997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997.2 Exhaust: FVD “BROMBACHER” Street-Sport PDK (Cat-back) Vs. Tubi Style Cat-back?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 10:37 AM
Arerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant future
997.2 Exhaust: FVD “BROMBACHER” Street-Sport PDK (Cat-back) Vs. Tubi Style Cat-back?

Just would like to hear your opinions on the two exhaust systems. I have a 2010 C4 PDK, so at this stage, I'm only looking at a cat-back system due to warranty considerations.

What am I looking for in an exhaust?

1, Sound. A GT3 cup car like sound without the drone, ZERO interior drone if possible. Like a factory Ferrari exhaust, slight growl at idle and cruising speed, gets louder as the rpm climbs, and finally race car sound at WOT.

2, Weight saving.

3, Performance gain.

4, Build quality.

FVD “BROMBACHER” Street-Sport PDK Muffler for 2009- 997.2 / 997.2S:
http://www.fvd.de/de/en/Porsche-0/99...ess_steel.html

Tubi Style - Porsche 997.2 Exhaust System
http://www.championmotorsport.com/pr...i-997-2-ex.htm

Also note, I would probably upgrade the headers and cats as well in the future when the factory warranty expires, so maybe it's best to get a system that is "future proof" - mates up to aftermarket headers and cats without too much modifications. I'm looking at something like this, FVD Header-Cat-System 997 09- (Headers 70mm with 200 Cell HD Catatytics)

Anyone has experience with both or either of the systems? Which do you think would be most suitable for what I'm looking for? Any other comments and feedbacks are welcome.

Cheers

Old 08-10-2011, 11:38 AM
JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !
Cant go wrong with either exhaust, they are both well built but it depends on your taste... Tubi sounds a bit on the higher pitch side w/crackling noises when downshift, FVD has a bit more grunts / throatier sound. A friend of mine is selling his Tubi system for 997.2 if you are interested. :-)

Last edited by JmanE55; 08-10-2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:10 PM
ravendog is infamous around these parts
Does anyone know if Tubi plans on developing headers/cats for the 997.2?

Old 08-10-2011, 06:40 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
I had an FVD cat-back on my 09 Cayman S PDK. Great sound! Nice rumble at idle with increasing sound level going WOT. It also has a nice cackle on downshifts with the PDK. I have a Tubi cat-back on my 997.2S 6 speed. Great sound as well. Louder on a cold start and settles in to a nice rumble once warmed up. No drone on the road at cruising speeds. Nice sound at WOT. I went with the Tubi because I got a great deal.

If I were buying new even up I'd go with the FVD system. As I understand it you can add the headers and sport cats later. I'd suggest calling FVD and talking with Rhonda about what you want to do. You'll find many positive comments across several boards relating to her outstanding customer service.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:15 PM
dr_fcdug is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by JmanE55
Cant go wrong with either exhaust, they are both well built but it depends on your taste... Tubi sounds a bit on the higher pitch side w/crackling noises when downshift, FVD has a bit more grunts / throatier sound. A friend of mine is selling his Tubi system for 997.2 if you are interested. :-)
Selling the tubi system for how much? and out of where?

Old 08-11-2011, 12:17 AM
PFW_06C4S is infamous around these parts
The GT3 cup car sound is intoxicating. I know Afterhours Automotive ($1,100), GMG ($2,200-2,500) and Fabspeed Motorsports ($895) makes cup style exhausts - these are high flow and low weight designs. They all look like HQ pieces. If drone is an issue for you, these may not be it for you, especially if you are thinking about adding headers and/or cats later. Fabspeed even has a disclaimer recommending use only on the track

I am in the process of getting stock mufflers modified for sound (ie: gundo or fister mod) - I have took off the mufflers and started up the car - the cats are where the restriction and power is.... the car sounded like a GT3 cup car during idle and with revs, it crackles and screams! Awesome....

I spoke to a few mechanics and a few Porsche techs, all say the same thing - dont waste your money on that stuff. You will like it when you first buy the exhaust, but will get sick of the loudness. If it is a daily driver, you may want to think twice. If it is a weekend machine, you can pick and choose when you drive it. If you have had performance exhausts in the past and you enjoy the sounds, then you are already there! I am going for the modified mufflers as I have to stay budget minded ($250 with the donor mufflers) - got a sweet deal on ebay.

Have you also considered the Cargraphic? This has different sound levels and seems to be the closest to the original air cooled sounding models. Tubi sounds seem to emulate more of the Italian variety - more like Ferrari - who ever said that was a bad sound!?!

Enjoy the research and final mode...to me, the research is half the fun!

Old 08-11-2011, 12:47 AM
Alex K is infamous around these parts
I'm not sure if there is a huge difference in sound between the 997 and the 997.2 but you can have a look at my resend thread if you want to hear the Tubi System. Are you sure that you will loose your warranty? A few years ago Porsche SA were strict, only Techart, but now after much pressure buyers are allowed to install other aftermarket systems. Maybe try Techart. You shouldn't loose anything if you install Techart.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:22 AM
vraxinus is infamous around these partsvraxinus is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Arerrac911
Just would like to hear your opinions on the two exhaust systems. I have a 2010 C4 PDK, so at this stage, I'm only looking at a cat-back system due to warranty considerations.

