997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Are there cars out there which are substantially better than the 911?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:49 PM
surfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond repute
Talk to some of my boys with scuds and lp560-4s. To them, Carrera s and turbos were a stepping stone to f-cars and lambos.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:54 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by surfah
Talk to some of my boys with scuds and lp560-4s. To them, Carrera s and turbos were a stepping stone to f-cars and lambos.
I guess the best people to ask are those who've owned both the 911 and those other cars, and we don't seem to have many people fitting that description in this forum.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:26 PM
krysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant future
To me only one car comes to mind, the Mclaren F1, with the single seat in the middle and all that horse power, it will forever be an icon.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:43 PM
surfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond repute
Qft. Go to fchat and see what they think of the 911.

Originally Posted by Manifold:3290127
Originally Posted by surfah
I guess the best people to ask are those who've owned both the 911 and those other cars, and we don't seem to have many people fitting that description in this forum.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:56 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Another way to look at this is to accept that maybe there are cars which are better than the 911, according to my criteria and method of measurement, but that each increment of improvement over the 911 costs more and more. In other words, it may be a case of diminishing returns beyond the 911.

For example, maybe a $300K Ferrari is a little better than a $100K 911, but not three times better. Maybe a $2M Veyron is a little better than the Ferrari, and that much better than the 911, but not 7 times better than the Ferrari or 20 times better than the 911.

If you think about it, it's this way with a lot of products. For example, $2K will get you a decent stereo audio system. But there are plenty of audiophiles who will pay $10K or more for a modest sonic improvement over that $2K system, in their (never ending) search for sonic nirvana.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:58 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Manifold
... My question is really whether there's another level of cars above the 911, just as the 911 is on a level above my C63 and many other cars I've driven. ...
For 911 fans that question/statement makes no sense. We do not see cars in a ladder of discrete levels.

You say the 911 is above the C63 AMG... in what sense? some will tell you that the C63 is a ferocious locomotive on the drag-strip and they prefer it to a 911...

The 911 is in a class by itself, or at least it is until now (the 991 may not be ). What some of us like in the 11 is its unique all-in-the-rear architecture and pendulum-like driving dynamics. These are characteristics that only a few love. The majority of people out there are after 'balanced' cars which an 11 isn't by definition.

Gary pointed out that the Veyron is at the top of the scale in cost, performance, etc... but it is not a 911. If I owned a Veyron I would still want a 911.

The 911 is all about dancing on a curvy mountain road. It is not a straight-line locomotive, or, for me, a social statement as a boulevard cruiser.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by adias
For 911 fans that question/statement makes no sense. We do not see cars in a ladder of discrete levels.

You say the 911 is above the C63 AMG... in what sense? some will tell you that the C63 is a ferocious locomotive on the drag-strip and they prefer it to a 911...

The 911 is in a class by itself, or at least it is until now (the 991 may not be ). What some of us like in the 11 is its unique all-in-the-rear architecture and pendulum-like driving dynamics. These are characteristics that only a few love. The majority of people out there are after 'balanced' cars which an 11 isn't by definition.

Gary pointed out that the Veyron is at the top of the scale in cost, performance, etc... but it is not a 911. If I owned a Veyron I would still want a 911.

The 911 is all about dancing on a curvy mountain road. It is not a straight-line locomotive, or, for me, a social statement as a boulevard cruiser.
I generally agree with your thoughts on what sets the 911 apart. I seek out those curvy roads as much I can, including taking the very long way home from work. As far as loving these characteristics, I think one can grow to love them (I did).

Regarding levels, etc., please see: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post3290065

Old 08-17-2011, 09:04 PM
simsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond repute
I generally agree with your thoughts on what sets the 911 apart. I seek out those curvy roads as much I can, including taking the very long way home from work. As far as loving these characteristics, I think one can grow to love them (I did).

Regarding levels, etc., please see: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post3290065
You mean this thread? The one Tony and I just responded to?

Gary

Old 08-18-2011, 05:51 AM
Originally Posted by simsgw
You mean this thread? The one Tony and I just responded to?

Gary
The link should point you to my specific post within this thread. If you click on the number of a post, it will give you a permalink for that post.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:08 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Pricier? Yes.

Faster? I would say not much, especially compared to the Turbo, and when curves are involved.

Better? That's what the whole thread is about. Most people say no, though we may be biased in this forum, as already noted .
'better' is an evasive term. some may say any maybach is better than 911, others may spend a fortune on a pro class open wheeler racer platform, some think there is nothing better than a 430 scud.

when you get much more than $200K to burn on a car you get a lot of options. 911 is a very good real high performance sport car that is available for very reasonable budget. it does not mean there are no better options for less reasonable budget, there are. plus, 911 by itself is a very broad term, like my 997 C2 and a RSR cup car are all 911 but not neraly same cars.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:17 AM
Originally Posted by utkinpol
'better' is an evasive term. some may say any maybach is better than 911, others may spend a fortune on a pro class open wheeler racer platform, some think there is nothing better than a 430 scud.

when you get much more than $200K to burn on a car you get a lot of options. 911 is a very good real high performance sport car that is available for very reasonable budget. it does not mean there are no better options for less reasonable budget, there are. plus, 911 by itself is a very broad term, like my 997 C2 and a RSR cup car are all 911 but not neraly same cars.
Please see my posts 11, 22, 37, and 51 in this thread, where all of your points are addressed.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:46 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sanchezdds
Nicely said...
Thanks!
Originally Posted by steph280
Porsche purists would argue against this, but even a $85K Nissan GTR would blow away even the 911 turbo. The styling is polar opposite of 911's, plus the drive feel makes it not a popular alternative amongst the Porsche crowd. But if I had the dough I'd own both.
I know that quite a few Porsche-turn-GT-R owners would say better - as in performance, but I don't think anybody in their right minds would suggest the GT-R is substantially better.
Originally Posted by lacrosse
Really? The 911 C2 is JUNK? Seriously? ...
Yes. Really. I couldn't get rid of mine fast enough.
No doubt the GT-R puts down supercar performance numbers, but most people who've driven it (I haven't) say that it's a somewhat sterile car to drive, lacking the subjective fun factor. The most common reason given is that the GT-R's computer co-pilot is doing a lot of the driving for you.

