997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

DME over revs Ranges 3, 4 and 5 reported. Is it OK?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 12:30 AM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by yrralis1
Presenting other issues claiming they arev in any way relevant to the topic is a red herring argument. http://www.nizkor.org/features/falla...d-herring.html
Beautiful and accurate point!

Old 07-23-2011, 12:32 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
1) These aren't ordinary over revs on that car and there are countless "rolling cars" which don't have them . In fact many of them have been purchased and driven on this forum by other members who posted inital threads just like the Op of this one . In fact .. mine was not the only opinion.

2) You cite one car as the example (yours), claim my aseertions are baseless , yet don't provide the DME scan of even that one car to serve as a counterpoint

3) I am tired of the judgement passed by a select few who claim that the way they drive a car is the only way to enjoy the car . It's the "I'm right therefore you must be wrong" ideology of a one track simplistic thought process . Each person enjoys his car in his own way . Some choose to drive it daily, others opt for the track and others prefer to use it sparingly but to claim one way is superior over another .. is nothing more tahna self imposed pedestal of self righteous drivel.

4) Maybe a track only ego driven zealot section might help because apparently it seems to bother some folks how others CHOOSE to enjoy their cars.
You seem to be the one forming the opinion. You (and others) comment on a car that you have no experience with over revs. If you say that a car with over revs can experience more problems and this is based on reasonable data then you have a valid point. I have an example that has more over revs then all others that have commented in this thread (and possibly more then all combined) and yet you continue to doubt these results and say that I am full of it unless I am willing to show you a DME scan.

As I said before, go ask you service advisor which car has more problems, but i doubt that you will as you know you won't like the response.

Go out and get some facts to support your claim, and then feel free to continue this debate, if you don't have any solid facts, then stop being a troll and go back to giving advice on how much people should pay for their cars or talk about how much your mods add to the value of your car to future buyers and why the rest of the mods that you didn't do will only hurt the value of others cars.

Old 07-23-2011, 12:40 AM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
1) These aren't ordinary over revs on that car and there are countless "rolling cars" which don't have them . In fact many of them have been purchased and driven on this forum by other members who posted inital threads just like the Op of this one . In fact .. mine was not the only opinion.

2) You cite one car as the example (yours), claim my aseertions are baseless , yet don't provide the DME scan of even that one car to serve as a counterpoint

3) I am tired of the judgement passed by a select few who claim that the way they drive a car is the only way to enjoy the car . It's the "I'm right therefore you must be wrong" ideology of a one track simplistic thought process . Each person enjoys his car in his own way . Some choose to drive it daily, others opt for the track and others prefer to use it sparingly but to claim one way is superior over another .. is nothing more tahna self imposed pedestal of self righteous drivel.

4) Maybe a track only ego driven zealot section might help because apparently it seems to bother some folks how others CHOOSE to enjoy their cars.
Now come on, your response to my explanation of my rationale to buy the car was, in it's total entirety, "Eeesh !!!". That was not helpful and falls into what you are now claiming regarding being judgmental and self righteous.

Factually, these are redline incidents. Diverting away from the discussion by using terms like self righteous drivel, zealot and judgmental, aren't you using a red herring approach? There is no reason for that. You, me or anyone else does not have to be right, this is a discussion.

Last edited by DoninDEN; 07-23-2011 at 12:45 AM.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:47 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DoninDEN
Thank you for the kind words with the car, i hope it turns out to be a great car!

You are entirely correct, I did want the car, that is why I was pursuing it. My rationale for buying the car and not following the advice to run, was not because I ignoring or not listening to the comments, but weighing them into my decision. I was listening for reasons, but hearing opinions.

I was also talking with dealer and independent service departments on the issue. I wanted to understand what the readings meant. Maybe the more info, the more I'm convinced, is how I'm wired and a short run for the hills with no basis of explanation causes me to discount those comments.

That does not make them incorrect, it just means there was nothing there for me to latch to. Having said that, I'm sure when the Titanic was sinking, there some good arguments to explain why not to panic, because she could not sink....

