997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

DME over revs Ranges 3, 4 and 5 reported. Is it OK?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 04:34 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NorthVan
This forum is full cheerleaders all agreeing with each other and never willing to rock the boat. IMO this started right around the time the Rep Points came around. I have been absent from this forum for the last 6 months because it is weak on opinions. If you want to say "yes dear" all day long do it with the wife. If you want to be a yes man do it at work. If you come to this forum, state your opinion, let's discuss the issues with facts and opinions and if you don't know the STFU or state that you don't know.

Let's stop caring how many positive reps you have an start caring about what you have to say.
You make the choice to post here .
Apparently the few who agree with you are the only ones who are not "cheerleaders" .
Like I said .. maybe another section is a good idea .

I still don't see what this has to do with the topic .
He's buying the car .
It seems like we all agree on one thing by wishing him the best .

Or is that unanimous "cheerleading" ?

Old 07-23-2011, 04:42 PM
VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !
Just remember the first time you down shift from fifth to third you will become a contributor and statistic. Lord knows we are perfect drivers and none of us have ever driven our cars aggressively or have ever considered using engine braking as a means to slow down whilst realizing you are going too fast to make the turn that lays ahead. I know all I use my car for is dropping my kid off at daycare and hitting SB's on the way home, never getting my car out of second gear on mile 1.5 commute.

Enjoy and drive the hell out of it, why else did you buy it?

Old 07-23-2011, 04:45 PM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Ynot
Congrats!!!! Great guards red targa, she's a beauty. That is a great price, I had mine shipped from San Diego to Littleton, It was about $1,500, could had gotten a cheaper rate but I wanted it enclosed and with a lift that doesn't require using 2x4 to load.

Regarding the DME, I didn't know how to read it, I asked the mechanic who did it, He said there were a few over rev's but nothing that will hurt the engine.
Thanks! Yours is awesome. Are you a member of one of the local clubs? It would be fun to take a run through the mountains.

Old 07-23-2011, 04:49 PM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by buckwheat986
awesome...all the best...I'm kind a partial to the color...

very hard on resale value...stop...just kidding!!!

...but no one will miss you on the track...

heres me besting the john...
LOL, I have always loved the guardsmen red, it is just so classic Porsche to me. My worry isn't resale, it's the cops!

Old 07-23-2011, 04:51 PM
Very nice Don, congrats
Thank you! I will! Can't wait to drive her!

Old 07-23-2011, 04:53 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yrralis1
You make the choice to post here .
Apparently the few who agree with you are the only ones who are not "cheerleaders" .
Like I said .. maybe another section is a good idea .

I still don't see what this has to do with the topic .
He's buying the car .
It seems like we all agree on one thing by wishing him the best .

Or is that unanimous "cheerleading" ?

GREAT response Larry. It has everything to do with the topic, the discussion of whether the DME scan was bad or not is the topic, and your response was based on useless information without any basis. My response and the others that that said no are based of of working models that have some amount of over revs and no problems. The end of the day, facts vs fiction, since you have admitted numerous times that you hardly drive either of your Porsches I would venture to bet that your answer is based on fiction.

As for finding another section, may I suggest the Off Topic section for your future comments, as you have failed to supply any supporting evidence to your claim.

Old 07-23-2011, 04:56 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by KK Moto
Finally!!!!! I'm joining the "F*ck the DME Scan And Enjoy Your Porsche" club!!!
Welcome! I love the name of the club.

Old 07-23-2011, 05:03 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !

GREAT response Larry. It has everything to do with the topic, the discussion of whether the DME scan was bad or not is the topic, and your response was based on useless information without any basis.
You are the one who states the claim that the over revs are a "perfectly good car" . It is up to you to back that up . Claiming that a few working cars are running is not evidence to support it.

Unlike you I have made NO assertions .. other than to "pass' in favor of cars which lack them .

Old 07-23-2011, 05:13 PM
The end of the day, facts vs fiction,
Over revs are facts . There is no fiction in that .
Cars which lack over revs exist . That is a fact as well .
This is not the only Porsche in the universe . That is a fact .
Claiming this car is 'perfect" .. woild require evidence to support the claim .
You have shown none .

Still waiting ..

Old 07-23-2011, 05:13 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
A car either has the over revs or it does not . Those are facts. The mere fact that the title of the thread is posed as a question reveals doubt .

Why anyone would choose to buy a car wihen there are others which lack those attributes .. is not "BS" .. it's a conscious decision.

He made the choice . Good luck to him .
Larry,

Its BS because many people speak like they know and they don't.

The OP asked whether people thought these overevs were OK. Many people gave the standard response...Pass. How many of those you said pass have actually experience with an over-reved car that went south.

He did the right thing, spoke with a pro and said he bought it.

Your response was .."eeesh"...why?..not confusion or doubt as you say...it was a jab at his choice..clear and to the point. Not very nice IMO. The choice was made...why not say ...good luck and move on.

Anyway...

I bought my car CPO's and was told the scan was good. Lots of good that did me. 300 miles later I had a new engine after the IMS went. Let me ask? Whats the test for that?

With all the doom and gloom on this forum its a wonder whether anyone should EVER buy any 911 that doesn't have a DFI engine. Or any 911 at all.

I have written the following many times before here...

You can buy a porsche worry and fret about over-revs, pristine condition, the dreaded 10K and 50K mile markers (larry, your the only person I have every heard mention that anywhere), worthless mods, tracking, IMS, RMS, swirl marks,...(did I miss any?).

Or you can get out and drive without all the worry and smile when you sit back and think how your day went.

Now Don can go do the second. With a car with a classic color.

Old 07-23-2011, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by buckwheat986
Larry,

Its BS because many people speak like they know and they don't.

The OP asked whether people thought these overevs were OK. Many people gave the standard response...Pass. How many of those you said pass have actually experience with an over-reved car that went south.
"Pass" is neither a positive or a negative statement .It actually is an absence of a statement . The effort is to try and reduce risk factors in buying a car .. otherwise any car is fair game to buy .
The question is where does one draw the line ? That's an individual decision . To some its over revs. To others its a salvage title. To others it could be that a cooke crumb is in the front seat with ants Each peson has his own boundary and ultimately .. the car is his .. and what others would choose doesn't matter .

Old 07-23-2011, 05:36 PM
Or you can get out and drive without all the worry and smile when you sit back and think how your day went.
There is no enjoyment if a car sits in service with repairs . (expense. inconvience, time)
There is no enjoyment if one can't sell his car .
This is especially the case with the used car shopper who in most cases is trying to get the most benefit on the large expense .

I don't see anything wrong with a selective shopper .

Old 07-23-2011, 05:44 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
yes...and I'm also joining the other clubs I mentioned above.

I like also the DILYSI club...(but only on the track) and the PCA.

Old 07-23-2011, 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by KK Moto
Sounds like another member of the "F*ck the DME Scan and enjoy your Porsche" Club.!!

That makes 3
I think VID997 should be in it as well

Old 07-23-2011, 05:46 PM
There is no enjoyment if a car sits in service with repairs . (expense. inconvience, time)
There is no enjoyment if one can't sell his car .
This is especially the case with the used car shopper who in most cases is trying to get the most benefit on the large expense .

I don't see anything wrong with a selective shopper .
SOS with you on this one. Yes. I never see any porsches on the road. Their all in shops. Because no one can be as selective as you.

Please get a new argument.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DME over revs Ranges 3, 4 and 5 reported. Is it OK?