997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Best 911 for under $60k USD?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 12:33 AM
LETS Race it is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by simsgw
Let me assume you're not worried about the fastest quarter mile run. (If you were, a modded Cayman or a ten-year-old turbo would be your best bet.) If you just want the best combination sports car *** GT you can buy for that money, I'd suggest starting your search with the 'base' Carrera. Porsche is very consistent as they move from one generation to the next. The base Carrera is always nearly as fast in car magazines as the S from the previous generation. Never quite. It may be a tenth slower to sixty for example, so it offers comfort to people who just bought the older model in the S specification, while also being a better car. It always delivers that "almost as fast" with more aplomb than the previous model S and the actual 'feel' of the car is always comparable.

With that basic advice, here's what I found in a quick check of a car-buying service my bank offers. Within 300 miles of my home in Southern California, dealers are offering seven cars at prices between fifty and sixty thousand. Two are the 2006 model year and the rest are 2007. They go from 23,000 to 40,000 on the odometer, with 'typical' being high twenties to low thirties. Those are all good mileages to be honest. Porsche recommends 9,000 miles per year without special attention to "sitting in the garage" issues in maintenance and these cars are five years old, so even the one with 40k miles is low mileage by the manufacturer's guideline.

The one with only 23,000 is a 2006, which is how it got elevated into the same range with cars one year newer. The other 2006 has 33,000 and is an S. Nothing wrong with that of course. I wasn't knocking the S above, just pointing out that a next generation 'base' usually comes very close to the current generation S. That one has 355 hp for example, and the current generation 'base' model Carrera has 345 hp with a fatter torque curve.

The generation we're looking at is the 997.1 in Porsche-speak. The current one is 997.2 so these cars are definitely not outdated by any means. Honestly, Porsches don't get out of date in sports car terms. The newer they are, the better they combine modern convenience with their sport car traits, but the difference between a "dot one" and a "dot two" isn't worth worrying about with your first buy. Now, a friend has a lovely 1984 model that is a delight on the race track, but its suspension is a tad harsh and the air conditioning isn't. Just is not, because he pulled it out when it became too much trouble for the wisp of coolish air it pumped. He trailers it to the track now. My 2009 isn't more delightful, just a lot faster and the air conditioner would chill a barracks. That's what I mean about Porsches and "old age". For the money you're talking, you'll get a very nice and very modern (and bloody fast) car if you look for Carreras in the model year 2007 and leave yourself open to nice examples from 2006. The typical price is in the high fifties which leaves you room for any customizing you might want, and for the tax and license if that is to be included in your 60k budget.

Summary: First look for the livability options you want in a daily driver; then look for the nice performance touches like whether it's an S or not; then add it to your list. When you have some favorites, spend some of that reserve on a good PPI, a pre-purchase inspection by a third party.

Some websites to visit for an idea of possibilities:Hope this helps, and we look forward to you coming back to the forum with pictures of your Porsche.

Gary
That was extremely well researched with awesome details Gary. Remind me to contact you when I start looking for another used PCar.....which is probably in another 3 months.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:47 AM
LambOfGod is infamous around these partsLambOfGod is infamous around these partsLambOfGod is infamous around these parts
I was in your same shoes. I owned a 335, M3, 540, S4, and was thinking about buying a new BMW again this year. The price of the cars are so high now I decided to bite the bullet and finally get my Porsche dream car and buy a less expensive grocery getter for the wife and 15 year old to drive. I have a company car and they cannot drive it. Fortunately I have access to Manheim so I can see what the cars are trading for and black book prices. I was able to find a fairly clean 2008 C2S with leather, nav, power seats and 28k miles for $58k. This $2k less than they had it for on Auction. I suspect that the car might go for $6-8K retail. My car is very clean with no dents or dings and the interior is perfect. It's not perfect but I'm happy with it.

You should be able to find something in that price range but I suspect that you'll find more selections in a C2. There are 106 911's 2007-08 on Manheim Auction but only a couple C2S. There are a lot of cabs and turbo's to choose from but all are out of your price range.

Plus, if you buy a 2008 it will still have a factory warranty. My car still has a year left on it.

Originally Posted by Skullbussa
I understand this is not a princely sum of money to many of you but if your budget were limited to $60k or less and you were pretty much set on some sort of Porsche 911, which model and year would you shoot for?

I'm looking for a rewarding driving experience that I'm not really getting with the e92 M3. I don't care about back seats. I do care about being connected to the road and having fun in my car.

Lack of bluetooth and iPod connectivity stinks, but as long as an aftermarket solution exists, I'm fine with that as well.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Old 09-07-2011, 12:15 PM
simsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by LETS Race it
That was extremely well researched with awesome details Gary. Remind me to contact you when I start looking for another used PCar.....which is probably in another 3 months.
Certainly, LETS.

Gary