997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Are there cars out there which are substantially better than the 911?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:47 PM
simsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cibergypsy
Is this guy for real? This is j/k, right?
Well, it's apparent that any track times he might try to post will be hampered severely on any track with an overpass. The irrepressible urge to huddle beneath and ambush Billy Goat Gruff will slow him mightily.

To seriously address the OP's question, there are not cars out there as much better than a 911 than it is when compared to ... well, any mundane car to be honest. The reason is we're up in the area of car design where it's not a question of oil paints being more expensive than watercolors. The designers can afford any palette they want. Some teams choose a little more of this and less of that. Others make a different selection, so each car, each design, is different than its peers, but no objective metric makes sense. Every one is an example of the car art, but which one you favor is up to you.

Cars exist that rely on extraordinarily exotic techniques and the designers of such cars achieve more or less media attention as their measure of success, but the truth is they sell very limited numbers to people who want to own something created in very limited numbers. They succeed. That isn't a metric, just human nature.

Is a Bugatti Veyron significantly better than a Porsche Anything? Well, it's a better collector piece, but if you mean "better car" then you'll need to show me a few examples with odometer readings that indicate someone drove each one as much as I want to drive my Carrera. Or... well, I'll settle for as much as I actually do drive my Carrera. They aren't expressly cars, so much as technological *** artistic tours de force. Otherwise they'd have owners driving the wheels off to get the whole good of the enormous price they pay.

No, in the price class of Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo and Aston, we're talking about designers free to spend essentially anything on technology that is current state of the art (as opposed to hypothetical techniques only suitable in prototyping numbers). That freedom means they can do whatever they like within a very broad range for every trait. Those traits all conflict of course, and what they actually choose to do is what defines the result as a Porsche, Ferrari, L... etc. And within the marques, the specific design balance, the palette they choose is what differs between the low-end examples of used cars fifteen years from now and the classics that go for omigod prices at auction if the odometer is lightly used.

So, in case you missed the point in our serious answers, several other marques have good cars an enthusiast enjoys driving and owning. None of them are better than a Porsche, just different art. In one word:
Are there cars out there which are substantially better than the 911?
No.

Gary

Old 08-17-2011, 05:14 PM
Luciddaydream is infamous around these parts
What I like about Porsches is that they are classic and iconic.
The cool guys in history and in movies always drive a porsche.
Paul Newman, James Dean, etc.

They are stylish and not super try hard. I do like Ferrari but here in MN they'd be too try hard. Lamborghini would be even worse. I don't want to drive a spaceship around and look like a guy from Jersey Shore. I want to drive a tried and tested, stylish and refined classic.

Old 08-17-2011, 05:36 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by simsgw
To seriously address the OP's question, there are not cars out there as much better than a 911 than it is when compared to ... well, any mundane car to be honest. The reason is we're up in the area of car design where it's not a question of oil paints being more expensive than watercolors. The designers can afford any palette they want. Some teams choose a little more of this and less of that. Others make a different selection, so each car, each design, is different than its peers, but no objective metric makes sense. Every one is an example of the car art, but which one you favor is up to you.

Cars exist that rely on extraordinarily exotic techniques and the designers of such cars achieve more or less media attention as their measure of success, but the truth is they sell very limited numbers to people who want to own something created in very limited numbers. They succeed. That isn't a metric, just human nature.

Is a Bugatti Veyron significantly better than a Porsche Anything? Well, it's a better collector piece, but if you mean "better car" then you'll need to show me a few examples with odometer readings that indicate someone drove each one as much as I want to drive my Carrera. Or... well, I'll settle for as much as I actually do drive my Carrera. They aren't expressly cars, so much as technological *** artistic tours de force. Otherwise they'd have owners driving the wheels off to get the whole good of the enormous price they pay.

No, in the price class of Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo and Aston, we're talking about designers free to spend essentially anything on technology that is current state of the art (as opposed to hypothetical techniques only suitable in prototyping numbers). That freedom means they can do whatever they like within a very broad range for every trait. Those traits all conflict of course, and what they actually choose to do is what defines the result as a Porsche, Ferrari, L... etc. And within the marques, the specific design balance, the palette they choose is what differs between the low-end examples of used cars fifteen years from now and the classics that go for omigod prices at auction if the odometer is lightly used.