Personally, I'd rather do the driving myself, even if that means I'm slower. This issue mirrors the manual vs PDK debate ... I went with manual.
6sp vs manual? My favorite analogy (from that exact thread) - boxers or briefs?

For those who think the GT-R is the only car that drives itself - see: TTS.
I drove many variants of the 911 before settling on a C2S cab, including the C2 and Turbo. I found all of them similar enough to be grouped together, and didn't see enough difference to call the C2 "junk" while calling the Turbo essentially unsurpassed (unless the only criterion is acceleration).
I drove quite a lot as well (owned a couple, and settled on my current car). I do consider a C2 quite a let down. They can be fun (never disputed that), but so can a Mazda Miata or a pogo stick, doesn't mean it can compare with a Gallardo, R8, F430 (all cars I have driven as well).
Originally Posted by sizquik
Yea, driving the piece of junk C2 well actually involves some driving skill.
So does a Dodge SRT-4 or Mini Cooper... Your point?
Understood, but I'm hoping to hear from people in this forum who have driven the 911 as well as the other cars.

I agree that there are probably plenty of guys in the Bugatti forum who would say that Porsche is crap.
Exactly, perspective is everything.
How more obnoxious, arrogant and off-putting can one be? Will you, in any car of your choice, do better than a good driver of a C2 on the same track?
Apparently not as obnoxious, arrogant and off-putting as others on here. I learn from the best (if you'd like references, I'd be glad to show you). A question was asked about opinions - that is mine. The C2 is a quite a boring underwhelming car.
Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
+1 ... How many better cars are there than a bog standard Carrera ? Some people need to realize that there is more to motoring than sheer speed and there is more to an automobile than just horsepower.
I can mention quite a few (I did earlier in this post). Some people need to realize that there is more to motoring than just average performance.
Originally Posted by cibergypsy
Is this guy for real? This is j/k, right?
Is someone offended that the GT2 is better than a base C2? I think Porsche would agree that if you'd compare these two models, there is no comparison. If you do, show me ONE person who is cross-shopping a C2 and GT2.
Look at his screen name suffix and avatar...
So you can judge a person by a name? I have other pictures of me tracking a 911? Would that help? Nahhhhhhh, let's just assume we know everything, and move on.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:55 AM
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
I drove quite a lot as well (owned a couple, and settled on my current car). I do consider a C2 quite a let down. They can be fun (never disputed that), but so can a Mazda Miata or a pogo stick, doesn't mean it can compare with a Gallardo, R8, F430 (all cars I have driven as well).

A question was asked about opinions - that is mine. The C2 is a quite a boring underwhelming car.
So why exactly do you consider the C2 to be "junk"? And do you also consider the C2S to be junk, or almost junk?

And what is your current car? I may have missed it, but I don't recall your saying.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:02 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by utkinpol

Agreed, 100%.
Please see my posts 11, 22, 37, and 51 in this thread, where all of your points are addressed.
lol! I went back and read those posts... It is truly difficult to identify all criteria.

I asked the question a while back - what is the next step up from a TT? My overwhelming response is the exotic - LF-A, Gallardo, F430/458, R8V10, now the new Aventador, McLaren, Koenigsegg, etc...

Nobody recommended a Lexus LS, Mercedes anything, etc...

And please, guys - let's take this all in context. I'm an equal opportunity hater - I think the base C6 is junk as well - but I have a lot of respect for the Z06/ZR-1 line. I guess I have an issue of holding back a car's potential for marketing reasons (see: Cayman for reference). That affects my perception. Some are happy in a V6 Challenger (see C2), others prefer the Challenger SRT-8 and believe that was the way car was meant to be designed (see: Turbo).

Old 08-18-2011, 11:19 AM
mousecrab is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Agreed, 100%.

lol! I went back and read those posts... It is truly difficult to identify all criteria.

I asked the question a while back - what is the next step up from a TT? My overwhelming response is the exotic - LF-A, Gallardo, F430/458, R8V10, now the new Aventador, McLaren, Koenigsegg, etc...

Nobody recommended a Lexus LS, Mercedes anything, etc...

And please, guys - let's take this all in context. I'm an equal opportunity hater - I think the base C6 is junk as well - but I have a lot of respect for the Z06/ZR-1 line. I guess I have an issue of holding back a car's potential for marketing reasons (see: Cayman for reference). That affects my perception. Some are happy in a V6 Challenger (see C2), others prefer the Challenger SRT-8 and believe that was the way car was meant to be designed (see: Turbo).
For me to pick any Japanese that's closed to a 911 would be NSX not a GTR.
Skyline is a muscle car in Japan and it looks like a boat. Best overall tuned japnese; hands down to NSX but too bad honda been letting it sit in dust without much development.
I guess putting C6 and 911CS as junk then G37 and 370Z are nothing more than civic with factory fat can.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average.

Quick Reply: Are there cars out there which are substantially better than the 911?