997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Worth owning a Porsche 911 under the age of 25? financing...etc

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 02:58 PM
VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by CarFreak007
I'll probably be living with my parents first. Or if they plan to move to Europe then I'll just take my Porsche with me
So, am I the only one who noticed his comments above? Apparently he has answered his own question.

I sure all the people you manage to impress and are able to lure into your new ride will truly be impressed when you bring them back home to mommy and daddy's place.

That should seal the deal especially once they see your Toy Story II themed bedroom set and matching sheets.

The most impressive thing a 25 year old can do is establish their own independence. Trust me your peers will be more impressed with a well furnished apartment or condo in-conjunction with a new sub $40K vehicle and steady employment then living at home, jobless, and driving 911. If that's not the case you seriously need new friends.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do....I hope you can make it past your 90 day probationary period once you land your first big-boy job. For some reason I don't feel you'll make the first 90 days...it might be a little too much like work for you.

Last edited by VID997; 08-05-2011 at 08:56 AM.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:17 PM
Dr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of light
I'm old-fashioned. If you can write a check for it, buy it. If you have to borrow money, don't.

I stopped living at home when I was 17, so no comments there. What was that movie a few years ago - Failure To Launch? Might be a good one to rent.

Old 07-31-2011, 06:00 PM
surfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond repute
Qft. OP, doesn't living at home jack up your game with the ladies? Transformers bedsheets FTL.

Originally Posted by Dr. Bill:3274245
I'm old-fashioned. If you can write a check for it, buy it. If you have to borrow money, don't.

I stopped living at home when I was 17, so no comments there. What was that movie a few years ago - Failure To Launch? Might be a good one to rent.

Old 07-31-2011, 06:46 PM
element256 is infamous around these partselement256 is infamous around these parts
Now is an especially good time to look into investing. With the government debt bills in free fall and uncertainty on the horizon everything is plummeting and once a positive bill gets passed we are very likely to see a huge and quick bounceback in trading.
I sold my 911tt to start 2 new business ventures and though I do miss the car itself, I couldn't be happier at the moment no longer having someone else tell me how to do my own work.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:44 PM
CarFreak007 is infamous around these partsCarFreak007 is infamous around these partsCarFreak007 is infamous around these partsCarFreak007 is infamous around these partsCarFreak007 is infamous around these partsCarFreak007 is infamous around these partsCarFreak007 is infamous around these partsCarFreak007 is infamous around these partsCarFreak007 is infamous around these partsCarFreak007 is infamous around these partsCarFreak007 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by VID997
So, am I the only one who noticed his comments above? Apparently he has answered his own question.

I sure all the people you manage to impress and are able to lure into your new ride will truly be impressed when you bring them back home to mommy and daddy's place.

That should seal the deal especially once they see your Toy Story II themed bedroom set and matching sheets.

The most impressive thing a 25 year old can do is establish their own independence. Trust me your peers will be more impressed with a well furnished apartment or condo in-conjunction with a new sub $40K vehicle and steady employment then living at home, jobless, and driving 911. If that's not the case you seriously need new friends.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do....I hope you can make past your 90 day probationary period once you land your first big-boy job. For some reason I don't feel you'll make the first 90 days...it might be a little too much like work for you.
Im going to live in Europe. Im european, thats why I want to go back. Im not sure yet.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:54 PM
cavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to behold
Im going to live in Europe. Im european, thats why I want to go back. Im not sure yet.
Well unfortunately you get to read insulting posts in the meantime. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:57 PM
CarFreak007 is infamous around these partsCarFreak007 is infamous around these partsCarFreak007 is infamous around these partsCarFreak007 is infamous around these partsCarFreak007 is infamous around these partsCarFreak007 is infamous around these partsCarFreak007 is infamous around these partsCarFreak007 is infamous around these partsCarFreak007 is infamous around these partsCarFreak007 is infamous around these partsCarFreak007 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by cavsct94
Well unfortunately you get to read insulting posts in the meantime. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
Yeah, I really don't care.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:13 PM
gasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, I really don't care.
Well, sounds like you've made up your mind. It's your life, you can do what you want with it. Why don't you go buy that 911 tomorrow morning! To answer your original question, as long as you have a good credit score, have adequate income, and can show proof of income, it shouldn't be a problem. They want to sell you a car, after all. Good luck!