A third of a minute over 1,037 hours, with the most recent red line occurrence being ~200 hours (25%) of the total operating life earlier does not seem excessive. Are 997's that temperamental?

Thanks, I'm just soaking it all in and learning.

Don
Defining "eesh" .. wondering why anyone would go through the trouble of going to another state to buy a car which had even a smidgen of doubt evoked "eesh".

Maybe this will help -

1) the Porsche PDK in the new cars ignores over rev commands and wil not shift into over rev territory . The concept behind PDK is that it's shifting capability is highly sohisticated and factors out these human errors .

2) Thje majority of posters are not technicians however there are posts on this subject wriiten by technicians explaining the over rev process . See page 2 of this thread. Sometimes when one doesn't know the answer it's a good thing to at least know where to find it.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-over-rev.html

3) One can't know the reliability outcome of the car . Have you even driven the car ? But lets say you buy it and drive it which is what you plan to do. Even in the best case scenario where the car is reliable the facts of that car's history can not be changed and when you go to sell it it may be the difference been a buyer choosing it or passing it up .

4) Those who suggested to buy it as those who didn't will NOT be the owner of the car . You will. The person it matters most to is the one who buys the car , pays for service, and one days sells it .

It's really your choice .
I wish you well.

Last edited by yrralis1; 07-23-2011 at 12:50 AM.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:05 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NorthVan
You seem to be the one forming the opinion. You (and others) comment on a car that you have no experience with over revs. .
He asked for an opinion in an open forum . He got many replies . My reply was "eesh " = doubt and confusion.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:11 AM
Go out and get some facts to support your claim, and then feel free to continue this debate, if you don't have any solid facts, then stop being a troll and go back to giving advice on how much people should pay for their cars or talk about how much your mods add to the value of your car to future buyers and why the rest of the mods that you didn't do will only hurt the value of others cars.
The burden of proof falls on the one who claims that high level over revs constitute a 'perfectly good car" . It is a positive assertion with nothing to support it. One does not have to prove a negative (that not having them is a good thing) to establish a falsehood because that isn't the topic . He's not buying a new car . One also does not have to prove or disprove "eesh" .

In fact no one called the car bad .
Most simply said 'pass" .

Last edited by yrralis1; 07-23-2011 at 01:16 AM.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:14 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
He asked for an opinion in an open forum . He got many replies . My reply was "eesh " = doubt and confusion.
Nice back tracking, I get the jist of your comment. Now go provide some support to your comment instead of just a baseless comment. This is no different then your suggestion that any repainting of a single body panel reduces the value of a 997 by $1500 per body panel painted.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:26 AM
The burden of proof falls on the one who claims that high level over revs constitute a 'perfectly good car" . It is a positive assertion with nothing to support it. One does not have to prove a negative (that not having them is a good thing) to establish a falsehood because that isn't the topic . He's not buying a new car . One also does not have to prove or disprove "eesh" .

In fact no one called the car bad .
Most simply said 'pass" .
Once again, nice back tracking!

These do not constitute high levels of over revs.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:52 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
I wish my DME looked like that. Most of the people on this forum are preserving their cars for the next owner. I would read to much into the DME scan, I would be more conserned with a car that has limited use. Buy it, drive it the way you want to, and sell it for what ever the next guy is willing to pay. Along the way you will have a lot more enjoyment out of your car then most of the people that spend their time telling people to run from a perfectly good car.
Finally some sense on this thread.....

Old 07-23-2011, 07:03 AM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
I luv this thread.....whoop whoop

Last edited by jjc4scab; 07-23-2011 at 07:13 AM.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:23 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Northvan,

Thanks for calling out some of the BS that floats around here.

Being an owner of a couple of garage queens with the intent of selling them back at the highest prices is certainly one way to be an owner and poster here.

However they are not necessarily the best source of advice and it's certainly not the most fun type of ownership IMHO.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:43 AM
Defining "eesh" .. wondering why anyone would go through the trouble of going to another state to buy a car which had even a smidgen of doubt evoked "eesh".