What am I looking for in an exhaust?

1, Sound. A GT3 cup car like sound without the drone, ZERO interior drone if possible. Like a factory Ferrari exhaust, slight growl at idle and cruising speed, gets louder as the rpm climbs, and finally race car sound at WOT.

2, Weight saving.

3, Performance gain.

4, Build quality.

FVD “BROMBACHER” Street-Sport PDK Muffler for 2009- 997.2 / 997.2S:
http://www.fvd.de/de/en/Porsche-0/99...ess_steel.html

Tubi Style - Porsche 997.2 Exhaust System
http://www.championmotorsport.com/pr...i-997-2-ex.htm

Also note, I would probably upgrade the headers and cats as well in the future when the factory warranty expires, so maybe it's best to get a system that is "future proof" - mates up to aftermarket headers and cats without too much modifications. I'm looking at something like this, FVD Header-Cat-System 997 09- (Headers 70mm with 200 Cell HD Catatytics)

Anyone has experience with both or either of the systems? Which do you think would be most suitable for what I'm looking for? Any other comments and feedbacks are welcome.

Cheers
I'm in the same position as you, i'm thinking of TUBI or FVD for my C2S.
Like what JmanE55 said Tubi sounds more towards Italian (high pitch sound) and FVD sounds more towards Germans (Deep throatier sound).

There are more TUBI out there rather than FVD from my research. But FVD provides more HP gain than TUBI, if i'm not mistaken.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:11 AM
Bonerwall is infamous around these parts
I have the FVD Street Sport PDK CAT-Back system on my 2009 C4S and I absolutely love it. It sounds fantastic, doesn't drone, and definitely feel the +18HP that they advertise. I made a post on this forum back on 11-28-2010 titled "New FVD Street-Sport Mufflers on a 2009 997.2 C4S - REVIEW" Take a look at that to get some more insight into the FVD system.

I agree with both JmanE55 and Alan C. Both the FVD and Tubi systems are outstanding, quality products with very similar GT3 type sounds (I think the FVD is a bit deeper), no drone, and similar prices (I think the FVD is a bit less expensive). I know the FVD gets +18 HP but I have never seen any performance boost quotes for the TUBI system. But I think the big advantage of the FVD system is that they have both headers and 200-cell CATs available for a complete system to fill your needs after the warranty expires. I don't think TUBI yet offers those items. And the last plus for FVD is their customer support - Rhonda at FVD is a delight to work with. I can't say enough good things about her knowledge and helpfullness with all things PORSCHE.

Good luck in your decision. I hope this helps.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:43 PM
Arerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by JmanE55
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I don't think I will be disappointed with either exhaust sound wise, neither build quality, that's why I have narrowed down the research to these two systems.

Originally Posted by ravendog
Does anyone know if Tubi plans on developing headers/cats for the 997.2?
They have headers available for the 997.1, so I guess they would be developing something similar for the 997.2.

Originally Posted by Alan C.
I had an FVD cat-back on my 09 Cayman S PDK. Great sound! Nice rumble at idle with increasing sound level going WOT. It also has a nice cackle on downshifts with the PDK. I have a Tubi cat-back on my 997.2S 6 speed. Great sound as well. Louder on a cold start and settles in to a nice rumble once warmed up. No drone on the road at cruising speeds. Nice sound at WOT. I went with the Tubi because I got a great deal.

If I were buying new even up I'd go with the FVD system. As I understand it you can add the headers and sport cats later. I'd suggest calling FVD and talking with Rhonda about what you want to do. You'll find many positive comments across several boards relating to her outstanding customer service.
Thanks. It's good to have confirmation that both are great sounding system, although this does make my decision more difficult.

Yeah I have dealt with Rhonda before, can't be more pleased with her customer service. I will in contact with her surely.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by PFW_06C4S
The GT3 cup car sound is intoxicating. I know Afterhours Automotive ($1,100), GMG ($2,200-2,500) and Fabspeed Motorsports ($895) makes cup style exhausts - these are high flow and low weight designs. They all look like HQ pieces. If drone is an issue for you, these may not be it for you, especially if you are thinking about adding headers and/or cats later. Fabspeed even has a disclaimer recommending use only on the track

I am in the process of getting stock mufflers modified for sound (ie: gundo or fister mod) - I have took off the mufflers and started up the car - the cats are where the restriction and power is.... the car sounded like a GT3 cup car during idle and with revs, it crackles and screams! Awesome....

I spoke to a few mechanics and a few Porsche techs, all say the same thing - dont waste your money on that stuff. You will like it when you first buy the exhaust, but will get sick of the loudness. If it is a daily driver, you may want to think twice. If it is a weekend machine, you can pick and choose when you drive it. If you have had performance exhausts in the past and you enjoy the sounds, then you are already there! I am going for the modified mufflers as I have to stay budget minded ($250 with the donor mufflers) - got a sweet deal on ebay.

