997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

> 2 million in sports cars impounded - not a single Porsche

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 11:45 AM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Well...NOT to stir it up!
I am all for IF you can afford to give it to your kids then by all means BUT they need to be more than responsible....just for the reason that people are expecting this out of them when driving such fast/expensive cars.But lets face it...they could of been in a Toyota Prius and done the same thing,regardless of the cars,people need to be accountable for their actions!
Did the cars amplify the issue....IMO,of-course but like I posted above "they need to be more than responsible....just for the reason that people are expecting this out of them when driving such fast/expensive cars"

I believe the cars are not registered to them thus creating an issue to seizure.....I cannot see how they could seize a car that does not belong to the driver.Like me lending you my car and YOU getting it seized.....How did I know what you were going to do? Which makes me think that they need to go after the driver at this point......and YES jail may be a bit harsh for speeding BUT 200 km/hr in an 80 km/hr zone is ridiculous....mid afternoon in traffic,even IF only witnessed by more than a few motorists...this surely should include some jail time,IF it can be proven in a court of law OR,at the very least,a VERY VERY stiff penalty,IMO! Maybe take their licenses away for 5 years(just a thought).....
Speeding is one thing,which we are ALL guilty of BUT 120 over the posted speed limit? One of them has a past record for street racing as well and,I think I read/heard,one had no valid drivers license!
Eye witnesses did say that two cars slowed traffic while the others raced....and again,witnessed by more than a few motorists!
Lets face aren't most cases that the police prosecute built on eye witness testimony?
IF jail was included for these offences and enforced......think they would have done it anyway?!Taking their cars away.....probably no big deal to them,they will just replace them!
IMO,they need to make people think twice before doing such actions and IF the penalty is stiff enough...they will think twice!
STOP this ridiculous behaviour BEFORE anyone does get killed....especially an innocent family because by then it is too late!
Just my $.02 BUT....I guess we will see how it all unfolds!

Stacy

Last edited by justatoy; 09-09-2011 at 12:08 PM.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:30 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
I like that - 6 had "N" tags for new driver! Really funny to see that tag on some of those cars, I wondered what it was.
And 6 were driving daddies' weekend car while he was at work! Hopefully those kids are dead meat at least at home.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:24 PM
LETS Race it is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by GAM3OVR
I don't care if I'm a fkin BILLIONAIRE, my kids would NEVER own/drive cars like that. A reasonable 5 series perhaps but would that be the limit.
My kid will get a used piece of crap for their first car. He'll never get a free car from me. Just how I was raised....

Old 09-09-2011, 07:45 PM
LETS Race it is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Scoper
Doh! I see so many amazing cars in Vancouver, every year I go. Haven't seen them being driven by sub-20 year olds though... Someone's got nice parents!!
Yeah I was just there two weeks ago. Wondering why all the nice cars....

Old 09-09-2011, 07:56 PM
Vancouver-BC is a jewel in the roughVancouver-BC is a jewel in the roughVancouver-BC is a jewel in the rough
The high-end car dealers in Vancouver are having a good year. One guy indicated this was his best year ever, another at the local Porsche dealership said they have clients, that just want the most expensive car on the lot or the one with the most options. I wonder how long it will last?

Old 09-11-2011, 11:29 AM
wa2fast is a splendid one to beholdwa2fast is a splendid one to beholdwa2fast is a splendid one to beholdwa2fast is a splendid one to beholdwa2fast is a splendid one to beholdwa2fast is a splendid one to beholdwa2fast is a splendid one to behold
I'll add my 2 cents worth to Justatoy....

To add insult to injury, in the news report on TV, several of the kids were shown laughing while the cars were being impounded. That tells me they have little respect for the law, the cars, potential for injury related to what they were doing, and the public. Soooo...they deserve to be penialized.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:20 AM
Recalcitrant is just really niceRecalcitrant is just really niceRecalcitrant is just really niceRecalcitrant is just really nice
I'll start by saying somebody should smack their kids. Maybe they are giving them these cars to get them killed. They may not like the little ****s.

That being said. 120mph in these cars is not even pushing them. Like most cars doing 70.

As much as I think these parents are idiots, I am not a hypocrite. I might have sped in my car once or twice. Anybody who says they haven't done something over the speed limit in their car is a damn liar. What's your cut-off for lunacy? 10 over, 20 over, 30 over?

The FACT is they didn't wreck or hit a bus full of nuns and babies. In fact, they didn't even get caught by the police speeding.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:46 AM
superbike81 is a name known to allsuperbike81 is a name known to allsuperbike81 is a name known to allsuperbike81 is a name known to allsuperbike81 is a name known to allsuperbike81 is a name known to all
You have to put some blame on the parents and some on the kids, but don't assume just because a kid has a nice sports car that he is less responsible than the kid who "earned" his beater Jetta working at Burger King.

