997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Newbie going to first Track Event

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 11:47 AM
simsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by PKing Fast
[...] Master the car exactly as it is first, then mod it/change settings little by little so you can fully appreciate every change to it's handling/power.
I agree with everything in this post, but especially the punch line. I would add one thing from my own experience. You don't say explicitly, but you did post this on the 997 forum so I assume that's what you're driving. This is a car very little removed from its racing origins. I seriously doubt you'll see the coolant temp move from its street-normal position. The oil temperature will rise slightly, but nothing exciting. (It should be higher because it's absorbing waste heat from the greater energy production in the cylinders.)

You're only going to Pomona, not Willow Springs or Buttonwillow where the temps are much higher this time of year, so the car won't have a problem. Relax and take advantage of the chance to enjoy learning new skills yourself. The car will be right at home.

Gary

Old 07-27-2011, 03:22 PM
PKing Fast has a spectacular aura aboutPKing Fast has a spectacular aura aboutPKing Fast has a spectacular aura about
----

Last edited by PKing Fast; 10-09-2020 at 08:30 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:48 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Agreed, but this is a parking lot event where temperatures and speeds won't be much different from spirited driving on regular roads.
WTF kind of a DE is that? how do you learn control in the parking lot.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:01 PM
PKing Fast has a spectacular aura aboutPKing Fast has a spectacular aura aboutPKing Fast has a spectacular aura about
----

Last edited by PKing Fast; 10-09-2020 at 08:30 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:30 PM
DMoore is a jewel in the roughDMoore is a jewel in the roughDMoore is a jewel in the roughDMoore is a jewel in the rough
It seems like I'm the only one responding so far with hands on experience at Pomona. I've done 4 DE/PDS days there and an AX. I also took my PCA national DE instructor's course there.

This is an old race track from the 50's, recently brought back to life. It's laid out as a road course with fresh pavement laid over top of a huge parking lot that adjoins the Pomona drag strip. There are some cones and tire stacks to mark the course, as well as a lot of paint and/or chalk stripes. It's fast - I can hit about 115 mph in my GTS. It's pretty safe, although if you try hard enough you can screw up anywhere.

It's a POC PDS event. A novice driver WILL be required to have an instructor. Run groups will be assigned and a "newbie" will be in the slowest group. You'll probably get to ride with your instructor when he/she drives; he/she will ride along when you drive.

The pavement started to break up just a little in one location the last time I was there a month ago. That generated a little gravel that could ding your paint. FWIW, I have a 2011 GTS and I've run 3 events at Pomona with that car - no damage yet.

Temps for this weekend in Pomona look to be mid-90's. Bring a folding chair and a hat for sure. Sunscreen if you use it. There's a snack bar on site, but I bring an ice chest with half a dozen bottles of water.

Unless there's something wrong with your car oil and water temps won't be an issue.

I start with stock tire pressures, then check them after the first run session. They'll go up noticeably. I'll typically bleed off 3 or 4 psi from each tire at that point, then leave them alone the rest of the day.

I'll be there Saturday. Look for the the white GTS, #412, and say Hi!

DMoore
'11 GTS
'10 P4S

Old 07-27-2011, 05:06 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
dmoore,

thanks for the info...

he should have a blast...

Old 07-27-2011, 05:13 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Lol haven't been there myself, if it's this "track" then it looks like fun. Not very technical but plenty of room for some full throttle madness.
Not comforting to see all those power line poles next to the track.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:46 PM
PFW_06C4S is infamous around these parts
Thanks everyone for all the comments and suggestions. Looking forward to the event and meeting the fellow enthusiasts!

Old 08-02-2011, 11:03 AM
Reporting Back

Attended the Pomona Fairplex POC PDS event last Saturday. I had a blast at the event! 5 sessions throughout the day and lunch was provided by a sponsor. My instructor, Robert L., was great at teaching me additional car preparation, tire pressure monitoring, the proper line, acceleration & braking points, slow in-fast out, etc. My first session was pathetic - I think a turtle passed me. I learned I was not hitting the brakes hard enough (to the point of ABS coming on) and to prepare the car with braking & downshifting before entering the turn. By the end of the day, I had greatly improved my understanding of the capabilities of the car and that there is much more it can do. Everyone was friendly and helpful.

DMoore - you are an illusive person. I must have stopped by 4-5 times, but I did you see you going through the course via turn 1. What a beautiful white GTS.

Plug- there were a ton of folks that volunteered to make this event possible. Many folks just there to work the event - WOW!

Old 08-02-2011, 11:44 AM
DMoore is a jewel in the roughDMoore is a jewel in the roughDMoore is a jewel in the roughDMoore is a jewel in the rough
PFW - glad you had fun! Sorry I missed you, but thanks for the compliment.

