997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Brutal - 2nd Accident in 6 Months..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 12:03 PM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
Brutal - 2nd Accident in 6 Months..

Ok so as some of you know I leased (24mth) this car in hopes that in 2 years time (December 2012) I would go to a 991 etc. Well out of the 7 months I have owned paying 2k+ on a monthly lease I have only driven it for 4 - the other time its been in the shop. Luckily my wife and I are healthy and good but its getting frustrating and has put a little bad taste in my mouth. No structural damage on either hit (they say) and Porsche Finance says no problem returning at the end as long as it passes their check-in process. Usually I buy my cars and leasing this one has almost been a blessing disguise - can you image what 2 "car fax" accidents (no fault of mine) would do to the value??

Anyhow needless to say I am getting annoyed and really don't understand how such a thing of beauty could get so tarnished. I have that weird bad taste in my mouth for the car and really considering dumping the lease off to someone else (rolling eyes). Its like that time when you were dating and the first big fall out you worked it out and got closer then the 2nd one you had that weird empty feeling in your stomach.

Oh ya .. the CRV that barreled through us actually hit a motorcyclist first and then proceeded to keep the gas on full after she made contact with us; I had to pull the handbrake to stop the car from going into the intersection. These cars are tanks! Its a busy intersection and I was again reminded how stunning the car is that almost everyone stopped and said something or had this weird (poor Porsche) look on their faces.

On fence and will decide when I get it back in 3+ weeks..

Attached Images      

Last edited by uhn2000; 08-03-2011 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:12 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
sorry to sound harsh - this particular car got quite a bad luck, get rid of it and get another one. it is just a car, you have no obligations.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:22 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
on the other side of the coin...this one has been hit twice and no one has been hurt...sounds like a lucky car to me, with all the bad luck behind it

Old 08-03-2011, 12:31 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Uhn -- I'm really sorry to hear it. Yeah it stinks to make payments while your car is in the shop, but it's going to look like new and you're not taking the depreciation hit, so it's not that bad at all.

I've driven most other 997 varieties and would not trade my Targa for any of them. They all feel a bit claustrophobic once you're used to the glass roof. What I'm saying is don't do anything rash like trade in for a C4S because you want out and because T4S's (especially .2's) are hard to come by. Then you'll feel even worse.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:50 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by GT3 Chuck
on the other side of the coin...this one has been hit twice and no one has been hurt...sounds like a lucky car to me, with all the bad luck behind it
nah. co-worker of mine had similar BS story - never had accident in 13 years, then got new A4 audi, had 2 collisions in single year then tree branch fell on its top, after that he sold it, got A6 and still drives it for 4 years now without a single issue. same work, same route - all same. go figure.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:51 PM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by KonaKai
Uhn -- I'm really sorry to hear it. Yeah it stinks to make payments while your car is in the shop, but it's going to look like new and you're not taking the depreciation hit, so it's not that bad at all.

I've driven most other 997 varieties and would not trade my Targa for any of them. They all feel a bit claustrophobic once you're used to the glass roof. What I'm saying is don't do anything rash like trade in for a C4S because you want out and because T4S's (especially .2's) are hard to come by. Then you'll feel even worse.
Such a good point you bring up because my wife asked "ok so what would you get?" .. I said another Targa, she laughed! My favourite car of all time - and my favourite 911 variant; its the best compromise of all worlds combined.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:52 PM
Originally Posted by utkinpol
nah. co-worker of mine had similar BS story - never had accident in 13 years, then got new A4 audi, had 2 collisions in single year then tree branch fell on its top, after that he sold it, got A6 and still drives it for 4 years now without a single issue. same work, same route - all same. go figure.
Wow.. nuts. Well I thought I just wait for strike 3 and then call it quits. Seriously the thing that hurts more then anything is the fact that I was really considering buying this car out at the end of the lease; now this!

Old 08-03-2011, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by GT3 Chuck
+1 ... definitely an amazingly safe car.. seriously these things are built to withstand so much and I hope to never test it more!

Old 08-03-2011, 01:03 PM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
Some cars seem to be accident magnets. I have own two of those. Not fun. None of the accidents were we at fault.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:18 PM
sizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond repute
Glad you're OK.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:20 PM
surfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond repute
That Targa is bad news, I would get rid of it even is replacing with another Targa. It is only a machine and replaceable, your life is priceless and irreplaceable. I am glad you were not injured, these Porsches are solid.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:27 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by surfah
That Targa is bad news, I would get rid of it even is replacing with another Targa.
I assume you don't mean that there is actually something physical/tangible wrong with this car that attracts accidents...

SO you're saying that you're so superstitious (or rich) that you would pay, let's estimate, $10-20k to trade one Targa for another (assuming apples to apples MY's etc.)???

Old 08-03-2011, 02:32 PM
JohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud of
Thank god that you are OK!

There are too many crappy drivers out there to even count them all. The only 2 cars that I had accidents with were both silver or grey. I almost went out and bought a yellow car!!
My S4 got hit on a monthly basis....deer, turkeys (really), cars, and finally an 18-wheeler!! I sold it and have not been hit again. Maybe there is something to "bad luck" theory!

Anyway, good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Old 08-03-2011, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by KonaKai
I assume you don't mean that there is actually something physical/tangible wrong with this car that attracts accidents...

SO you're saying that you're so superstitious (or rich) that you would pay, let's estimate, $10-20k to trade one Targa for another (assuming apples to apples MY's etc.)???
i am superstitious enough to trust those things. some sh$t does happen for no reason. i`ve seen enough if this in my life.

Old 08-03-2011, 02:51 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
That's terrible.. sorry to hear.

good thing no one got hurt and u have insurance.

it sucks, tho, when u r making pymt on a car sitting in a repair shop.. (been there, done that..lol)

i always thought bad things happen in two, so i would just enjoy the Targa when it comes back from the reputable body shop.

the 24-month lease will be over before u know it.. and u can decide what to do then.

BOL

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Brutal - 2nd Accident in 6 Months..