I was given a nearly new Corvette at age 16, and allowed to drive my father's nearly new 911 on a regular basis when I was 16, hell, I took my driving test in his 911. But does that automatically make me less responsible than a kid who isn't given the same thing by his parents? HELL NO. I was forced to be more responsible. I didn't have a job at McDonald's (I wasn't allowed to work) but I was forced to have a perfect driving record, near-perfect grades, participate in student council, honor society, and do monthly community service projects. If any of those conditions weren't met, I lost my car.

In my high school of ~2300 kids, I had one of the fastest cars, but guess who were the one's caught speeding? Guess who crashed their cars at high speeds? The most memorable ones was a kid who wrapped is 1980's Toyota Camry around a telephone pole speeding around a corner and a friend who took his mom's new Honda Accord out to "roller coaster road" and proceeded to launch off of one of the "jumps" at about 95mph and launch the car about 100ft before crashing and rolling over into a ditch.

Now during all this, what was I doing? The DAMN SPEED LIMIT! Why? Because I had a nice car that I would lose if I got a speeding ticket. Did I ever speed? Of course, but not in broad daylight like these idiots did.

This accident did not happen because the kids had supercars, this accident happened because these kids were not taught to properly respect the things they were given.

With that said, my kid will be taught properly, he will drive a sports car, and he will lose it in a split-second if he does anything stupid.

Last edited by superbike81; 09-12-2011 at 01:03 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:02 AM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Recalcitrant
I'll start by saying somebody should smack their kids. Maybe they are giving them these cars to get them killed. They may not like the little ****s.

That being said. 120mph in these cars is not even pushing them. Like most cars doing 70.

As much as I think these parents are idiots, I am not a hypocrite. I might have sped in my car once or twice. Anybody who says they haven't done something over the speed limit in their car is a damn liar. What's your cut-off for lunacy? 10 over, 20 over, 30 over?

The FACT is they didn't wreck or hit a bus full of nuns and babies. In fact, they didn't even get caught by the police speeding.
You are correct in saying the cars at 120 mph are like most doing 70 BUT because you drive one of these cars,does it gives you the right to go over double the posted speed limit...IN traffic! I would like to think that that when you said you sped in your car(lets assume at a high rate of speed) that you chose your time and place better than the 13 cars above(3 PM in traffic).
I admit our laws are a bit harsh when it come to speeding but my cut off for lunacy(as you posted) would be 50 over(not the 120 over these cars did) only because,like I posted above,they did it mid afternoon IN TRAFFIC and were racing.There needs to be some discretion on when it comes to WHERE the offence took place,IMO.Also,fact that they had a "N" on the back(new driver).If you are NOT familiar with that "N"...it is a novice license that prohibits certain things while driving....

When you post this......"In fact, they didn't even get caught by the police speeding.".....makes no sense in wether they get charged or not.Many cases are prosecuted with eye witness testimony and NOT with police catching them first hand....

And the fact that they didn't hit or kill someone shouldn't dictate whether they get punished or not,IMO......because WHEN they finally do kill somebody,it is too late and we all will say they need to ENFORCE these tougher laws!
BUT again this is my $.02 and anyone that disagrees may feel differently IF it was one of their children,wife or family members that gets killed by street racers!

Last edited by justatoy; 09-12-2011 at 10:29 AM.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:16 PM
Recalcitrant is just really niceRecalcitrant is just really niceRecalcitrant is just really niceRecalcitrant is just really nice
Originally Posted by justatoy
You are correct in saying the cars at 120 mph are like most doing 70 BUT because you drive one of these cars,does it gives you the right to go over double the posted speed limit...IN traffic! I would like to think that that when you said you sped in your car(lets assume at a high rate of speed) that you chose your time and place better than the 13 cars above(3 PM in traffic).
I admit our laws are a bit harsh when it come to speeding but my cut off for lunacy(as you posted) would be 50 over(not the 120 over these cars did) only because,like I posted above,they did it mid afternoon IN TRAFFIC and were racing.There needs to be some discretion on when it comes to WHERE the offence took place,IMO.Also,fact that they had a "N" on the back(new driver).If you are NOT familiar with that "N"...it is a novice license that prohibits certain things while driving....

When you post this......"In fact, they didn't even get caught by the police speeding.".....makes no sense in wether they get charged or not.Many cases are prosecuted with eye witness testimony and NOT with police catching them first hand....

And the fact that they didn't hit or kill someone shouldn't dictate whether they get punished or not,IMO......because WHEN they finally do kill somebody,it is too late and we all will say they need to ENFORCE these tougher laws!
BUT again this is my $.02 and anyone that disagrees may feel differently IF it was one of their children,wife or family members that gets killed by street racers!
Whether or not you get caught does make sense for speeding. If they don't radar or measure your speed, it makes it difficult to charge you. Maybe Canada has magic or something. A cop in the US has to see you speeding. Racing, also difficult to prove. Eye witnesses are notoriously unreliable.

Just for discussion, your reasoning puts 40mph in a 20mph as lunacy. It puts 120mph in an 80mph zone as just speeding. I don't think that logic is reasonable.

