997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Looking for Opinions..BMW to Porsche..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 01:08 PM
saeyedoc is infamous around these partssaeyedoc is infamous around these parts
If you decide on an M3, try to hold out for an '09+ if you plan on getting idrive, big change that year, supposed to be much better.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:12 PM
540Oak is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by saeyedoc
If you decide on an M3, try to hold out for an '09+ if you plan on getting idrive, big change that year, supposed to be much better.
thx saeyedoc, I have a '11 135 so I have the new iDrive..to be honest I dont find it much better than the older one I had in my '06 330. Had I have know I would have saved myself some money and went for a older one as the new iDrive was the reason for me to purchase new...I know, stupid BUT I like the techy stuff..

Old 08-12-2011, 02:24 PM
Scoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by 540Oak
BUT I like the techy stuff..
Hmm sounds like you wouldn't be too happy unless you got into a 09+ PCar with the PCM upgrade then... (as I hinted at in my prior post)

Old 08-12-2011, 02:50 PM
thxbuff2001 is infamous around these parts
It would be a difficult choice just because an M3 made to be different to a Pcar.

Either one is a good car, but both are not perfect for every situation.

In my Pcar, I know now that sometimes you cannot exit a gasoline station or a restaurant the way you came in. Your bumper can get scraped, those kinda of things. A M car, it has the clearance to do anything except offroading. Its not for grocery duties but I can use it if I want. Porsche, probably 1 plastic bag.

Which is more fun to drive. I think both. A V8 sounds intoxicating. You do not need to add an aftermarket exhaust to hear it.

You can't go wrong on either one.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:57 PM
saeyedoc is infamous around these partssaeyedoc is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by thxbuff2001
. Porsche, probably 1 plastic bag.

Not a Cayman. I can get a big case of TP, case of water and weekly groceries in there no problem.

Old 08-12-2011, 03:11 PM
IslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of light
I was and still am a BMW and M-car fanatic. I have had 8 or 9 BMWs in the last 25 years, and was even President of my BMWCCA chapter. I still have a E30 M3, an E39 M5 and my wife has a 4.4 X5...but 4 months ago I bought a 06 C2S and I love driving it to death. Unless I need the backseat I always choose the 911 over the M cars each morning. The sensations are different..the feel of the brakes, clutch and steering...but in a good way. The car is just plain fun to drive, with a great balance of power, handling, and comfort. I have had BMWs that I had modified in the past that were quicker and handled better (via aftermarket coilovers, etc..), but completely stock I have no complaints about the move to a 911 with the possible exception of the learning curve of servicing a vehicle from a new (to me) manufacturer.

Given the current development of BMW Mcars and their increased artificiality I don't see myself moving back to BMW any time soon. The current lineup leaves me pretty cold, with the possible exception of the 1M, which I have not driven.

Last edited by IslandS62; 08-12-2011 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:50 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by IslandS62
I was and still am a BMW and M-car fanatic. I have had 8 or 9 BMWs in the last 25 years, and was even President of my BMWCCA chapter. I still have a E30 M3, an E39 M5 and my wife has a 4.4 X5...but 4 months ago I bought a 06 C2S and I love driving it to death. Unless I need the backseat I always choose the 911 over the M cars each morning. The sensations are different..the feel of the brakes, clutch and steering...but in a good way. The car is just plain fun to drive, with a great balance of power, handling, and comfort. I have had BMWs that I had modified in the past that were quicker and handled better (via aftermarket coilovers, etc..), but completely stock I have no complaints about the move to a 911 with the possible exception of the learning curve of servicing a vehicle from a new (to me) manufacturer.

Given the current development of BMW Mcars and their increased artificiality I don't see myself moving back to BMW any time soon. The current lineup leaves me pretty cold, with the possible exception of the 1M, which I have not driven.
All of this resonates with me.

I think that the 911 is great not because any single aspect stands out, but rather because of the way everything comes together. When you sit in the car, everything just feels right. When you drive it, even more so. The car really reflects its half century of engineering development. If you start with a good idea and then keep tweaking and tweaking, you can wind up with something really great, especially if Germans are the ones doing it.

I also agree that BMW has been moving in the wrong direction, at least as far as what enthusiasts want (yes, I know BMW is German too). By introducing so much sophisticated technology, they've moved away from the raw sporting excellence of previous generations which (almost) justified the "ultimate driving machine" claim. My old 3-series convertible from the mid 90s was more fun than any of the BMWs I've test driven in the past year. The 1M may be an exception to the recent trend (I haven't driven one either), which makes it all the more crazy that they're only producing a few hundred of them.

Old 08-12-2011, 04:52 PM
surfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond repute
Not a Cayman. I can get a big case of TP, case of water and weekly groceries in there no problem.
I do Sam's Club runs with my 911. With the rear seats folded I can get in a case of Stella, case of Aloha Maid lilikoi juice, 2 magnums of GG, 36 rolls of TP, and groceries no problem. If I was getting a flat screen TV then I would use the Element.

Old 08-12-2011, 04:55 PM
Smoking Rotors is infamous around these parts
Yes, it's much better.

OP:

Of the variety of cars we drive, the M3 4 door is the most versitile and easiest to go fast out of the box with the PDK. It's a great sounding car too.

VS. the 911, IMHO, the M3 is the more comfortable car and can handle groceries and passengers.

I read somewhere that BMW is winding down production on the M3 4 door.

On the otherhand, if you are a hoolagan, get the 911. It's more mayhem inducing.

Both cars are great.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:55 PM
thxbuff2001 is infamous around these parts

And if you a C4S, the front trunk is even smaller. That is why I have to sell my luggage liner which I bought for my C2S.

I am sure you can probably use the space available in the trunk and cabin to transport anything it can fit, but that is why I bought my RRS.

When I had to fit my lawn mower in the trunk of my 4dr Accord, it was time to get an SUV.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:58 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Search the board for M3, you will find many threads. I went from M3 to '07 997S, back to M3. You've gotta get the 2011 though to get the Competition package. No use posting a lot here - it's already been said. The M3 is a better daily, but a 997 is a great car. Best to own both, or at least each one at different times!

Old 08-12-2011, 11:21 PM
540Oak is infamous around these parts
thx again for all your replies!

Old 08-13-2011, 11:22 AM
henrysko is infamous around these partshenrysko is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by IslandS62
The sensations are different..the feel of the brakes, clutch and steering...but in a good way. The car is just plain fun to drive, with a great balance of power, handling, and comfort. I have had BMWs that I had modified in the past that were quicker and handled better (via aftermarket coilovers, etc..), but completely stock I have no complaints about the move to a 911 with the possible exception of the learning curve of servicing a vehicle from a new (to me) manufacturer.
Couldn't have said it better. Well put!

Old 08-13-2011, 04:29 PM
RudyP is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ryem3
Search the board for M3, you will find many threads. I went from M3 to '07 997S, back to M3. You've gotta get the 2011 though to get the Competition package. No use posting a lot here - it's already been said. The M3 is a better daily, but a 997 is a great car. Best to own both, or at least each one at different times!
I'm in the process of shopping for an E92 M3 for a daily driver to supplement my 997.1 C2S. I think they make a nice pair. I'm told the M3 isn't a perfect snow car but Im guessing it'll be ok with a set of blizzaks

Old 08-13-2011, 04:43 PM
mseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of light
Gas mileage with the M3 V8 is pretty horrendous.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Looking for Opinions..BMW to Porsche..