997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Daddy's got some new shoes...Pilot Super Sports!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 06:08 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
I have 1200 miles on mine. They are simply superb.

Old 08-13-2011, 06:14 PM
DMoore is a jewel in the roughDMoore is a jewel in the roughDMoore is a jewel in the roughDMoore is a jewel in the rough
Just replaced my rear Super Sports right at 4500 miles. Inside edge of left rear tire was starting to show cords. LOTS of tread left on the rest of the tire. I'm running about -2 degrees of camber in back for the track, so these things happen. Amazingly, the front tires, at just over -1 degree, are still looking good.

I have 3 track days and 3 AX days on the set. I'd hoped the rears would last longer, but at this point I'm thinking maybe I have a little too much negative camber in back. Since the front tire wear looks pretty even, maybe I should straighten out the rear wheels just a little. I'll talk to my mechanic about it.

FWIW, the PS2's that came on my GTS (new in late February) only lasted 2700 miles. With 5 track days and 3 AX on the PS2's I corded the outside edge of all 4 tires. So Michelin's claim of extra mileage from the PSS's just may be correct.

DMoore
'11 GTS
'10 Panamera 4S

Old 08-13-2011, 06:42 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DMoore
Just replaced my rear Super Sports right at 4500 miles. Inside edge of left rear tire was starting to show cords. LOTS of tread left on the rest of the tire. I'm running about -2 degrees of camber in back for the track, so these things happen. Amazingly, the front tires, at just over -1 degree, are still looking good.

I have 3 track days and 3 AX days on the set. I'd hoped the rears would last longer, but at this point I'm thinking maybe I have a little too much negative camber in back. Since the front tire wear looks pretty even, maybe I should straighten out the rear wheels just a little. I'll talk to my mechanic about it.

FWIW, the PS2's that came on my GTS (new in late February) only lasted 2700 miles. With 5 track days and 3 AX on the PS2's I corded the outside edge of all 4 tires. So Michelin's claim of extra mileage from the PSS's just may be correct.

DMoore
'11 GTS
'10 Panamera 4S
Michelin offers a staggered wear warranty on MPSS. I think it's 30k miles fronts and 15k miles rears. Did you take advantage of that?

Old 08-13-2011, 07:11 PM
DMoore is a jewel in the roughDMoore is a jewel in the roughDMoore is a jewel in the roughDMoore is a jewel in the rough
Actually I bought the tires a month ago. Tire Rack's prices were too good to pass up and I knew I'd need them sooner or later. The tires were stacked in my garage. When I saw the cords showing yesterday I headed for the tire shop today. I can't imagine any tread life warranty would include track time, would it?

DMoore
'11 GTS
'10 Panamera 4S

Old 08-13-2011, 07:11 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
Just replaced my rear Super Sports right at 4500 miles. Inside edge of left rear tire was starting to show cords. LOTS of tread left on the rest of the tire. I'm running about -2 degrees of camber in back for the track,
I'm running -2.8/-2.4 with 3 track days/1600 miles and the inside rears show little wear. What kind of toe are you running in the rear?

I'll try to get some photos of what the tread looks like at this point.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:25 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DMoore
Actually I bought the tires a month ago. Tire Rack's prices were too good to pass up and I knew I'd need them sooner or later. The tires were stacked in my garage. When I saw the cords showing yesterday I headed for the tire shop today. I can't imagine any tread life warranty would include track time, would it?

DMoore
'11 GTS
'10 Panamera 4S
I think that track use is not an issue. However, overly aggressive alignment settings might be. If you are cording inside, you should be OK. If I were you I would contact Michelin and openly discuss the issue with them.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:30 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Skylar's Dad
OK so I grew up.
LOL, I gave you some rep. You deserve it, I gave you a hard time about the chrome.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:40 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by adias
I think that track use is not an issue. However, overly aggressive alignment settings might be. If you are cording inside, you should be OK. If I were you I would contact Michelin and openly discuss the issue with them.
Please keep us posted. I'm really interested to see if they stand behind the 15k warranty.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:44 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Alan C.
I'm running -2.8/-2.4 with 3 track days/1600 miles and the inside rears show little wear. What kind of toe are you running in the rear?
Exactly. If you lowered the car or are running aggressive camber, it can shift your toe and have you running way too much toe out. It can vaporize rear tires in no time. I had a car settle a bit in the rear and the alignment went way out. Vaporized my rears in a few thousand miles. The camber is not likely to be the issue - only after maybe 10k miles.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:16 AM
Pcar416 is infamous around these partsPcar416 is infamous around these parts
I have the same wheels~ where did you get the colour crest?

Old 08-14-2011, 12:03 PM
MJ3
MJ3 is infamous around these parts
great look

Old 08-14-2011, 12:46 PM
Skylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by skana
I have the same wheels~ where did you get the colour crest?

Talk to Eli over at wheeldynamics.com- he is a great guy and will take care of you.