997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Newbie going to first Track Event

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 12:17 AM
PFW_06C4S is infamous around these parts
Newbie going to first Track Event

Hello Fellow Enthusiats, I will be participating in my first driving event this Saturday at the Pomona Fairplex with the POC. The car has fresh brake fluid, spark plugs and engine oil/filter. Just had the tech inspection completed today with flying colors. I have some burning questions and wanted to get your advice on preparing for the day's events:

1. How much gas should I have for the Sat event (full, 3/4, 1/2, 1/4 tanks)?
2. At what point should I stop running in regards to oil temp and or water temp? What are considered the normal track operating temps?
3. Protecting the car - I see people masking off their cars with painters tape - what are the key areas? I didnt want to be the only guy with the entire car wrapped in tape
4. What tire pressure settings should I use? Stay with stock?

Since it is my first event, I am just looking to enjoy the experience, meet some folks and see where it goes (not like I need another hobby).

Looking forward to your comments and suggestions - Paul

Old 07-27-2011, 01:15 AM
PKing Fast has a spectacular aura aboutPKing Fast has a spectacular aura aboutPKing Fast has a spectacular aura about
----

Last edited by PKing Fast; 10-09-2020 at 08:31 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:31 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Paul,

King has provided good advice. I don't know anything about the place. Is it a track or autocross type of event.

If it's the track and hot I would lower your tire pressures a few pounds or at least check them after each run and take them down if the get very high. You can probable borrow someone's tire pressure gauge with air release

Have fun, relax and enjoy.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:21 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I have disagree with the tire pressure comment that PKing made. One of the most important things you can do is maintain a proper temperature. Your cold temperature will be determined by the ambient temperature, the tire itself, and the way you drive. I would ask you instructor for some pressure advice, and start checking it after the runs. You could get nitrogen put in to minimize your pressure change, but then you will need to have some available for the top up before the drive home.

Enjoy, it is so much fun!

Old 07-27-2011, 06:49 AM
seapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of light
Hopefully, you will have an instructor alongside who will give you feedback and help you drive "smooth". In between runs you can ask fellow drivers in the different classes their opinions especially if they have the same or similar type of car. Have fun. It will be addicting. Full tank. Bring extra water for you and a lawn chair. If you have TPMS you can see how the tire pressures change. You can borrow a gauge if you want to let some air out if they start to feel greasy.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:07 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
for firtst event think of your comfort more than of car`s. car most likely will be fine.
for yourself - bring a lot of water, a gallon on warm summer sunny day is a norm.
bring a lawn chair and golf umbrella if there is no shade/paddock where you can hide. sunblock. extra shirt to change, short pants to change if it`s hot.

as of tires - last lime rock event it was 105 degrees outside, track surface temp ws 137 degrees. if you would have tires at stock cold 33psi they would go above 50 hot.
you need to have a gauge. do your first sessions, then check pressure and if you have stock street tires - keep rear tires below 40psi, like 38psi hot is about OK and bleed fronts to be 2psi lower than rears. then after second session if you`ll feel your rear tires at 38psi are still too greacy, bleed off 2-5psi more. you`ll find a setting you`ll like the best eventually.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:08 AM
IAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond repute
1. Full tank
2. Your first event you will not run the car hard enough to affect the oil temps, so don't worry about that. You will be processing so much new information, your speeds will be much slower (though it won't seem like it to you).
3. Typically protecting the lights is the most critical. Most tracks are clean enough you won't pick up much damage if any.
4. Do not use the stock pressures, they are way too high and set for fuel economy. You want to set your pressures hot. I would guess cold you will be starting around 32/36 or something like that. See how it feels. Again, the first couple of sessions are throw away sessions in regards to that stuff as you are just learning the track and not pushing the car (we instruct our new students first sesssion slow pace, helmets off. 2nd session is helmets on, but again, it ends up being a fairly mild session again as students are still learning the line, etc. On Sunday or Saturday afternoon, you might start playing with tire pressures as you will be driving the car harder by then.
5. Have fun!

Old 07-27-2011, 08:06 AM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by IAPorscheDoc
1. Full tank
2. Your first event you will not run the car hard enough to affect the oil temps, so don't worry about that. You will be processing so much new information, your speeds will be much slower (though it won't seem like it to you).
3. Typically protecting the lights is the most critical. Most tracks are clean enough you won't pick up much damage if any.
4. Do not use the stock pressures, they are way too high and set for fuel economy. You want to set your pressures hot. I would guess cold you will be starting around 32/36 or something like that. See how it feels. Again, the first couple of sessions are throw away sessions in regards to that stuff as you are just learning the track and not pushing the car (we instruct our new students first sesssion slow pace, helmets off. 2nd session is helmets on, but again, it ends up being a fairly mild session again as students are still learning the line, etc. On Sunday or Saturday afternoon, you might start playing with tire pressures as you will be driving the car harder by then.
5. Have fun!
I mostly agree. Couple additions.

