997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Valentine One install-Non-dimming mirror

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 05:38 PM
thxbuff2001 is infamous around these parts
Valentine One install-Non-dimming mirror

I am not used to anymore driving without my radar, that after getting my 997.2 C4S, thats the first thing I wanted to install. I installed it myself in my 997.1 C2S but with autodimming mirrors. My C4S had manual dimming.

I searched online for alternatives as Gary from G bracket said it is not a fit. But not quite.

In my desperation, I contacted Bart using a PM and he graciously answered my inquiries and I appreciate him for that. What I learned was that it can fit but it will sit to low.

I did my research and with my measurements, there wont be any difference as to how low it would set whether you have an autodimming or manual mirrors. I disassembled the mirror plastic post and saw that the part number is thesame as in the autodimming mirrors. The difference is only the autodimming mirror is slightly bigger than the manual dimming mirrors.

Since this is my second time to install a G bracket, I wanted to avoid some of the mistakes I made in the first install. One of them is how to remove the plastic mirror post with very minimal trauma to the plastic.

SOLUTION: Instead of trying to remove the post form the front, use a small screw driver and try to pry it from the back part, in the most upper part. Put some gentle pressure and pry it gently, then try to lower the screw driver until the first clip unclips. Then, use both hands to pry open the post. Only very minimal trauma, you might not even see it, almost no trauma if you use gentle pressure.

Next problem is how to remove the hangerholder to excess the A-pillar so you can drive the wire in that area. Don't need it!

SOLUTION: Do not use the G bracket wiring harness, instead go on ebay and buy those Valentine Hardwire cord with tap a fuse. $3 bucks free shipping.
How thick the wires makes difference, BUT, I did not have to remove the Apillar. Instead, the wire is thin enough to g between the dashboard and A-Pillar. My experience installing my MOBRIDGE helped. This is how I coursed my microphone wire to reach the Mobridge unit.

It still looks professionally installed.

The only downside is, you cannot manually dim the mirror. But who cares. I dont use it even. And if you have tinted windows, the more you dont need it. But please use caution, yo may have different tolerances to lights. But it has never been a problem with me.

If you still want to use the recommended way Gary from G bracket advised the board, you can still do so. But for some people who are uncomfortable in removing the hanger holder and A-pillar, this maybe an alternative.

Attached Images     

Last edited by thxbuff2001; 08-15-2011 at 05:42 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:37 PM
Max77 has a spectacular aura aboutMax77 has a spectacular aura about
Looks like a clean install, when I had my Cayman I used the included suction cup mount and hid most of the V1 behind the mirror with only the sensor sticking out the passenger side. I haven't yet tried to install on my 997.2 yet, I'm hoping there's enough room to do the same thing.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:24 AM
thxbuff2001 is infamous around these parts
I almost went to that way. Thats how I installed it in my M5. Just did not want to use the suction cups as much as possible.