997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

DME over revs Ranges 3, 4 and 5 reported. Is it OK?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 01:42 PM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation DME over revs Ranges 3, 4 and 5 reported. Is it OK?

I'm having a 997 Targa 4S checked out at a dealer. Everything looks ok, but the DME came back with what appears to be a lot of over revs:

Range 1: 5,487
Range 2: 1,953
Range 3: 525
Range 4: 40
Range 5: 1
Range 6: 0

Here are the range specs:

A 997-1 DME records the following rev ranges:
Range 1: 7300-7500 RPM
Range 2: 7500-7700 RPM
Range 3: 7700-7900 RPM
Range 4: 7900-8400 RPM
Range 5: 8400-9500 RPM
Range 6: 9500-11000 RPM

As the car redlines at 7,000 and the tach is buried at 8,000, is this a concern? How would you interpret these reading toward how the car has been driven?

I need to decide whether to mover forward with this car. Thank you!!

Don

Old 07-21-2011, 02:01 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
yes it is a problem, any data in ranges above 3rd (4,5,6) can be used by PCNA as a reson to cancel your warranty request - in case of engine related issues.
dealer does not decide on that - PCNA does, so, I would not get a car with 'dirty' 4,5 ranges. find another car.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:29 PM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
I curious on the calculation and its meaning. My assumptions here: The over rev is a reading of ignition clicks and there is one ignition click per revolution. Revolutions are measured on a per minute basis, so the DME reading tells you how long the car has been at that over rev level, in seconds if you multiple the reading divided by the RPM speed by 60.

I used the average of the over rev range to compare back to the reading for the RPM speed. I then took the ratio of the over rev reading to rev range average. If for example the average RPM flor level 1 is 7,400 and it read 7,400 that would mean it was at that level for 1 minute. I multplied that ratio by 60 to determine the amount of time the car had been at each overrev range. This is what I came up with:

Range 1: 7300-7500 RPM Average: 7,400 Reading 5,487 Seconds: 44.49
Range 2: 7500-7700 RPM Average: 7,600 Reading 1,953 Seconds: 15.42
Range 3: 7700-7900 RPM Average: 7,800 Reading 525 Seconds: 4.04
Range 4: 7900-8400 RPM Average: 8,150 Reading 40 Seconds: .29
Range 5: 8400-9500 RPM Average: 8,950 Reading 1 Seconds: .01
Range 6: 9500-11000 RPM Average: 10,250 Reading 0 Seconds: 0

Relative to the total operating hours of 1,037 hours, approximately one minute of over rev, does not seem excessive. Is my logic correct?

Side note: Becasue the car has 36,500 miles and 1,037 operating hours, the average speed has been 35.2 MPH.

Last edited by DoninDEN; 07-21-2011 at 02:54 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:40 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
logic is simpler. if your engine goes kaboom within of (i believe) 70 (or 50) hours from a timestamp of most recent entry in ranges 4-6 you have a good chance not get it covered by warranty. they do not really care what number it shows there, imho, just a presence of an overrev there is enough. if you want to buy a new for you car - why to add an additional problem like this?

Old 07-21-2011, 02:44 PM
Yikes,

How do I put tabular data in here?

Old 07-21-2011, 03:03 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
I would not touch that car.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:57 PM
ScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really nice
I would bail out.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:02 PM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
Walk from that car.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:39 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DoninDEN

Range 1: 5,487
Range 2: 1,953
Range 3: 525
Range 4: 40
Range 5: 1
Range 6: 0
Originally Posted by DoninDEN

Side note: Becasue the car has 36,500 miles and 1,037 operating hours, the average speed has been 35.2 MPH.
35.2 avg is high..

looking at the DME, it appears the car has been driven hard and fast..

i would keep looking.

2cents.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:58 PM
surfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JoeShark
Walk from that car.
Don't walk, run.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:59 PM
KK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud of
It has been driven as Porsche (dare I say) designed to do. Hard, probably not abused, but certainly hard.

Like Utkinpol said however, if something catastrophic had happened and was denied repair from Porsche because of a timestamp, then the event(s) was likely a non-event.

I cannot say that I wouldn't run like so many people say to do when someone posts DME scans. However there are many, many good Porsches out there that have been driven aggressively without any harm......

Funny how everyone wants (used buyers and dealers) a perfectly virgin/ pampered/ babied/ pristine USED car.....I don't get it. I drive the hell out of my car, but I do not abuse my car. I think many people, including those here, have unrealistic expectations. If you want a fresh car, buy new.

Make sure it's got an extended warranty or CPO'd.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:30 PM
Hella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud of
Seems like you're trying to rationalize purchasing the car. Consensus is to keep looking. There are other cars without this issue.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:35 PM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
get on a Hayabusa Suzuki and leave as fast as u can

Old 07-21-2011, 06:18 PM
jakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by KK Moto
It has been driven as Porsche (dare I say) designed to do. Hard, probably not abused, but certainly hard.

Like Utkinpol said however, if something catastrophic had happened and was denied repair from Porsche because of a timestamp, then the event(s) was likely a non-event.

I cannot say that I wouldn't run like so many people say to do when someone posts DME scans. However there are many, many good Porsches out there that have been driven aggressively without any harm......

Funny how everyone wants (used buyers and dealers) a perfectly virgin/ pampered/ babied/ pristine USED car.....I don't get it. I drive the hell out of my car, but I do not abuse my car. I think many people, including those here, have unrealistic expectations. If you want a fresh car, buy new.

Thank you.... it sure makes sense to me.... a logical approach......

Old 07-21-2011, 06:21 PM
808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !
+1. Well said.

Originally Posted by KK Moto

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DME over revs Ranges 3, 4 and 5 reported. Is it OK?