997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Looking for Opinions..BMW to Porsche..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 04:00 PM
RudyP is infamous around these parts
Ok so just got the m3 home (black on black competition pack and nicely optioned). My wife drove it back and I drove the 997 but just took a nice little spin. I have to say I really like it - it's no 911 but it's a great little sporty coupe puts a smile on my face. A very nice complement to the 911. Specific observations compared to my 2006 997.1 C2S:
- M3 feels less powerful fast but in high rpms it still pulls very nicely and has a great sound. 911 pulls harder off idle and mid range.
- it feels very solid and planted. The body is very rigid, no creaks or rattles (my 997 has some of both) but it's also noticeably heavier in all ways. Not pudgy like a bigger car but more tank like while the 911 is nimble and tossable
- steering a little over boosted at low speeds and nice and heavy at speed (servotronic). The 997 is about at the midpoint. Nice and direct in responses but 911 crushes the M3 in steering feel.
- handling is very good - more like a regular car (front engine, rear drive) but very nicely tuned. Rear suspension is rock solid on midcorner bumps. Car corners flat and is really easy to drive. A novice driver would probably be faster around a track in the M3 than the 997. I really enjoy both but overall the 911 is more interesting and better overall. Most noticeable under power. The 911 handles like nothing else on corner exit with a bootload of power. M3 is no slouch though.
- cabin comfort, design, materials and creature comforts are much nicer than my 997. A new 997.2 with full leather would compare well though. I like both cabins - and both have great driving positions - even for this 6'6" 230lb guy.
- it will take a little while to get used to idrive

In conclusion, I'm really happy to have both. I think that once the honeymoon period is over, the 997 will remain the clear preferred car but for right now, I'm hard pressed to pick a winner. Now I need to get rid of my third sports car. Anyone want a barely used 2011 mustang GT?

Old 09-10-2011, 07:18 PM
LambOfGod is infamous around these partsLambOfGod is infamous around these partsLambOfGod is infamous around these parts
Damn bro....Now I have to buy an M3 but I'll have to wait to pay this 997 off.

I had a 99 M3 and it was one of the best cars I've owned. Nothing like the new M3 but it was awesome.

Originally Posted by RudyP
Ok so just got the m3 home (black on black competition pack and nicely optioned). My wife drove it back and I drove the 997 but just took a nice little spin. I have to say I really like it - it's no 911 but it's a great little sporty coupe puts a smile on my face. A very nice complement to the 911. Specific observations compared to my 2006 997.1 C2S:
- M3 feels less powerful fast but in high rpms it still pulls very nicely and has a great sound. 911 pulls harder off idle and mid range.
- it feels very solid and planted. The body is very rigid, no creaks or rattles (my 997 has some of both) but it's also noticeably heavier in all ways. Not pudgy like a bigger car but more tank like while the 911 is nimble and tossable
- steering a little over boosted at low speeds and nice and heavy at speed (servotronic). The 997 is about at the midpoint. Nice and direct in responses but 911 crushes the M3 in steering feel.
- handling is very good - more like a regular car (front engine, rear drive) but very nicely tuned. Rear suspension is rock solid on midcorner bumps. Car corners flat and is really easy to drive. A novice driver would probably be faster around a track in the M3 than the 997. I really enjoy both but overall the 911 is more interesting and better overall. Most noticeable under power. The 911 handles like nothing else on corner exit with a bootload of power. M3 is no slouch though.
- cabin comfort, design, materials and creature comforts are much nicer than my 997. A new 997.2 with full leather would compare well though. I like both cabins - and both have great driving positions - even for this 6'6" 230lb guy.
- it will take a little while to get used to idrive

In conclusion, I'm really happy to have both. I think that once the honeymoon period is over, the 997 will remain the clear preferred car but for right now, I'm hard pressed to pick a winner. Now I need to get rid of my third sports car. Anyone want a barely used 2011 mustang GT?

Old 09-12-2011, 06:31 AM
540Oak is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by RudyP
thx for the writing a pretty concise review so quickly for our (my) benefit...I appreciate it. Seems like two great cars. I want to lean towards the M3 due to cost and overall familiarity with the "brand". However when I think back to driving the 911 I REALLY liked it. After driving the 135 for a bit I have becomed accustomed to a smaller car. Being able to take quick turns and being nimble is what I enjoy now..I really don't want a tank..I already have a X3 and a 335xi sedan (will be arriving at the end of Oct) so I am looking for a REAL sports car. I wish I could afford both the M3 and a 911..However I am thankful to be even making this decision..Nonetheless getting the 911 will still be a while out but I wanted to make a decision and focus on that..

As you know I was thinking about the Caymen S, however if I am honest with myself the 911 is where my heart is at. I don't want to "settle" again (not that a Caymen @ is "settling"..) I went for a 135 instead of the 335 and I've lost quite a bit of money trading in my 1.5 year old 135 just to purchase a 335xi Sedan (for the wife...)

Thx for all your opinions and comments again!

540Oak

thx again Ruby!

Old 09-17-2011, 02:23 AM
Dave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by kitw
385hp/3250lbs
vs
414hp/3704lbs

Simple math.

I found you...the 3704 you are quoting is that for the vert...my coupe weighed 3586lbs...

Dave

Old 09-17-2011, 11:05 AM
kitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Dave07997S
I found you...the 3704 you are quoting is that for the vert...my coupe weighed 3586lbs...

Dave
Nah, the vert is even more. 4145. (what a pig!)

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...fications.aspx

3704 is what BMW quotes. It's the directly comparable figure to the one that Porsche quotes. That's why I used them... my E90 was about 3605 with my Akrapovic full system. (I had M-DCT which is heavier) My C2S weighs 3110 on the same scale. Figure there really is a 500 lbs difference, which was my point.

Is your E92 a 6pd? 3586lbs sounds about right if it is, and you have an aftermarket exhaust.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:23 PM
MBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by IslandS62
I was and still am a BMW and M-car fanatic. I have had 8 or 9 BMWs in the last 25 years, and was even President of my BMWCCA chapter. I still have a E30 M3, an E39 M5 and my wife has a 4.4 X5...but 4 months ago I bought a 06 C2S and I love driving it to death. Unless I need the backseat I always choose the 911 over the M cars each morning. The sensations are different..the feel of the brakes, clutch and steering...but in a good way. The car is just plain fun to drive, with a great balance of power, handling, and comfort. I have had BMWs that I had modified in the past that were quicker and handled better (via aftermarket coilovers, etc..), but completely stock I have no complaints about the move to a 911 with the possible exception of the learning curve of servicing a vehicle from a new (to me) manufacturer.

Given the current development of BMW Mcars and their increased artificiality I don't see myself moving back to BMW any time soon. The current lineup leaves me pretty cold, with the possible exception of the 1M, which I have not driven.
I was about to post how I agree 100% with the above comment, which I do, then noticed it was IslandS62. Hi John! We both came from Z3/Coupe's and as he mentioned, the clutch/feel/weight/balance of the car is not comparable to any BMW M models.

I'm a huge Techy and in a BMW M, yes you want to play with the features, in a 911 you're too busy enjoying the ride. Trust me, unless you want an Automatic baby hauler, you won't need bluetooth.