997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Factory SSK Install DIY?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 09:04 PM
mathfuzzy is infamous around these parts
Factory SSK Install DIY?

It looks like the factory SSK is pretty much universally loved and a mod that I'm likely to add to my car.

My only hesitation is that my car sometimes doesn't want to go into first...and it sounds like the SSK doesn't help this matter. Still, it seems like a pretty compelling change.

So, two questions:

1) How hard is the DIY install? I poked around and didn't find the answer or a DIY guide (might have "guy" looked though). There are some clues that it's not a trivial DIY...but I didn't find a post that addressed it head-on. Anyway, I'd be grateful for guidance.

2) Does anyone have experience with a significantly more stubborn 1st gear selection after installing the SSK on a car with an already sometimes stubborn 1st gear selection?

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:25 PM
911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold
I have a 2007 997.1 that had trouble getting into first once in awhile. It seems like it only happened when I was at a red light.

I installed the OEM SSK and love it. PM me for details on the install --- I can send you a couple pdfs that will help you 1) uninstall the center console and 2) install the SSK. I've been meaning to put a write-up in the DIY section---I'll try to get around to it this weekend.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:32 PM
Jsonorous is infamous around these parts
I'd love to see this in the DIY section!

Old 08-16-2011, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by 911cv
I have a 2007 997.1 that had trouble getting into first once in awhile. It seems like it only happened when I was at a red light.

I installed the OEM SSK and love it. PM me for details on the install --- I can send you a couple pdfs that will help you 1) uninstall the center console and 2) install the SSK. I've been meaning to put a write-up in the DIY section---I'll try to get around to it this weekend.
Thank for the help - just sent you a PM.

Best,

-JD

Old 08-17-2011, 11:37 AM
steph280 has a spectacular aura aboutsteph280 has a spectacular aura about
Use this as a guide. You will skip a lot of steps if you are using the factory OEM SSK kit since the B&M kit utilizes existing cage.
http://www.bmracing.com/bmracing/ins...ruction/67.pdf

And the photo in first step is deceiving. You actually pull the shift boot like the attach photo instead.

Piece of cake. Took me less than an hour to do on my first attempt.

Attached Images  
Old 08-17-2011, 11:39 AM
And somebody already did a 996 DIY in his blog, essentially the same for 997:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...r-install.html

Old 08-17-2011, 12:53 PM
wolfnards has a spectacular aura aboutwolfnards has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Jsonorous
I'd love to see this in the DIY section!
+1!

Mathfuzzy - send me a PM with DIY instructions as well if you get a chance. thanks!

Old 08-17-2011, 04:50 PM
na011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nice
Old 08-17-2011, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by steph280
Use this as a guide. You will skip a lot of steps if you are using the factory OEM SSK kit since the B&M kit utilizes existing cage.
http://www.bmracing.com/bmracing/ins...ruction/67.pdf

And the photo in first step is deceiving. You actually pull the shift boot like the attach photo instead.

Piece of cake. Took me less than an hour to do on my first attempt.
Cool - thanks for the help and the picture.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:03 PM
tcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to behold
I used all the above docs when I did mine and it went fine (depending on your definition of fine, off course)

There are three things I learned I can leave you with for this DIY:

1. Be extra, extra, extra careful when removing the trim pieces, put blankets/towels and masking tape anywhere near where you will use a tool, it is very easy to scratch something in there. Corollary: make sure you are comfortable an not in a hurry; if it is 10PM and you have a DE session tomorrow, now is not the time.

2. Use a sharpie to mark the cables for the adjustments, this way you can always rollback easily if you change something.

3. Do not tempt Murphy's law and close everything before you have tried the shifter... This is a sure way to have to do-it-all-over-again-and-scratch-something-because-you-will-be-pissed-off-this-time.

Some teacher once told me I learned faster than anyone he knew, because I also make more mistakes faster than anyone he knew...

HTH,

T.

Old 10-22-2011, 03:00 PM
FatArse is infamous around these partsFatArse is infamous around these parts
I know there's plenty of positive press on the ssk...any concern with the ssk on a daily driver?

Old 10-22-2011, 10:17 PM
mike993c2s is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by FatArse
I know there's plenty of positive press on the ssk...any concern with the ssk on a daily driver?
None I can think of. Do it and you'll thank me later.

Old 10-23-2011, 05:40 AM
JPSJR is infamous around these parts
Getting mine installed this week along with a painted rear center console which I just got from Eric at BumperPlugs. I will update with pics after I'm done with it.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:15 AM
Yes please post photos! I'd like to see how the painted center console look with the red leather. I have the same color and have been contemplating on painting the center console.

Old 11-02-2011, 03:34 PM
JPSJR is infamous around these parts
Well, I washed the car and cleaned it after getting it back from Ray Catena, which by the way they did a great job!!! Thanks Ryan and Lou!! I had the SSK, the Rear Center Console painted from Eric at Bumper Plugs (Eric did a great job, A++), Replaced the Steering Wheel with one from the Porsche TechEquip Dept, here are some pics:

Attached Images  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Factory SSK Install DIY?