Old 07-31-2011, 09:44 PM
Registered PM
Abe Froman is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Dr. Bill
...and he drove a '73 911 I believe

Old 07-31-2011, 10:18 PM
turbosonoma is infamous around these parts
In my opinion, no house no porsche. If you can't afford to buy it outright, you shouldn't own it, sometimes financing just "makes sense" so that's another ball game. But then there's the other side of the fence, "you only live once", so do what makes you happy.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:32 AM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Another gen Y guy looking for instant gratification. About the only reasonable justification is a pro football contact or the like or graduating med school to become a surgeon. Good luck with that. These threads are tiring. If you take a US car to europe, you'll take a bath. No one wants a US spec car in Europe.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:41 AM
Comet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to all
Originally Posted by surfah
Qft. OP, doesn't living at home jack up your game with the ladies? Transformers bedsheets FTL.
I live alone and and any chick not down with my Star Wars collection can walk back home. :P (I have a bit of a Barney Stinson kind of place, but instead of a huge Storm Trooper, I have a huge Darth Vader)

Originally Posted by Dr. Bill
QFT! This is the only way to live properly.

@OP, I'm curious if this is your money or your parent's money? You remind me of someone on this forum who was going on about how he spent his Student Loans on a Porsche instead of an education.

While 100k$ isn't that much money when it comes to big boy toys, it still is more money than most people can ever to see in their lives. Weigh your money, and make a conscious choice. Putting yourself in debt for appearance is a sure fire way to put make you bankrupt. Everyone should live at their standards. I'd love to buy a McLaren MP-FaxMachine (as Clarkson puts it), but that car, for the time being is out of my price range. I could borrow the cash and buy it, but for what? is my car not good enough?
What do you currently drive OP? and why is it not good enough anymore!

Old 08-01-2011, 08:36 AM
texas355 has a spectacular aura abouttexas355 has a spectacular aura abouttexas355 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by cavsct94
Hopefully you read my previous comment. You see what i mean? You should expect the anwser when you ask to be different.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:46 PM
mseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of light
Buy a porsche 993 model. You can buy a killer car with low miles for about $35,000. You might spend a bit more on maintenance, but they're not expensive and they seem to have already bottomed out on the depreciation curve.
I can't see buying a $100,000 car unless everything else is in order. A 997 certainly is a fun car, but there's nothing fun about lying awake at night worrying about your finances.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:33 PM
khyber is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by VID997

Good luck with whatever you decide to do....I hope you can make past your 90 day probationary period once you land your first big-boy job. For some reason I don't feel you'll make the first 90 days...it might be a little too much like work for you.
Just for the record, I'm under 25. Not by a whole lot, but wanted to mention that. Let me preface this all by saying that when I was 19, I bought a car I sure as hell could not afford. The reason I'm responding to your post specifically is because yours seems the most aggressive and the least productive (Plus, it just hit a nerve). If you want to teach him a lesson, how about leveling with him, instead of talking down?

Not that I'm for or against the OP in any particular way, but here's my $0.02: I sincerely doubt the OP is trying to impress you, and I hope he's not trying to impress anyone else (and if I remember correctly, he didn't ask "will people be impressed with me if I buy a Porsche?"). And I can only speak for myself (though I do believe most people here agree, which is, well... why we're here!)... but when I buy my first 911, it will have absolutely nothing to do with any judgement anyone will pass on me. I'm not concerned with whether they are impressed, appalled, or anything in between. A 911 to me is just the vehicle I want to drive. It isn't about prestige, it's about motorsports. There are exceptions to every rule, but my point here is: If people are active enough to post on this website, the least you can do is give them the benefit of the doubt as far as believing they are truly interested in driving a 911 for the experience and not for the label.

Hey, if somebody's got Toy Story 2 (out of curiosity, what made you pick number 2 instead of 1 or 3? ) bedsheets at age 25, living in their parents' house, twenty bucks says the sheets are coming with them when they move out, so clearly that's a non-issue.

It's pretty hard to respond to the job comment. I guess it just sounds to me like somebody woke up on the wrong side of the bed!

Hope I didn't go off too far. I just feel like you're treating naiveté as idiocy. Were you always as wise as you are now?

Back to the OP's question. Coming from experience, be very careful what you get yourself into financially, especially buying cars. Many people here have already said (in so many words) that "afford" is clearly a relative term. You just need to make sure you've got your priorities in order. Being very close in age to you (or possibly even the same age), I understand how or why you would feel that a 911 is high on the list. I'm in the same boat. I made the mistake of financing a vehicle I thought I could afford, and once that starts going wrong, it very quickly snowballs. The best advice anyone can give you is just to be hyper-aware of any possible costs involved. Tracking that information is by no means an easy task being so young, therefore more than likely, inexperienced, but it is possible. And regardless of the negative comments you receive here or elsewhere, keep asking questions. Call me redundant but you will not find the answers otherwise!

Like I said, I've bought a car I couldn't afford before, and not only is it extremely unpleasant to be caught in that financial situation, but it's miserable knowing that car you're so passionate about is causing it (well... It wasn't exactly the car's fault in my case ). So when it comes down to it, double, triple, and quadruple check your cost analysis. Then do it again! You can't ever be too sure. Especially at this age.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Worth owning a Porsche 911 under the age of 25? financing...etc