997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Bad day- smashed door! Body shop needed in NY

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 06:19 PM
forbes210 is infamous around these parts
Bad day- smashed door! Body shop needed in NY

So on my way home I wanted to stop by to local deli to get something to drink. While I was getting in a parking lot a guy backed up into me. I saw him coming and started honking but he kept on going and hit my door. My car is 2006 carrera s in seal gray. Looks like door panel got to be replaced. Doesn't seems like anything else got damaged. Do you have any idea whats the cost of replacing the panel and painting? How it will effect value of the car? Should I go to dealer to fix it? Thanks in advance.

Attached Images   
Old 08-29-2011, 06:28 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Sorry for your mishap. I find parking lots to be the most nerve-wracking places to be, as so many people don't know how to look properly when exiting a slot, or drive too fast in the alley-ways to allow you to safely back out of yours. Lucky your door was the only panel affected. Given all the pieces inside the door, I expect you might need a new door so it won't be cheap. I would take it to a fully qualified and reputable body shop with Porsche experience. I would hope that if properly done, it shouldn't affect the value of the car. Good luck.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:39 PM
Keninirvine: You are right about parking lots and people driving without any order. It was clearly his fault so ether him or his insurance should cover it. I checked the door panel on "oem porsche parts" and its around $415 plus shipping so its not terrible. I'm more concern about the final effect.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:46 PM
930slantnose is a jewel in the rough930slantnose is a jewel in the rough930slantnose is a jewel in the rough
If you are in brooklyn i have the perfect body shop you will be very happy with work let me know
thx mike 718 880 6065

Old 08-30-2011, 03:52 AM
Thanks Mike. I'll check it out tomorrow.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:35 AM
Clay1G is a glorious beacon of lightClay1G is a glorious beacon of lightClay1G is a glorious beacon of lightClay1G is a glorious beacon of lightClay1G is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by forbes210
Keninirvine: You are right about parking lots and people driving without any order. It was clearly his fault so ether him or his insurance should cover it. I checked the door panel on "oem porsche parts" and its around $415 plus shipping so its not terrible. I'm more concern about the final effect.
What was his explanation for not seeing/hearing you? I'm normally an even-tempered guy but if someone hit me like this guy hit you I think I would go ballistic.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:36 AM
PasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to all
I also have a shop in Canarsie (Brooklyn) pm me if u need their contact info.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:31 AM
WG_moots has a spectacular aura aboutWG_moots has a spectacular aura aboutWG_moots has a spectacular aura about
I had a woman back into me in a parking lot last year, I was in my CaymanS. She scraped my front bumper ... her excuse was that she didn't see me and that her stereo was too loud to hear my horn. I was fuming!!

Document it, get it fixed properly and it wont affect the value.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:01 AM
JT997 is infamous around these parts
Sorry to hear this. I, too, hate parking lots. In fact, a lot of the body shops around here say that a good chunk of their work comes from dings/dents caused in our work parking lot.
I have a hard time believing that it won't affect the value. Of course, a proper job may have less of an effect, but I am sure there will still be some acquired depreciation. A similar thing happened to me in my Cayenne. I had door damage, that was fixed at a very reputable body shop, it was actually the shop the local dealer told me to go to and said it was the one they use. The did a great job repairing the door, but the end result was that it resulted in a Carfax reported accident, so the value was dinged.
Think about it, would you buy a use car with a Carfax incident like that?

Old 08-30-2011, 10:13 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
You'll want to go to Rojo Collision in Brooklyn if you're anywhere in the 5 boros.

Years ago they were THE place to go for any kind of paint or body work. Assuming nothing's changed, you'll be very happy with their work. Ask for Jimmy (owner).

Ironically, someone backed into me this past weekend in a parking lot too. Must be a full moon or something.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:29 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
easy fix, luckily it did not hit the other panel or lowers. could have been worse and at least it was not a hit and run, she will be good as new in no time.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:24 AM
bwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to all
If Yonkers is more convenient for you, call Gabriel Sportscars (914) 965-1888 and speak to Frank. Tell them Brian Wiele referred you. They have done repairs on my cars in the past and they do an excellent job.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:56 PM
K997 is infamous around these partsK997 is infamous around these parts
Bummer ... sorry to hear about the damage. The plus side is it probably won't affect resale value. You didn't damage the frame or anything, just the "skin" really. Not sure about the cost of repair though ...