So, in case you missed the point in our serious answers, several other marques have good cars an enthusiast enjoys driving and owning. None of them are better than a Porsche, just different art. In one word:

No.

Gary
This nicely summarizes and gives a basis for what others have said. My question is really whether there's another level of cars above the 911, just as the 911 is on a level above my C63 and many other cars I've driven. There answer so far seems to be No, the 911 resides at the top level, which includes other great cars, some of which are far more expensive. It's a nice thought that one can get to that top level for about $100K, instead of $200K or $300K, or $2M!

Now the question is whether someone will step forward and try to make a credible case that there's indeed a level above the 911. Any takers?

Old 08-17-2011, 05:48 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Manifold
This nicely summarizes and gives a basis for what others have said. My question is really whether there's another level of cars above the 911, just as the 911 is on a level above my C63 and many other cars I've driven. There answer so far seems to be No, the 911 resides at the top level, which includes other great cars, some of which are far more expensive. It's a nice thought that one can get to that top level for about $100K, instead of $200K or $300K, or $2M!

Now the question is whether someone will step forward and try to make a credible case that there's indeed a level above the 911. Any takers?
u keep saying 'level'.. which is very general and a relative term.

can u better define the 'level' (besides the c63 to 911 scenario) ?

than, perhaps, we can better answer ur question.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:04 PM
TheRox has a spectacular aura aboutTheRox has a spectacular aura aboutTheRox has a spectacular aura about
In terms of performance, reliability, practicality, and mechanical satisfaction -- NO...the 911 is by far the best car in its class/price point (from the C2 to the GT3 to even the Turbo...but that is pushing it).

Are there cars in the same price point that look more attractive when you ask the average person (were you to take a world wide poll)? Yes...Aston Martin V8 Vantage comes to mind -- car doesn't drive well...but she's a looker.

Porsche can't be beat for performance - I would argue the 911 is a BARGAIN for the performance you're getting and the sub 100 K price tag you're paying in the US for a C2S.

Obviously the pinnacle in this range are vehicles like the 458 Italia which combine fine performance, with world-class design/looks, exhaust note, interiors, and exclusivity.

The latter four things Porsche simply cannot do -- but thats why most people who have a 911 have one: they are affordable and a true bargain for what you're getting.

Amazing car. Really is an amazing piece of machinery to drive. But it is not exclusive and it is not a piece of art to look at in the conventional sense. One does get attached to a Porsche though.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:06 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by crazycarlitos
u keep saying 'leve'l.. which is very general and relative term.

can u better define the 'level' (besides the c63 to 911 scenario) ?

than, perhaps, we can better answer ur question.
It's hard to define, so let's consider a thought experiment.

Say you have a hundred car enthusiasts and you have them drive all currently available "performance" cars, somehow without knowing the brand/model, then rate each car accordingly to my criteria (objective performance, subjective performance, and tolerable comfort). If the average ratings for each car result in the cars clustering into different groups, each group would be a level.

Would levels like this emerge, as opposed to a continuum of ratings? I don't know. But if there are no cars rated much higher than the 911, I would say that the answer to my question is that there are no cars which are substantially better than the 911, though there may be cars which are comparably good but different.

To put it differently, if I drove a Ferrari, Lambo, Bugatti, etc. would I consider them to be better than my 911, not just different? I won't know until I one day get a chance to try. Meanwhile, I'm hoping to hear from people who've actually made such comparisons. From the responses so far, the 911 is coming out well.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:07 PM
Luciddaydream is infamous around these parts
TheRox --

Really? I disagree. I think they are really pretty and in many ways perfect looking.

But sometimes they can look strange. Sort of like a supermodel. They have many poses. Some hotter than others.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by TheRox
Obviously the pinnacle in this range are vehicles like the 458 Italia which combine fine performance, with world-class design/looks, exhaust note, interiors, and exclusivity.