Maybe this will help -

1) the Porsche PDK in the new cars ignores over rev commands and wil not shift into over rev territory . The concept behind PDK is that it's shifting capability is highly sohisticated and factors out these human errors .

2) Thje majority of posters are not technicians however there are posts on this subject wriiten by technicians explaining the over rev process . See page 2 of this thread. Sometimes when one doesn't know the answer it's a good thing to at least know where to find it.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-over-rev.html

3) One can't know the reliability outcome of the car . Have you even driven the car ? But lets say you buy it and drive it which is what you plan to do. Even in the best case scenario where the car is reliable the facts of that car's history can not be changed and when you go to sell it it may be the difference been a buyer choosing it or passing it up .

4) Those who suggested to buy it as those who didn't will NOT be the owner of the car . You will. The person it matters most to is the one who buys the car , pays for service, and one days sells it .

It's really your choice .
I wish you well.
All good points. As far as the PDK and the technology regarding redlining the car, how many other automatic transmissions can you redline?

The reason I am buying the car out of state is to get a better selection of cars. I found a two I liked locally, but the dealers were not realistic on price. Essentially it saved me ~$10,000.

I bought this one through eBay Motors. I bought a Mercedes the same way 10 years ago. Back then my then wife asked me "what kind of idiot buys a used Mercedes on eBay?". When I received the car it needed a couple things and the seller stepped up to the plate.

In addition to trying understand the vehicle, I also look at the seller. I look for sellers that have a dealership and a very high ~100% feedback rating. this car's dealer has a 100% feedback rating. The Mercedes seller had a 98.9% rating, also on hundreds of sales. (I remember one of the two negatives coming from someone who bought a used Jaguar and claimed it was a lemon. I thought their complaint was the definition of a used Jaguar).

My rationale on this is twofold, first if I buy from a local dealer and I have a problem, I have no public manner of recourse. I could get completely screwed over and the local dealer's actions would never be known. With a high rated eBay seller they want to maintain their high rating and will work hard with the buyer to fix a problem. Once negative feedback is out, there it lasts forever for every potential buyer to see. While the description of the negative strike drops off over time, but the strike remains. I feel this is better than with a local dealer.

My second reason for being comfortable in buying a car I have not driven is exactly based on the who in their right mind would buy a car they have never driver? type of thinking. This is exactly what dealers do at auctions. The car sitting on the lot, even if a local car, may very well have come in from another dealer through the auction. They will always verbally say it was a trade, but you never know. If they buy a car with problems, they still need to sell it. So essentially I am buying the car in the same manner as the dealer that is selling the car locally.

Also, even if the car came in on trade in, the dealer has to make the decision quickly, so what does that really tell a buyer? It doesn't tell you they knew the car and the owner, it tells you they were able to sell a new car, take a quick look at the trade in and buy it at a price where they hope they can resell it at a positive margin.

When a dealer buys at auction they don't get to drive the car or run it through diagnostics. For me I have frank conversations with the seller who has at least a vested interest in maintaining a public reputation, something the dealer does not get from the seller at auction. Additionally, I had the local dealership perform a pre purchase inspection and a test drive. Maybe, their set of eyes and opinion will catch a noise I would not know to listen for.

All in all, I am buying a car in the same manner, if not with more precautionary research, than the car on the local dearship lot.

But in the end isn't this all just a red herring to the original subject at hand? LOL?

Old 07-23-2011, 07:56 AM
Here's an interesting question:

When you bought your car, how many of you read the DME before you bought it? Did you know what it was and what it meant?

Be honest! LOL!

Old 07-23-2011, 09:02 AM
getz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud of
I would not be concerned by the DME scan. Enjoy your Porsche.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by DoninDEN
Here's an interesting question:

When you bought your car, how many of you read the DME before you bought it? Did you know what it was and what it meant?

Be honest! LOL!
Not me, and BTW I bought both of my 997's on eBay because of the bigger selection of cars.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DME over revs Ranges 3, 4 and 5 reported. Is it OK?