1. When you drop the tire pressure below spec, you may well get a "flat tyre!" warning. Don't sweat that.
2. Watch your fuel levels and fill up at lunchtime if needed (you and the car ). I can't make it through an whole track day on one tank.
3. Debris. I disagree with IPorscheDoc. The track will leave it's mark on your car where not protected -- the bumper, lights, hood and maybe mirrors. Not so much on the first day, but after a few you will notice it. I've been on three tracks and they've all kicked up enough stones to leave chips on the bumper and hood, sometimes quite large (like nickel size). One of the downsides of tracking is that you give up having a pristine car. Of course the more clearbra and tape you have on, the less that is. I'm also intrigued by the racing bra that Suncoast sells but haven't tried it. (I'm gonna eventually respray and clearbra). Either way, I think it's totally worth it, but you should go in with the right expectations.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:24 AM
IAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by KonaKai
I mostly agree. Couple additions.

3. Debris. I disagree with IPorscheDoc. The track will leave it's mark on your car where not protected -- the bumper, lights, hood and maybe mirrors. Not so much on the first day, but after a few you will notice it. I've been on three tracks and they've all kicked up enough stones to leave chips on the bumper and hood, sometimes quite large (like nickel size). One of the downsides of tracking is that you give up having a pristine car. Of course the more clearbra and tape you have on, the less that is. I'm also intrigued by the racing bra that Suncoast sells but haven't tried it. (I'm gonna eventually respray and clearbra). Either way, I think it's totally worth it, but you should go in with the right expectations.
Completely depends on the track. Our local track (HPT), you will be lucky if you only come away with only a rock chipped windshield. I just came back from Road America and there wasn't a mark on the car. We travel to 6-7 tracks a year and some are great and you don't worry about it (sure you will pick up some rubber marks that wipe off easily), and others you know to tape the heck out of everything.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:29 AM
jurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NorthVan
I have disagree with the tire pressure comment that PKing made. One of the most important things you can do is maintain a proper temperature. Your cold temperature will be determined by the ambient temperature, the tire itself, and the way you drive. I would ask you instructor for some pressure advice, and start checking it after the runs. You could get nitrogen put in to minimize your pressure change, but then you will need to have some available for the top up before the drive home.

Enjoy, it is so much fun!
Nitrogen is not the pressure factor. It is the fact that the nitrogen is a DRY gas. Very dry air is just as good to maintain tire pressure.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:35 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
for protection - i have clear bra in front and it covers hood fine.
for lights i got cheap covers from ebay and they work fine.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...Q5fAccessories

Old 07-27-2011, 09:01 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jurnes
Nitrogen is not the pressure factor. It is the fact that the nitrogen is a DRY gas. Very dry air is just as good to maintain tire pressure.
Sure very dry air is good at maintaining pressure, however when the air is compressed moisture gets into the system, unless you have a condenser in line to remove the moisture, it will always get into the tire.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:11 AM
Originally Posted by NorthVan
Sure very dry air is good at maintaining pressure, however when the air is compressed moisture gets into the system, unless you have a condenser in line to remove the moisture, it will always get into the tire.
i know some folks get dry compressed air at hospitals? not sure, i heard couple of times about it but honestly never cared much to memorize it. nor do i want to carry air tank around.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:23 AM
I would imagine that the setup that a hospital requires is over kill for car tires, it will not have any foreign mater at all in the O2 (moisture, oil, dirt).

I have a system at work that has a chiller and a filter inline to remove the moisture, and crap for some of my equipment. Not sure I would try to breathe it though.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:22 AM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Great suggestion by everyone already. I purchased a leather bra for my MB and it saves me time taping up the front end. Only had to tape up the lights. Other suggestion is put your car in gear and not used your e-brakes. Your brakes will get hot and you don't want it to warp. Open the rear hood and let your engine breath a little after every session. High tire pressure will cause it to feel slippery, like everyone has suggested, lower it a few psi front and back. Most important is just to have fun on your first time. There are usually lot of helpful people at the track, make some friends and learn.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Newbie going to first Track Event