997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Question for CA members...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 12:14 AM
fgolffm is infamous around these parts
Hre c 93

Has any one have wheel crack

Old 08-29-2011, 08:37 PM
LETS Race it is infamous around these parts
still attempting to understand why someone would need a gun while traveling and not for hunting purposes....that's just me...

Old 08-30-2011, 11:31 AM
norton has a spectacular aura aboutnorton has a spectacular aura aboutnorton has a spectacular aura about
Why would you need a weapon..

A valid question, Let's Race It-- primarily because where I travel across the West is far from Law Enforcement reach. The great roads and scenery are very remote and traveling with a Porsche and wife that I care about I just feel more comfortable with a weapon available. Back during the oil embargo days-- of mandatory 55 mph speed limits-- the wife and I were crossing northern AZ at 10 PM in November en route to Colorado when we passed about 30-45 bikers-- these were outlaw bikers, not the dentist and accountant bikers you see today. They were going about 55-65 mph and since I was cruising at 80 (in a 944!) I pulled way left to pass them and didn't pull back into the right lane until 100 yards ahead of them. I didn't kick any debris or dirt up-- I have biked for 40 years, I know what I am doing. 5 of them broke from the pack and came after me. they finally dropped back after a 5 minute chase that had me cruising at 115 mph-- it had to be at least mid 40 degrees out and with the wind chill for them way below freezing. I don't think they did it for the fun of it. They never would have caught me; the 944 was good for a solid 125 mph and would have held it far after they would have run out of gas, but that didn't stop me from having the wife get the 9mm from the golve box and easily available to me-- just in case..... It's a dangerous world we live in and I just feel more comfortable with the odds a little more even with me armed....

Old 08-30-2011, 01:06 PM
mathfuzzy is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by norton
Arizona boy driving my C2S to San Diego and then up the coast to Monterry in a few weeks.

I usually throw my 80's vintage Passport radar detector (still works good!)in the car for roadtrips, along with a 10mm pistol in the glove box (in a holster) in case of..... well just in case I need it.

Haven't been to Cali in a few years-- what are the laws on radar detectors on the windshield and weapons in a holster in the glovebox?

It used to be in AZ that if a weapon was in a holster and in a closed glovebox the element of "accessability" was denied to consider it a concealed weapon. But I know CA used to have much stricter laws....

Thanks!
A little off topic from the two questions asked and substantially answered - here's some unsolicited advice about the drive to Carmel / Monterey.

I'm guessing you're planning to drive Highway 1, rather than 101 to Monterey. If not, you should. Having done it a few dozen times, here's my formula to optimize the driving experience (which is to say, NOT having to contend with long lines of cars that are impossible or dangerous to pass and which are extremely in the way of you, your car's capabilities and your fun).

1 - Stay in San Luis Obispo / Pismo Beach / Etc. the night before
2 - Don't drink "too" much the night before
3 - Get up and out just before dawn
4 - Do it on a week day - even Friday is fine
5 - Preferably not between Memorial Day and Labor Day
6 - Do this alone or with a partner who is a)willing to make one of the best drives in the world a priority, a1)willing to get up early in support of a, b)trusts your judgement and driving ability, and thus c)doesn't become a squeek in the passenger seat
7 - Enjoy brunch in Carmel after one of the best drives this fine country has to offer...and before Ocean Avenue gets crazy busy

The last time I followed this procedure, which was in early March this year, I got to drive at 7/10ths the whole way, only had to pass half a dozen cars in the twisties, and each and every one of them displayed familiarity with the use of their mirrors and GREAT road ettiquette.

On the use of your radar detector - good luck with that. I have taken to driving 9 miles over the limit on the freeways, and letting the 'other guy' get the lidar ticket.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:13 PM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
Porsche and Gun Laws: sounds like a question you would see coming from one of us in Texas!