperamental?

Thanks, I'm just soaking it all in and learning.

Don

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DME over revs Ranges 3, 4 and 5 reported. Is it OK?