Have you also considered the Cargraphic? This has different sound levels and seems to be the closest to the original air cooled sounding models. Tubi sounds seem to emulate more of the Italian variety - more like Ferrari - who ever said that was a bad sound!?!

Enjoy the research and final mode...to me, the research is half the fun!
Research is half the fun indeed! I've thoroughly enjoyed reading some of the exhaust reviews posted by members of this site, each time, making me more eager to get a new exhaust!

Yeah cup style exhausts are not for me, I'm just after a street exhaust that would give me a taste of cup car sound at WOT. I agree gundo mod works just as well, I have it on my 986 S, but for the C4 I also wanted to reduced a bit of weight by going aftermarket.

Thanks for mentioning Cargraphic, I like the idea of going close to the original air cooled sounding models, would definitely look into it!

Originally Posted by Alex K
I'm not sure if there is a huge difference in sound between the 997 and the 997.2 but you can have a look at my resend thread if you want to hear the Tubi System. Are you sure that you will loose your warranty? A few years ago Porsche SA were strict, only Techart, but now after much pressure buyers are allowed to install other aftermarket systems. Maybe try Techart. You shouldn't loose anything if you install Techart.
From what I have read so far, there is a noticeable difference in sound or tone between 997.1 and 997.2 due to DFI.

Word from my dealer was that a cat-back system is acceptable but they might be hesitant if the original cats were touched.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:27 AM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
Hey Arerrac, we have a few different setups that could accomplish the sound that you'r looking for. The recommend setup for most street cars, is our Primary Muffler bypass pipe with our Maxflo mufflers for a great sporty and deep sound, without any drone or being too loud. If you are looking for something a little more aggressive, I recommend doing the side muffler bypass pipes with the stock primary muffler, so it wont be too crazy loud, but sound aggressive and mean. In addition to saving lots of weight off the rear end and making some HP gains. Here are a few videos of the setups we have. Let me know if you are interested and I will give a great member deal on the upgrades.
thanks,

The car has the stock headers in all these videos.

Fabspeed 2ndary Side Muffler Bypass and Stock Primary Muffler:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYTcn_U8_dQ

Fabspeed Primary Muffler Bypass and 2ndary Side Muffler Bypass: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrX-eVxGTrU

Fabspeed Primary Muffler Bypass and 2ndary Maxflo Sport Mufflers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4HbDRh3FvM

Last edited by Fabspeed Motorsport; 08-12-2011 at 08:53 AM.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:03 PM
Does anyone know the tubing diameter of the Tubi system?

Old 08-12-2011, 02:13 PM
JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Arerrac911
Does anyone know the tubing diameter of the Tubi system?
A friend is trying to sell his Tubi system for 997.2 C2S. I'll ask him to measure and get back to you.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by vraxinus
I'm in the same position as you, i'm thinking of TUBI or FVD for my C2S.
Like what JmanE55 said Tubi sounds more towards Italian (high pitch sound) and FVD sounds more towards Germans (Deep throatier sound).

There are more TUBI out there rather than FVD from my research. But FVD provides more HP gain than TUBI, if i'm not mistaken.
I would think HP difference will be minimum (maybe 2 or 3 hp max?) as they are both just cat back systems, the biggest gain would be in the cats and headers.

Let me know which system you decide on.

Originally Posted by Bonerwall
I have the FVD Street Sport PDK CAT-Back system on my 2009 C4S and I absolutely love it. It sounds fantastic, doesn't drone, and definitely feel the +18HP that they advertise. I made a post on this forum back on 11-28-2010 titled "New FVD Street-Sport Mufflers on a 2009 997.2 C4S - REVIEW" Take a look at that to get some more insight into the FVD system.

I agree with both JmanE55 and Alan C. Both the FVD and Tubi systems are outstanding, quality products with very similar GT3 type sounds (I think the FVD is a bit deeper), no drone, and similar prices (I think the FVD is a bit less expensive). I know the FVD gets +18 HP but I have never seen any performance boost quotes for the TUBI system. But I think the big advantage of the FVD system is that they have both headers and 200-cell CATs available for a complete system to fill your needs after the warranty expires. I don't think TUBI yet offers those items. And the last plus for FVD is their customer support - Rhonda at FVD is a delight to work with. I can't say enough good things about her knowledge and helpfullness with all things PORSCHE.

Good luck in your decision. I hope this helps.
Thanks, yes I have read your review on the FVD cat-back system, it actually was what convinced me to look into the FVD exhaust in the first place!

A concern I have about adding FVD headers and CATs at a later stage was, for the FVD Header-Cat-System the tubing diameter is 2 3/4", but for the PDK Cat-back system it has a smaller 2 1/2" diameter tubing. Ideally, you want the whole system to have the same diameter tubing. If you looked at the FVD FULL EXHAUST SYSTEM it does have an uniform 2 3/4" diameter tubing.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997.2 Exhaust: FVD “BROMBACHER” Street-Sport PDK (Cat-back) Vs. Tubi Style Cat-back?