997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Scraping the bottom: big problem?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 08:14 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by alan000
the bottom is plastic. I scraped mine the first day I got my car, and the following week, I just threw some touch up paint over it. It looks pretty good! When it gets worse, I figure I'll just replace it with an Aerokit bumper.

I even learned to assess the angle of a driveway to determine beforehand if I can navigate it without scraping. If it looks too steep, I usually find another way in or park outside, etc. Also, putting the PASM to sport helps a bit.
My scraping can't be seen unless you get down there to look for it, so I think I'll not worry about it since it's plastic. If anything breaks off, when the time comes, I'll just replace it, and meanwhile I'll be careful.

Thanks for the tip regarding using the PASM sport setting!

Old 08-18-2011, 06:13 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
mine is also scraped beyond repair. mechanic even asked me if I hit curbs all the time - no, just a lot of steep driveways. and al that with high sitting stock front bumper, it is not even an option to put on low sitting aerokit. it is just the way it is, nothing can be done about it.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:56 AM
2geeze is infamous around these parts
I just actually bought mine (07 Carrera S, 16000 miles) two weeks ago--haven't personally scraped the bottom, but there's some pretty impressive (and fairly fresh-looking) chewing of the underside of the front bumper that wasn't visible until the car was up on the rack, with a couple missing bolts. Happily, the dealership is taking care of this for me. My already healthy respect for parking blocks and curbs has now gone up a few notches.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:16 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 2geeze
I just actually bought mine (07 Carrera S, 16000 miles) two weeks ago--haven't personally scraped the bottom, but there's some pretty impressive (and fairly fresh-looking) chewing of the underside of the front bumper that wasn't visible until the car was up on the rack, with a couple missing bolts. Happily, the dealership is taking care of this for me. My already healthy respect for parking blocks and curbs has now gone up a few notches.
if your car does not know how to drop right side passenger mirrow to show rear right side curb when you engage rear gear - buy mods4cars little box so you would have this function. pretty priceless thing to have if you have no one to assist you with parking in the city.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:42 PM
2geeze is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by utkinpol
if your car does not know how to drop right side passenger mirrow to show rear right side curb when you engage rear gear - buy mods4cars little box so you would have this function. pretty priceless thing to have if you have no one to assist you with parking in the city.
Thanks--I'll look for it.

Old 11-16-2016, 12:38 PM
Thomas Ryan is infamous around these parts
I even learned to assess the angle of a driveway to determine beforehand if I can navigate it without scraping. If it looks too steep, I usually find another way in or park outside, etc. Also, putting the PASM to sport helps a bit.

My driveway doesn't look that bad but all the scrapes I have are from going in and out of it. It's a 2008 Carrera S.
Backing straight out and pulling straight in seems to work the best but I still drag the flap. Taking it at an angle tears up the black plastic on the corners. I suppose that would work better if the obstacle was narrower.

Thanks for mentioning the PASM. I asked about it elsewhere and was told it would not make a difference by some and that it would lower the car and make it worse by others. It's worth a try. What about raising it 1/2"?

Last edited by Thomas Ryan; 11-16-2016 at 12:41 PM.
Old 11-17-2016, 05:20 AM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
PASM doesn't lower the car, just stiffens the suspension. Cars equipped with PASM do have a lower factory ride height though.

It's a stock feature to be able to have the passenger mirror tip town in reverse if you want it to, just read the manual to see how to program it to do this when the mirror switch is turned to the passenger side.

You can avoid accidentally bumping parking cubs by backing into spits that have them. The rear bumper is tall enough to pass over them and the rear tires will be the only thing that bumps them unless you're running a deep sump oil pan. No need to buy and install any type of warning device that has to be spliced into your car's wiring.

Old 11-17-2016, 09:02 AM
I don't need the mirror feature or have problems
with concrete bumpers, I avoid them.
Thanks for the clarification on PASM. The descriptions all ambiguously said it lowers the suspension which I figured was incorrect
I'll try this technique when I return. Otherwise, I'll be paying someone to do a little concrete grinding

Old 11-17-2016, 10:02 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Thomas Ryan
I don't need the mirror feature or have problems
with concrete bumpers, I avoid them.
Thanks for the clarification on PASM. The descriptions all ambiguously said it lowers the suspension which I figured was incorrect
I'll try this technique when I return. Otherwise, I'll be paying someone to do a little concrete grinding
I have these and don't scape:

http://www.bridjit.com

Old 11-19-2016, 04:07 PM
Angry

I think that would be fine if the scraping occurred across a narrow strip at the very end of the driveway. Mine is happening at the seam in the photo

Old 11-24-2016, 11:30 AM
JackZ R is infamous around these parts
Yes, pretty much every time I drive, starting with the driveway curb. I am lowered so expect it. 60,000 miles and no major damage though.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0613.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	464212  
Old 11-27-2016, 05:18 PM
dragon9 is infamous around these parts
I think it could become an issue. Take each bump or dip at an angle!

Old 12-14-2016, 01:15 PM
Oddly, taking at an angle is guaranteed to scrape the replaceable black plastic guards on the sides. Hired a concrete grinding company that does this all the time.

Old 01-15-2017, 10:04 PM
JDDarkside is infamous around these parts
I freaked the first time I heard the scraping noise but settled down when I climbed under and saw it was just the rubber strip. I have rubber curb ramps for getting into my driveway. We have "soft curbs" but it still would rub. Added bonus was I figured out the even my wife's Explorer SUV was rubbing on its rubber flap too until I added the rubber curb ramp