997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Are there cars out there which are substantially better than the 911?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:41 PM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
OK, group hug everyone.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:54 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by surfah
Try AutoX a Spec Miata, as exhilarating as my C2S. Different strokes for different folks.
Agreed... I have been tracking my brother's Miata lately, simply because I don't have to maintain it, and it's an absolute blast. Doesn't mean it is on par with a 911TT.
Originally Posted by lacrosse
OK, group hug everyone.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:17 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Agreed... I have been tracking my brother's Miata lately, simply because I don't have to maintain it, and it's an absolute blast. Doesn't mean it is on par with a 911TT.
Funny that you guys mentioned the Miata. I've been toying with the idea of getting a used one, or something similar, as a dedicated track car, something inexpensive to practice with to develop skill.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:22 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by lacrosse
OK, group hug everyone.
Just glad that we turned it into something productive. I'm not a fan of quickly labelling people (eg, as trolls), nor intolerance of differing opinions (if expressed courteously).

Old 08-20-2011, 09:29 AM
I've created a poll so that we can gauge the responses from another angle:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...han-911-a.html

Old 08-20-2011, 11:51 AM
p's pcar is infamous around these partsp's pcar is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by surfah
Try AutoX a Spec Miata, as exhilarating as my C2S. Different strokes for different folks.
Nah. Compared to an S2000, a Miata's junk. JK

Old 08-20-2011, 11:59 AM
Originally Posted by p's pcar
Nah. Compared to an S2000, a Miata's junk. JK
The S2000 is another good option, but will tracks allow it with the soft top?

Old 08-20-2011, 12:04 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Manifold
With a roll bar, yes.

Are we seriously discussing an S2000 as a car substantially better than a 911? (Is this just side-discussion?)

Old 08-20-2011, 12:23 PM
With a roll bar, yes.

Are we seriously discussing an S2000 as a car substantially better than a 911? (Is this just side-discussion?)
No, as a potential inexpensive track-dedicated car. Are you referring to a standard built-in roll bar, or something that has to be added?

Last edited by Manifold; 08-20-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:28 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Cool

Well, I would not say that the C2 is junk. It is an entry level car for the serious enthusiast and as with so many of those cars, there is something about the fact that you can drive the hell out of that car, get to the YOUR edge of your skills, have a great day, get the heart pumpin' and be alive to tell the story. Slightly "underpowered " cars seems to be happy to be flogged!
Having said that, my issue with the C2 is the fact that the owner is getting taken to the cleaner with engines / gearboxes that just are not being updated when issues arise such as the infamous RMS type problems. Porsche can tell us that an engine (after warranty runs out) is a "wear-out" replaceble piece-part, that for me is just not an acceptable answer and that pickles the 996 and 997 series for me, as an owner. And, it is sad to see that some many so-called die-hard car nuts are getting lazy and opt for the automatics. That is one less skills people have... who cares that the PDK can do it faster.. Get a PS3 or Microbox and you only need your thumbs to drive fast. Just sayin..

Old 08-20-2011, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by hroussard
...And, it is sad to see that some many so-called die-hard car nuts are getting lazy and opt for the automatics. That is one less skills people have... who cares that the PDK can do it faster.. Get a PS3 or Microbox and you only need your thumbs to drive fast. Just sayin..
Perhaps this is a more appropriate venue for your opinion?

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...pdk-loser.html

Old 08-20-2011, 04:40 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Manifold
many..if it has a permanent roll bar, which can be the standard built in type

I have tracked my boxster several times....which has same.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:01 PM
Rodsky is just really niceRodsky is just really niceRodsky is just really niceRodsky is just really nice
Originally Posted by hroussard
Having said that, my issue with the C2 is the fact that the owner is getting taken to the cleaner with engines / gearboxes that just are not being updated when issues arise such as the infamous RMS type problems. Porsche can tell us that an engine (after warranty runs out) is a "wear-out" replaceble piece-part, that for me is just not an acceptable answer and that pickles the 996 and 997 series for me, as an owner. And, it is sad to see that some many so-called die-hard car nuts are getting lazy and opt for the automatics. That is one less skills people have... who cares that the PDK can do it faster.. Get a PS3 or Microbox and you only need your thumbs to drive fast. Just sayin..
Whatchatalkkinabout - Get a 2009+ no RMS or IMS issues -

PDK FTW..

Old 08-20-2011, 07:05 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
... My cousin's GT2 solidified my opinion of this. After driving his GT2, I could never find myself happy with the C2. ...
I apologize! I misread your sports car rank and position. You are way beneath your league discussing Porsches. I see you negotiating your next Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Super Sport along with a Koenigsegg Agera R. Nothing else fits you.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by adias
I apologize! I misread your sports car rank and position. You are way beneath your league discussing Porsches. I see you negotiating your next Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Super Sport along with a Koenigsegg Agera R. Nothing else fits you.
Apology accepted.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average.

Quick Reply: Are there cars out there which are substantially better than the 911?