997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Are there cars out there which are substantially better than the 911?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:17 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Substantially better?

Also depends on what model/trim within the product range. This in itself is debatable among enthusiasts with different criteria.

To me - the 911 C2 is junk. The range should start at the GTS, Turbo, then GT3/2 appropriately. So If I were to answer the question - is there something substantially better than a 911 Turbo? I'd say no.

If the question were - is there another car substantially better than a 911 C2? Yes... Goodness, yes.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:38 AM
sanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Substantially better?

Also depends on what model/trim within the product range. This in itself is debatable among enthusiasts with different criteria.

To me - the 911 C2 is junk. The range should start at the GTS, Turbo, then GT3/2 appropriately. So If I were to answer the question - is there something substantially better than a 911 Turbo? I'd say no.

If the question were - is there another car substantially better than a 911 C2? Yes... Goodness, yes.
Nicely said...

Old 08-17-2011, 11:19 AM
steph280 has a spectacular aura aboutsteph280 has a spectacular aura about
Porsche purists would argue against this, but even a $85K Nissan GTR would blow away even the 911 turbo. The styling is polar opposite of 911's, plus the drive feel makes it not a popular alternative amongst the Porsche crowd. But if I had the dough I'd own both.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:03 PM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
Substantially better?

Really? The 911 C2 is JUNK? Seriously? They miss you on the Nissan threads. Go troll over there.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:37 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by steph280
Porsche purists would argue against this, but even a $85K Nissan GTR would blow away even the 911 turbo. The styling is polar opposite of 911's, plus the drive feel makes it not a popular alternative amongst the Porsche crowd. But if I had the dough I'd own both.
No doubt the GT-R puts down supercar performance numbers, but most people who've driven it (I haven't) say that it's a somewhat sterile car to drive, lacking the subjective fun factor. The most common reason given is that the GT-R's computer co-pilot is doing a lot of the driving for you.

Personally, I'd rather do the driving myself, even if that means I'm slower. This issue mirrors the manual vs PDK debate ... I went with manual.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:51 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Substantially better?

I drove many variants of the 911 before settling on a C2S cab, including the C2 and Turbo. I found all of them similar enough to be grouped together, and didn't see enough difference to call the C2 "junk" while calling the Turbo essentially unsurpassed (unless the only criterion is acceleration).

Old 08-17-2011, 12:51 PM
sizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond repute
Substantially better?

Yea, driving the piece of junk C2 well actually involves some driving skill.

Last edited by sizquik; 08-17-2011 at 12:58 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:58 PM
gasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond repute
If you want people to tell you what you want to hear, ask your question on Porsche forum.

I bet if you ask the same question on the ferrari, lambo, or bugatti forum, many of those owners probably have driven a 911 and could give you an honest answer.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by gasongasoff
If you want people to tell you what you want to hear, ask your question on Porsche forum.

I bet if you ask the same question on the ferrari, lambo, or bugatti forum, many of those owners probably have driven a 911 and could give you an honest answer.
Understood, but I'm hoping to hear from people in this forum who have driven the 911 as well as the other cars.

I agree that there are probably plenty of guys in the Bugatti forum who would say that Porsche is crap.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:51 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Substantially better?

How more obnoxious, arrogant and off-putting can one be? Will you, in any car of your choice, do better than a good driver of a C2 on the same track?

Old 08-17-2011, 02:01 PM
simsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Rodolfo
If you are talking about the driving experience.

A 20k RACECAR, and I mean a real formula car, with 150 or 180hp, will blow your mind. Nothing compares to the benefits of low weight.

But in a street car, a porsche is your best bet when looking for that special equation between a sportcar and a luxury car, at a below 100k price.
Yep. Exactly as he said, though I suspect you can get a nice mid-pack car for as little as 14k or 15k in one of the formulas that rely on inexpensive street engines. For sheer fun, a mid-pack car is all you need.

Gary

Old 08-17-2011, 03:17 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by catchmyshadow
it does everything brilliantly: sports, looks, quality, prestige, fun, value for money. There are surely sportscars that are slightly better in one or the other department but none of them combine all of those aspects in such perfect fashion.
Very well stated.

Originally Posted by adias
How more obnoxious, arrogant and off-putting can one be? Will you, in any car of your choice, do better than a good driver of a C2 on the same track?
+1 ... How many better cars are there than a bog standard Carrera ? Some people need to realize that there is more to motoring than sheer speed and there is more to an automobile than just horsepower.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:01 PM
cibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the rough

Is this guy for real? This is j/k, right?

Last edited by cibergypsy; 08-17-2011 at 04:12 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:13 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cibergypsy
Is this guy for real? This is j/k, right?
Look at his screen name suffix and avatar...

Old 08-17-2011, 04:19 PM
surfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by adias
+1. Base C2 is more than enough car for 99% of drivers on the street and more than capable with competent driver on the track.

In regards to the OP's question, I've driven Gallardo, GTR, M6, SL63 AMG, M3 and they all have their positives. Gallardo is a beast and has mad torque but I was not a huge fan of E-gear. I hear new E-gear is better, I don't know why Lambo doesn't use Audi DSG. 911 is good as daily driver while still being a race car. Very few other cars (R8, GTR) offer this flexibility.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average.

Quick Reply: Are there cars out there which are substantially better than the 911?