997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

DME over revs Ranges 3, 4 and 5 reported. Is it OK?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 09:17 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by buckwheat986
Northvan,

Thanks for calling out some of the BS that floats around here.

Being an owner of a couple of garage queens with the intent of selling them back at the highest prices is certainly one way to be an owner and poster here.

However they are not necessarily the best source of advice and it's certainly not the most fun type of ownership IMHO.
This forum is full cheerleaders all agreeing with each other and never willing to rock the boat. IMO this started right around the time the Rep Points came around. I have been absent from this forum for the last 6 months because it is weak on opinions. If you want to say "yes dear" all day long do it with the wife. If you want to be a yes man do it at work. If you come to this forum, state your opinion, let's discuss the issues with facts and opinions and if you don't know the STFU or state that you don't know.

Let's stop caring how many positive reps you have an start caring about what you have to say.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:29 AM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NorthVan
Not me, and BTW I bought both of my 997's on eBay because of the bigger selection of cars.
Nice! )

I should set it up as a poll. My suspicion is that the majority of the people who said run away from the car did not review their DME statistics when they bought their car. Silly in my view. But my conclusion is it is not an issue at all.

Last edited by DoninDEN; 07-23-2011 at 09:33 AM.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:25 AM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DoninDEN
Here's an interesting question:

When you bought your car, how many of you read the DME before you bought it? Did you know what it was and what it meant?

Be honest! LOL!
Didn't even consider it......!
It ran awesome,the paint work was great and I loved the car in the first five minutes of driving it.
I did get Durametric when I installed the supercharger(back in the day) and read my DME.....well let me tell you...IT is far from perfect and makes this one that DoninDEN look like a saint!

IMO...there is too much emphasis put on DME over revs(especially like one posted above)......OH and also paint work(when done right) and IMS bearings....
Funny a newbie comes to the forum and figures every '05 has a bad IMS bearing thanks to the internet when in reality most dealers have NOT even fixed one....I contacted my dealer last week and the service rep had no idea was I was talking about.....
IF this amount of over revs and paint work is THAT big of an issue for people....my car is not worth a bucket of sand and I may be paying someone to take this 'toilet' off of my hands!
Have the car checked out,which you did if I am not mistaken and if it checks out.....buy it and,go enjoy it!

Old 07-23-2011, 10:31 AM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
I did buy it and it is supposed to ship tomorrow! It is supposed to be here in Denver from Oakland in a covered truck on Tuesday ($795) I am very excited!!! I dug into as much info as I could because I wanted to know what I was getting.

How do I upload a photo for my I'd profile?

Thanks!

Don

Old 07-23-2011, 10:43 AM
Hella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud of
I ran the DME prior to purchase. For me, this car was a substantial amount of money and I wanted to minimalism the potential future risks and warranty denial. I think the point everyone was trying to make is that given the DME of said car, it's an area of caution. To some that might not be an issue. With me... it would be. I would rather buy local and sit in the man's living room and see how he lives. That's just me. If the DME doesn't bother you and if buying on ebay expands the pool of cars and you're alright with it then enjoy.

This thread is getting a little heated and what's the point? We all love our cars and that's why we're here.... "Can't we all just get along!?"

Old 07-23-2011, 11:25 AM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
"Can't we all just get along!?"[/quote]

These r all opinions......everyone has one.......just like everyone has an.....

Right Stacy......LOL

Old 07-23-2011, 11:35 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jjc4scab
These r all opinions......everyone has one.......just like everyone has an.....
A hairless head.... Uh no, just you Jim

Old 07-23-2011, 11:39 AM
Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
I ran the DME prior to purchase. For me, this car was a substantial amount of money and I wanted to minimalism the potential future risks and warranty denial. I think the point everyone was trying to make is that given the DME of said car, it's an area of caution. To some that might not be an issue. With me... it would be. I would rather buy local and sit in the man's living room and see how he lives. That's just me. If the DME doesn't bother you and if buying on ebay expands the pool of cars and you're alright with it then enjoy.

This thread is getting a little heated and what's the point? We all love our cars and that's why we're here.... "Can't we all just get along!?"
Easy for to buy local, considering the large volume of Porsches sold in the State of Califormia.

As for getting along, too much cheerleading going on for my liking, and that only leads to one opinion. In this case many misinformed opinions based on other peoples findings on the Internet.

Old 07-23-2011, 12:02 PM
Thanks everyone! Here is what my new toy looks like. I'm excited to get her!

Don

Attached Images     
Old 07-23-2011, 12:04 PM
Very nice Don, congrats

Old 07-23-2011, 12:10 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
I did buy it and it is supposed to ship tomorrow! It is supposed to be here in Denver from Oakland in a covered truck on Tuesday ($795) I am very excited!!! I dug into as much info as I could because I wanted to know what I was getting.

How do I upload a photo for my I'd profile?

Thanks!

Don
Congrats!!!! Great guards red targa, she's a beauty. That is a great price, I had mine shipped from San Diego to Littleton, It was about $1,500, could had gotten a cheaper rate but I wanted it enclosed and with a lift that doesn't require using 2x4 to load.

Regarding the DME, I didn't know how to read it, I asked the mechanic who did it, He said there were a few over rev's but nothing that will hurt the engine.

Last edited by Ynot; 07-23-2011 at 12:14 PM.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:34 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !

Don
awesome...all the best...I'm kind a partial to the color...

very hard on resale value...stop...just kidding!!!

...but no one will miss you on the track...

heres me besting the john...

Attached Images   
Old 07-23-2011, 01:56 PM
808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !
Hehehe, to be honest, DME was the furthest thing from my mind. I went in, saw the car on the show room floor, loved the color and options that I was looking for, asked for a test drive where I bounced off redline with the salesperson on board, and said, "Let's make a deal" after the drive. The car was on the floor for 6 months, and I would be naive to think that it was not test driven prior to me .

I did a DME scan afterwards when I was curious to see how my car was performing with the S/C. Ha, there were overrevs alright, but it performed flawlessly thus far and provided me with much ejoyment till this day.

Bottom line, go with your gut feeling and what ever research you did prior to getting the car of your liking. The 997 engines are quite robust, IMO. With that said, congrats on your recent acquisition.

Here's an interesting question:

When you bought your car, how many of you read the DME before you bought it? Did you know what it was and what it meant?

Be honest! LOL!

Old 07-23-2011, 04:16 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by buckwheat986
Northvan,

Thanks for calling out some of the BS that floats around here.

Being an owner of a couple of garage queens with the intent of selling them back at the highest prices is certainly one way to be an owner and poster here.

However they are not necessarily the best source of advice and it's certainly not the most fun type of ownership IMHO.
A car either has the over revs or it does not . Those are facts. The mere fact that the title of the thread is posed as a question reveals doubt .

Why anyone would choose to buy a car wihen there are others which lack those attributes .. is not "BS" .. it's a conscious decision.

He made the choice . Good luck to him .

Old 07-23-2011, 04:24 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !

Don
enjoy the moment !! Best wishes with the car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DME over revs Ranges 3, 4 and 5 reported. Is it OK?