997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Thoughts on the Car Wash & Wax by hand..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 04:35 AM
997.1 is infamous around these parts
Thoughts on the Car Wash & Wax by hand..

It's very rare that I don't clean my car myself. But I'm getting busy and find myself bringing my car to those car wash & wax places. For the most part, they do a decent job. But some of those guys are idiots. I absolutely cringe when i see them open up the lid and slam it shut.... (oh this is AFTER they open up the back part thinking thats the trunk).

I've seen other porsche cars get cleaned by some of these companies too..why don't they learn?! Am i being a prude by saying this? Or am I valid in the fact that these idiots should not be slamming the hood of our cars..ugh. Pains me to think about it. Anyway, my anger is reflected in the tip (or lack there of).

Old 07-22-2011, 04:53 AM
beaboarder is infamous around these parts
I never use the car washes, IMO your just asking for problems. I have a MY08 and it's a daily driver, if it gets dirty it stays dirty until I have time to wash it. Once the vehicle has a good foundation (clay bar and wax of your choosing) it really does not take that long to give it a wash and blow dry.

Old 07-22-2011, 05:48 AM
mikegee is a jewel in the roughmikegee is a jewel in the roughmikegee is a jewel in the rough
I wash mine, and it is a daily driver. However, I have it detailed and waxed every two months. I am lucky to have a detailer here who specializes in high end cars.

I can wash blow it off, shammy dry in about 20 minutes, including the wheels

Old 07-22-2011, 08:07 AM
sameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to behold
I never washed my other car myself. But ever since i bought my 911, the first thing i did was go out and buy Washing n waxing cleaning supplies. I do not want anyone else handling my car but me.

You will be rewarded for good Karma.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:51 AM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
I washed it myself, the 911 is small and doesn't take that much time cleaning it. Plus I like doing that stuff, it gives me something to do on the weekends.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:50 PM
808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !
I also wash the Porsche by myself, as I have more control over the outcome of the result. Having said that, I also have a high end detailer who would do a makeover on my car every 6 months to a yr.

I have another car that I take to another detailer, and the way he has his workers wash and detail the car, makes me cringe.

Bottom line, if you don't have the time to do it yourself, find an OCD detailer you trust and pay the premium to have him/her take care of your car, IMO.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:21 PM
surfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 808c2s
I also wash the Porsche by myself, as I have more control over the outcome of the result. Having said that, I also have a high end detailer who would do a makeover on my car every 6 months to a yr.

I have another car that I take to another detailer, and the way he has his workers wash and detail the car, makes me cringe.

Bottom line, if you don't have the time to do it yourself, find an OCD detailer you trust and pay the premium to have him/her take care of your car, IMO.
x2. I have a great detailer by Ward Warehouse that I use every 6 to 12 months. Last time I dropped off my ride there were a couple Turbos being detailed as well. The rest of the time I just handwash and shammy in my driveway. I clean my rims but am not particular about the brakes or the exhaust. The interior stays immaculate because I never roll the window down, once in awhile I'll using an interior leather wipe for the seats.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:28 PM
808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !
Oh? If it's ok with you, may I ask who do you take your car to? Mine is in Aiea.

Originally Posted by surfah
x2. I have a great detailer by Ward Warehouse that I use every 6 to 12 months. Last time I dropped off my ride there were a couple Turbos being detailed as well.

Old 07-22-2011, 05:00 PM
tommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud of
I don't ever wash and wax my car! I have a fantastic car wash and detailer in Northern NJ that I love and he's been doing it for years. I let the professionals do what they do better than me!

Old 07-22-2011, 06:03 PM
surfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond repute
Oh? If it's ok with you, may I ask who do you take your car to? Mine is in Aiea.
Check your PM

Old 07-22-2011, 10:46 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
[quote=tommyv;3266693]I don't ever wash and wax my car! I have a fantastic car wash and detailer in Northern NJ that I love and he's been doing it for years. I let the professionals do what they do better than me![/quote]

+1 -Yep .

To the OP -- The time it takes to drive to the place , wait for the car, and pay a poorly skilled individual only to be unhappy makes no sense . By doing so it actually makes you an active participant in your own dismay . In fact you are even funding your own misery because you thought about it afterwards enough to even post about it .

Find the right detailer !!!!

Old 07-23-2011, 12:21 AM
ato911 is infamous around these parts

Hey, 808 C2S, I need a job. How much would you pay me to detail your car? Of course, after I detail it, I would have to take it on H3 and check out the SC. Hehehe!

Old 07-23-2011, 02:48 AM
Haha funny, wise guy

Originally Posted by ato911
Hey, 808 C2S, I need a job. How much would you pay me to detail your car? Of course, after I detail it, I would have to take it on H3 and check out the SC. Hehehe!

Old 07-23-2011, 07:17 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 997.1
It's very rare that I don't clean my car myself. But I'm getting busy and find myself bringing my car to those car wash & wax places. For the most part, they do a decent job. But some of those guys are idiots. I absolutely cringe when i see them open up the lid and slam it shut.... (oh this is AFTER they open up the back part thinking thats the trunk).

I've seen other porsche cars get cleaned by some of these companies too..why don't they learn?! Am i being a prude by saying this? Or am I valid in the fact that these idiots should not be slamming the hood of our cars..ugh. Pains me to think about it. Anyway, my anger is reflected in the tip (or lack there of).
I wash my car using Optimum No Rinse (ONR) www.optimumcarcare.com - no hoses and I do it in the garage. Twice a year I have a guy do a full detail on the exterior - he's a perfectionist and works specifically on high end cars. www.proreflection.com

Old 07-23-2011, 03:30 PM
BLKonBLK911C4S is infamous around these parts
Some of the so called "professionals" are far from it. My car is black. I use the 2 bucket wash method with a foam gun and dry it using a blower.
I once used a local "professional". They were highly recommended and at the time I did not have access to my garage..... They used 1 bucket, who knows how long it has been since they cleaned their wash mitts and then they used some cheap towels to rake across my paint which I am sure they were used on several cars prior to mine.
It also give me a chance to inspect my car. I know every scratch, chip or mark. That is not necessarily a good thing :-0 but it me the opportunity to correct it and know when I get it back from the stealership or Indy if they damaged my car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the Car Wash & Wax by hand..