997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Worth owning a Porsche 911 under the age of 25? financing...etc

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 05:42 AM
Howie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to behold
Bought my 997.2 before owning.. Wait, I still don't have my own place... Meh, people think the car is my dad's, hah! I wish it were true, then I wouldn't be paying it off!

I don't care that people see I don't have my own place. Truth is, most think mine is a brilliant idea. I live with my missus in her parents place while they're not in the country, it's basically ours. Mainly I just repond by saying "I have two words: NO KIDS" and then they nod with the epiphany of realising why they can't afford one of their own.

Mind you, although I don't own my own house, but I've since bought 6 residential properties as investments (here in Australia) as I don't put much value in living in my own property since it would turn it into a liability... A $250K Porsche is enough liability!

I bought the 997.2 to impress ME, couldn't care less for what others think, they can make up whatever excuses they want to justify their life decisions over my supposed idiocy, it's theirs to make.

Live life, enjoy it because it's short!

Old 08-24-2011, 11:07 AM
cosmokr is infamous around these parts
Be warned - after you own one of these cars it makes driving anything else not so enjoyable. I'm 24 and my 07 Turbo has made driving anything else tedious.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:56 PM
element256 is infamous around these partselement256 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by cosmokr
Be warned - after you own one of these cars it makes driving anything else not so enjoyable. I'm 24 and my 07 Turbo has made driving anything else tedious.
I agree. I don't currently have a car because everything I've tried since just seems like a complete waste of money so I'm stockpiling and waiting to find the right 997 as of now.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:23 PM
Howie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to behold
Yes very true! I was warned about this and laughed it off but now it would be nigh impossible to accept any less. If I had to 'downgrade' I may as well take public transport.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:43 PM
element256 is infamous around these partselement256 is infamous around these parts
I use a bicycle right now lol

Old 08-24-2011, 06:34 PM
AMG101 is infamous around these parts
You can't live at home!! Girls man girls!!!

Old 08-24-2011, 10:06 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Howie
Bought my 997.2 before owning.. Wait, I still don't have my own place... Meh, people think the car is my dad's, hah! I wish it were true, then I wouldn't be paying it off!

I don't care that people see I don't have my own place. Truth is, most think mine is a brilliant idea. I live with my missus in her parents place while they're not in the country, it's basically ours. Mainly I just repond by saying "I have two words: NO KIDS" and then they nod with the epiphany of realising why they can't afford one of their own.

Mind you, although I don't own my own house, but I've since bought 6 residential properties as investments (here in Australia) as I don't put much value in living in my own property since it would turn it into a liability... A $250K Porsche is enough liability!

I bought the 997.2 to impress ME, couldn't care less for what others think, they can make up whatever excuses they want to justify their life decisions over my supposed idiocy, it's theirs to make.

Live life, enjoy it because it's short!
I guess I'll be the bad guy here. That is just sad, I don't care if you own a building in Manhattan and drives a ferrari. Living in her parent's house is just . Man up, get your own place, if a house is too much liability than get an apt. But you don't care what I think You are ballin out of control living at the missus parent's house.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:22 AM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
I've only glanced at this thread, but will jump in with a quick comment.

To each his own, but IMO getting an expensive car at a young age is impulsive and short-sighted, unless you can really afford it (which means decent savings every year). Sure, you only live once, but chances are that you'll live at least 70 years. If you're in your twenties, consider pacing yourself and saving some indulgences for the future.

Cars are nice. Financial security is better.

Last edited by Manifold; 08-25-2011 at 06:24 AM.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:37 AM
cosmokr is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Manifold

To each his own, but IMO getting an expensive car at a young age is impulsive and short-sighted, unless you can really afford it (which means decent savings every year). Sure, you only live once, but chances are that you'll live at least 70 years. If you're in your twenties, consider pacing yourself and saving some indulgences for the future.

If you can fit it into your budget and still comfortably set yourself up for the coming years, why would you not? Suggestions that say buy a house first are completely ridiculous, especially in Toronto - look what happened to our friends to the south that had most of their net work tied up in their home.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:46 AM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cosmokr
If you can fit it into your budget and still comfortably set yourself up for the coming years, why would you not? Suggestions that say buy a house first are completely ridiculous, especially in Toronto - look what happened to our friends to the south that had most of their net work tied up in their home.
We don't disagree on your first point. I said that a young person shouldn't get an expensive car unless they can afford it, which means being able to save some money each year. If you're rich and love cars, go for it.

As far as buying a house, I didn't comment on that, but I think it's generally a good idea as long as you don't buy high. My house value is down about 25% from its peak, but it's still worth almost double what I paid for it because I bought it in the mid 1990s. In the 2 or 3 years before the housing bubble burst, I warned family members about buying houses at that time, but they didn't listen ...

Last edited by Manifold; 08-25-2011 at 07:49 AM.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:55 AM
texas355 has a spectacular aura abouttexas355 has a spectacular aura abouttexas355 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Manifold

I agree with you completely. You should only splurge on a car if you are financially secure.

I think the OP opened a can of worms by not specifying his situation beyond his age. People assume he is average, and the average 25 year-old should not get a car like this. He could be very abnormal.

That being said, I hope to erase this objective-less thread from memory.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:07 AM
But he's not staying "with" his GF parents, he's staying at their house alone while their out of the Country half the year.
Who wouldn't want a nice house for free to live in alone?
No mortgage\taxes\insurance etc...

I would take that in a heartbeat, however when they come home I'd go get a 6month lease somewhere else till they left again

Live within your means, have fun and enjoy the fruits of your labor!

Old 08-25-2011, 02:03 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
If ya really have to ask total strangers if you should or should not buy a car based on your age... clearly you're not mature, secure (financially) or confident enough to make any decisions which may impact your standard of life.

Since the OP has clearly shown he already had his mind made up before posting the question, the whole thing is rhetorical (wast of time), period.

He'll just keep the GT2 avatar, it costs less

Old 08-25-2011, 04:21 PM
mseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Psycho Sid
If ya really have to ask total strangers if you should or should not buy a car based on your age... clearly you're not mature, secure (financially) or confident enough to make any decisions which may impact your standard of life.

People ask Suze Orman's opinion all the time. The segment about whether or not people can afford stuff is really entertaining.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:44 PM
Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Psycho Sid

Since the OP has clearly shown he already had his mind made up before posting the question, the whole thing is rhetorical (wast of time), period.

He'll just keep the GT2 avatar, it costs less
Very true. If he is asking a bunch of strangers about what to do, then he really doesn't have things sorted out financially.

Originally Posted by mseligson
People ask Suze Orman's opinion all the time. The segment about whether or not people can afford stuff is really entertaining.
I love watching her deny people. It is really satisfying. I am seriously thinking about calling her about buying a 991 and watch her begrudgingly approve my purchase. Haha, that would funny and an actually fun exercise in futility.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Worth owning a Porsche 911 under the age of 25? financing...etc