The latter four things Porsche simply cannot do -- but thats why most people who have a 911 have one: they are affordable and a true bargain for what you're getting.
Those four criteria carry very little weight for me, and I actually prefer a car that doesn't attract attention. For me, I want a performance car to enjoy driving it, not to impress anyone or, worse, arouse jealousy.

Though it took me a while to wrap my head around spending over $100K on a car, I've also gradually come to the conclusion that Porsches are actually a good value for what they offer, especially compared to exotics. Porsche seems to have no serious competition in its price range, and I guess that's part of why the company is so profitable!

Old 08-17-2011, 06:17 PM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TheRox
In terms of performance, reliability, practicality, and mechanical satisfaction -- NO...the 911 is by far the best car in its class/price point (from the C2 to the GT3 to even the Turbo...but that is pushing it).
+1. Some other cars come close, Vette, M3, GT-R, they may even be faster in a straight line. But as a total car package at this price point, 911 all day long for me.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:20 PM
TheRox has a spectacular aura aboutTheRox has a spectacular aura aboutTheRox has a spectacular aura about
Those four criteria carry very little weight for me, and I actually prefer a car that doesn't attract attention. For me, I want a performance car to enjoy driving it, not to impress anyone or, worse, arouse jealousy.

Though it took me a while to wrap my head around spending over $100K on a car, I've also gradually come to the conclusion that Porsches are actually a good value for what they offer, especially compared to exotics. Porsche seems to have no serious competition in its price range, and I guess that's part of why the company is so profitable!

Absolutely, no argument there.

A lot of refined people are looking for a classy, value-oriented car that doesn't shout "look at me".

The way Porsche drives...for the price, unless you're some Princess who needs all the bells and whistles...you get the base car, and you get so much for that price.

For those looking for a loud car, and with the 458 italia being too expensive, I find many friends in their 30's buy Aston Martin, Maserati... - but these are people interested in lifestyle, not driving; they do it for 10 years or so, and then default to the 911 if they are serious driver's in their mid 40's/50's.

The others who are drivers just buy a 911 or pony up for a Ferrari. The 911 is an amazing vehicle.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by Targa Tim
+1. Some other cars come close, Vette, M3, GT-R, they may even be faster in a straight line. But as a total car package at this price point, 911 all day long for me.
As far as a total car goes, I still am astouded by the 911.

It even offers a nice-enough badge, it ain't Ferrari...but Porsche is Porsche. Until that new Cajun and mini-BOxster comes and Porsche goes downmarket over the next 10 years...things are good.

Great package.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:24 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute

That makes me wonder whether there's something else out there which is similarly even better than the 911. In other words, a possible future dream car.
there is always something better, pricier and faster than what you can afford to own. make your peace with it...

Old 08-17-2011, 06:27 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
Good question. I guess my criteria are (a) having objectively high performance (lap times, grip limits, 0-60, stopping distance, etc.), (b) being subjectively fun to drive (involving, intuitive, thrilling, etc.), and (c) being comfortable enough for routine use (not restricted to track or weekend use). I'm not considering cost, storage space, prestige, etc.
since 911 lineup includes the gt3rs 4.0 and the gt2rs, i would say the list of cars above the 911 level (ur criteria) is very short.

1200 hp bugatti supersport quickly comes to mind.. but i have not driven it myself.

i understand Bugatti is also making a $1.4 million 800 hp 4 door called Galibier.. it will be in its own class, i believe.. lol

as others have said, 911 makes the best DD.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:44 PM
surfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond repute
Qft one can't confuse daily practicality with being exotic. A veyron ss or zonda is in a completely different class imo. True supercar as defined by performance and exclusivity. Ferraris are like works of art, seeing the Italia in person took my breath away. Watching it smoke an F430 is awe inspiring. The 911 is definitely more practical like an everyday supercar.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by utkinpol
there is always something better, pricier and faster than what you can afford to own. make your peace with it...
Pricier? Yes.

Faster? I would say not much, especially compared to the Turbo, and when curves are involved.

Better? That's what the whole thread is about. Most people say no, though we may be biased in this forum, as already noted .

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average.

Quick Reply: Are there cars out there which are substantially better than the 911?