997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Scraping the bottom: big problem?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 06:03 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Scraping the bottom: big problem?

Though I've tried to avoid it, I've scraped the front bottom of my 911S cab a few times. I wince every time, but is this a big problem? Is the part being scraped flexible enough to avoid serious damage?

Old 08-16-2011, 06:18 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Look underneath your front bumper. I've done the same thing, despite being very careful (my car is also lowered about .75 inches, making it harder to negotiate dips). I have some scrapes on the bottom side of the bumper, and my rubber deflector has become loosened on parking strips from time to time. I bought a replacement deflector to be ready for next time it gets torn off.

I have to be super careful at driveway entrances, usually taking them at an angle, and almost stopping in order to avoid any bounce.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:23 PM
surfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by keninirvine
Look underneath your front bumper. I've done the same thing, despite being very careful (my car is also lowered about .75 inches, making it harder to negotiate dips). I have some scrapes on the bottom side of the bumper, and my rubber deflector has become loosened on parking strips from time to time. I bought a replacement deflector to be ready for next time it gets torn off.

I have to be super careful at driveway entrances, usually taking them at an angle, and almost stopping in order to avoid any bounce.
Werd. My front bumper is pristine but the rubber deflector has taken a beating. My boy's C2S deflector flew completely off once and he replaced it with a new deflector. Not a bad idea having one as backup, was it easy to install?

Old 08-16-2011, 06:26 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
The rubber deflector has rubber tabs that you just push into the matching slots in the plastic bumper. Takes minutes to install, and no tools needed. Just make sure the tabs are fully seated in the slots.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:28 PM
surfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond repute
The rubber deflector has rubber tabs that you just push into the matching slots in the plastic bumper. Takes minutes to install, and no tools needed. Just make sure the tabs are fully seated in the slots.
OK thanks. Rep point to u.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:31 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
I can't keep the front lip off the ground on my car.....I guess I lowered it a bit much,LOL!
When I did my bumper conversion many people said I should paint the lip.....well 20 minutes into my first drive after having the conversion done,the lip touched down.It would have needed paint!
It does get scuffed but nothing serious.Lips are cheap though,so NO it isn't a big problem!

Stacy

Old 08-16-2011, 06:39 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
That's exactly what I do.

Good to know that this isn't a big concern, and that I can just replace it if necessary.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:57 PM
thxbuff2001 is infamous around these parts
Sometimes I do not enter or exit the same driveway to and from restaurants or gas stations. I learned that from my first porsche.

I usually drive my car only in places I know the curb angle are not deep and in familiar places also.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:13 PM
AP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud of
Welcome to the world of low and/or lowered cars. Entry at acute angles is your friend. Get to know it. Low speeds crossing dips is also good practice. Sh*t happens at times: it's the nature of the beast.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:17 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
you can always buy some vinyl pieces and stick that to the bottom of the bumper to avoid scraping the paint. cheap remedy. i used clear extra thick pieces on my gallardo.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:41 AM
Originally Posted by djantlive
you can always buy some vinyl pieces and stick that to the bottom of the bumper to avoid scraping the paint. cheap remedy. i used clear extra thick pieces on my gallardo.
Is the bottom of the bumper plastic or metal? If plastic, is it a big deal for the paint to get scraped? I'd be more concerned with metal because of rusting.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:13 AM
AP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud of
Old 08-17-2011, 10:30 AM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
I quit caring, my car is also lowered, with the GT3 front end, it's even lowered than the regular carreras.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:19 PM
ScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really nice
My GT3 lip has divots taken out of it. You just buy a new one once a year and three weeks later it looks like the old one!

Old 08-17-2011, 08:04 PM
alan000 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Manifold
Is the bottom of the bumper plastic or metal? If plastic, is it a big deal for the paint to get scraped? I'd be more concerned with metal because of rusting.
the bottom is plastic. I scraped mine the first day I got my car, and the following week, I just threw some touch up paint over it. It looks pretty good! When it gets worse, I figure I'll just replace it with an Aerokit bumper.

I even learned to assess the angle of a driveway to determine beforehand if I can navigate it without scraping. If it looks too steep, I usually find another way in or park outside, etc. Also, putting the PASM to sport helps a bit.

Last edited by alan000; 08-17-2011 at 08:08 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Scraping the bottom: big problem?