So how did you do? Final times aren't that important, but how much improvement did you see during the day? I'd have won my class IF there hadn't been a GT2RS in it. It's impossible to argue with 620 hp.

Driving on a track for the first time is always a huge eye-opener. I had no idea how well my brakes work until an instructor demonstrated that for me. "Slow in, fast out" is the mantra for every Porsche driver. With more experience you'll learn about under and oversteer, and how to "steer with the throttle." You'll also learn how quickly you can kill tires and brake pads! (On my GTS I went through the factory tires and front pads in 2700 miles, 5 track and 2 autocross days.)

I think we picked the right day by going on Saturday. I don't know what happened at the track on Sunday but it was raining hard when I woke up that morning.

The event you attended was sponsored by POC. If you're interested, PCA (Porsche Club of America) has several chapters in SoCal, many of which have very active driving event schedules. For example, the Orange Coast chapter has an autocross event every month at the old El Toro air base in Irvine. Grand Prix region (Long Beach) and San Diego also sponsor quite a few track events at Pomona, Fontana, Chuckwalla, Willow Springs and Buttonwillow. I manage to do a couple of events per month, all within easy driving range. Many folks, me included, belong to both POC and a PCA chapter as well.

Welcome to the track.

DMoore
'11 GTS
'10 Panamera 4S

Old 08-02-2011, 01:52 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PFW_06C4S
Attended the Pomona Fairplex POC PDS event last Saturday. I had a blast at the event! 5 sessions throughout the day and lunch was provided by a sponsor. My instructor, Robert L., was great at teaching me additional car preparation, tire pressure monitoring, the proper line, acceleration & braking points, slow in-fast out, etc. My first session was pathetic - I think a turtle passed me. I learned I was not hitting the brakes hard enough (to the point of ABS coming on) and to prepare the car with braking & downshifting before entering the turn. By the end of the day, I had greatly improved my understanding of the capabilities of the car and that there is much more it can do. Everyone was friendly and helpful.

DMoore - you are an illusive person. I must have stopped by 4-5 times, but I did you see you going through the course via turn 1. What a beautiful white GTS.

Plug- there were a ton of folks that volunteered to make this event possible. Many folks just there to work the event - WOW!
PFW,

Thanks for the follow up. Its great to see you had a terrific time. Love the turtle reference.

A good instructor is so valuable and they all deserve allot of thanks.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:19 AM
TT2911 is just really niceTT2911 is just really niceTT2911 is just really niceTT2911 is just really niceTT2911 is just really nice
Does your regular car insurance still cover you when you're on the track, even though it isn't wheel to wheel competition and actually a driver education activity?

I know you can buy race day only coverage from specialized vendors but it seems to be REAL pricey.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by TT2911
Does your regular car insurance still cover you when you're on the track, even though it isn't wheel to wheel competition and actually a driver education activity?

I know you can buy race day only coverage from specialized vendors but it seems to be REAL pricey.
It depends entirely upon the wording of your insurance policy, but it appears there are very few companies left that cover you on the track. I was at a DE in Pomona late last year when a Turbo cab was totalled. (Long story, rainy day.) I was told that his insurance policy covered the accident because he had an instructor in the car with him when it happened. I can't vouch for the story, except to say I heard it from the repair shop who told the insurance company it was a total.

Personally, I bought track insurance for my very first DE and haven't bothered since. I've never had any reason to worry about that decision - except for when that busted-up cab rolled past me on a flatbed.

DMoore
'11 GTS
'10 Panamera 4S

Old 08-05-2011, 06:49 PM
My driving instructor mentioned that your insurance should be covered with the instructor type IF you do not have a timer installed...So I guess you can roll it as long as you have an instructor teaching you how to drive and not being timed

Old 08-05-2011, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by PFW_06C4S
My driving instructor mentioned that your insurance should be covered with the instructor type IF you do not have a timer installed...So I guess you can roll it as long as you have an instructor teaching you how to drive and not being timed
Don't count on that. READ YOUR POLICY. Mine was ambiguous (and I'm a lawyer), so I called my agent. He wasn't sure, so he called an underwriter. He was told in no uncertain terms: NO COVERAGE. If it's on a race track, regardless of what kind of event, timed or not, regardless of who's driving - no coverage. That's Allstate, your policy may differ but don't take anything for granted.

Your policy is a contract, and it only covers what it specifically says it covers. Don't take your instructor's word for it unless he's an attorney who has read your policy!

DMoore
'11 GTS
'10 Panamera 4S

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Newbie going to first Track Event