How about we charge everybody who could have killed somebody by speeding 20 mph over? The slippery slope of "finally do kill" somebody is indeed that. I don't compare this to firing a gun into a crowd and hitting nobody. Do you? They didn't set out to hurt anybody. And BTW, they didn't.

I don't know about Canada, but my opinion is in the US it's better to be stupid and drive like crap and kill somebody than to get a DWI or street race without hitting anybody or hurting anything. The punishment would be less severe for the incompetent driver.

Again, I'm not saying what they did was smart. Just make the punishment fit the crime. If they did this in $500 Honda's, the punishment is to confiscate a $500 Honda. But taking $200K for this is a bit excessive in my opinion.

I'll concede that American's have a different take on law and different legal systems, so maybe that's where our conflict is. Respectfully.

Last edited by Recalcitrant; 09-12-2011 at 02:18 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by Recalcitrant
Whether or not you get caught does make sense for speeding. If they don't radar or measure your speed, it makes it difficult to charge you. Maybe Canada has magic or something. A cop in the US has to see you speeding. Racing, also difficult to prove. Eye witnesses are notoriously unreliable.

Just for discussion, your reasoning puts 40mph in a 20mph as lunacy. It puts 120mph in an 80mph zone as just speeding. I don't think that logic is reasonable.

How about we charge everybody who could have killed somebody by speeding 20 mph over? The slippery slope of "finally do kill" somebody is indeed that. I don't compare this to firing a gun into a crowd and hitting nobody. Do you? They didn't set out to hurt anybody. And BTW, they didn't.

I don't know about Canada, but my opinion is in the US it's better to be stupid and drive like crap and kill somebody than to get a DWI or street race without hitting anybody or hurting anything. The punishment would be less severe for the incompetent driver.

Again, I'm not saying what they did was smart. Just make the punishment fit the crime. If they did this in $500 Honda's, the punishment is to confiscate a $500 Honda. But taking $200K for this is a bit excessive in my opinion.

I'll concede that American's have a different take on law and different legal systems, so maybe that's where our conflict is. Respectfully.
Not to argue with you BUT rather point out my view on this......

I agree that you may see the laws differently where you are compared to how I feel here BUT one thing for sure IF one of your family members was killed by a street racer going 20 MPH over the limit...you surely would want them to pay...wouldn't you?

"Eye witnesses are notoriously unreliable."

I am willing to bet that there are plenty of people in jail in your area due to eye witness testimony....the police CANNOT see every criminal action.IF eye witness testimony is not enough....you,me and everyone else is in trouble.Think how many crimes would happen if this was true.

FWIW.....I said 50 over NOT the "40 in a 20 zone" you mentioned and I also put in the fact that it would be relevant to being in a street race never-mind that the race was in mid afternoon.......
Speeding 50 over is one thing....street racing and DWI is whole new game and should carry a harsher penalty FOR SURE.....and these guys were racing,according to eye witness'.

"I don't know about Canada, but my opinion is in the US it's better to be stupid and drive like crap and kill somebody than to get a DWI or street race without hitting anybody or hurting anything. The punishment would be less severe for the incompetent driver."

As far as DWI or street race.....it is the same here and the charges are way worse IF you injure someone under those circumstances.
BUT realistically,what do you think(this is just your opinion) would be a suffice punishment(for street racing) to stop these people from risking the lives of innocent victims...BEFORE they hammer down the gas pedal! NOT to condone it BUT there is a time and place that limits the chance of killing/injuring someone other than yourself.What they chose to do was just the opposite(3pm in traffic),which,IMO,should also lend a hand in determining their punishment!

WOW..do I sound like a 'FUD-Duddy",LOL.....
To be totally honest...when working/tuning my car I always did it early morning(4 AM) when the roads were empty and it was a 4 lane hwy with NO driveways,NO pedestrians so that IF something did happen.....it was ONLY me that would have been injured.I even went out for a spirited comparison drive with a Lambo and Aston Martin one afternoon.....and my rules BEFORE driving was NO passing each other,keep a safe distance back from one another and IF any car was around......SLOW down BEFORE that car came into range.I am definitely NOT saying that what I did was right....but it would stop innocent people from getting injured.I personally couldn't live with myself IF I took another life due to my negligence!

I HAVE no idea BUT it has to stop and like I have said many times before......"Before another innocent person PAYS with their life" You CANNOT argue that!
Taking that $200K car to them is probably like taking a $500 honda from me....

Funny thing is you and I can agree,disagree and share our opinions BUT in the grand scheme of things....the justice system is all we have and our opinions won't change a thing!
BUT we have had cars seized here in the past!

Cheers,

Stacy

Last edited by justatoy; 09-12-2011 at 03:56 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:45 PM
I agree with you on many of the points. I am a believer of accidents are accidents. I would certainly be upset if a loved one got killed.....by anybody. Racing or not. Cell phone users are more likely going to be the culprits that run me into the ditch!

My only point is that our laws are way out of whack. Somebody should probably just paddle all the youngsters in those cars...Oh wait. They'd get arrested for disciplining their kids.

Cheers. JR